Moving Compass

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

winty

Vessel Make
'81 CHB34
I would like to install a MFD for radar/chart plotter in place of the current compass.

Can I move the compass to the centerline on the dash, forward of the companionway? Will the stainless window hardware cause magnetic interference?

Any suggestions on a practical alternate location for a compass?

Attachments

• compass.jpg
    compass.jpg
    151.2 KB · Views: 87
Greetings,
Mr. w. There is stainless and then there is stainless. Take a magnet of some sort and see if it is attracted to your hardware. If not, you're good to go. If it is, I think you can "swing" the compass after installation to compensate for the fixed (not moving) hardware. Could be wrong on that but I'm sure someone will correct me. Midships where you propose should be fine but will make it a bit more awkward to take a reading if necessary.

Agree with RTF, you should be able to move it to where you want but until you test you won't know for sure. One other thing that could affect the compass would be higher current carrying wiring under or near the area you want to move to.

Ken

Wouldn’t moving it that far change the lubberline and the direction “you think” you are going?

Why

I would like to install a MFD for radar/chart plotter in place of the current compass.

Can I move the compass to the centerline on the dash, forward of the companionway? Will the stainless window hardware cause magnetic interference?

Any suggestions on a practical alternate location for a compass?

Do you want/need a whiskey compass? Your chart plotter will give you the heading/direction you are going. I uninstalled mine when I painted the boat.

Also VHF radios have magnets in the speaker. You can move it parallel to the lubberline without any problem except that if you are looking at the compass from an angle to the side you may not be reading the correct heading on the compass. In an extreme case where you need to move the compass off the centerline you can use a fluxgate compass. My Azimuth can be programmed up to 45 degrees and will read the correct heading. The fluxgate will also calibrate itself to remove deviation.

Do you want/need a whiskey compass? Your chart plotter will give you the heading/direction you are going. I uninstalled mine when I painted the boat.

Good point... Southern California coastal boat, weekend use. Time to retire reliable, no electricity, no firmware, old fashion analog?

may be an insurance thing...on every boat I have insured they made a big deal about the compass...

even my current self survey for next years insurance wants a deviation card.

Mine is located where you want to locate one. I have no interference issues.1530669853105.jpeg

Yes you can move it. More awkward to read off to the side. You might be better off putting the MFD over there. Trial locations before screwing anything down.

The Taiwan SS hardware may have iron in it that could cause deviation.

Check under the surface for wire runs to cabin lights and such.
Do you have an autopilot? It will have a fluxgate compass that you can read at the helm.

Seems silly

may be an insurance thing...on every boat I have insured they made a big deal about the compass...

even my current self survey for next years insurance wants a deviation card.

I believe you about the insurance company. On my boat we have five apple products with compass apps and three chart plotters.

I have sailed my boat from Norfolk to Trinidad and back as well as from Norfolk to and through the Exumas. I doubt I ever used the compass. Not saying it can never be useful, but I think my handheld compass or compass app good enough. Were I going around the world, I would want a whiskey compass for backup.

Gordon

Back
Top Bottom