Old 08-28-2016, 04:24 PM   #1
Guru

MMSI question...

Does a VHF radio with MMSI need to be interfaced with a GPS in order for it to function in emergency mode?

ancora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2016, 04:36 PM   #2
Guru

City: North Carolina for now
Vessel Name: Small Incentive
Vessel Model: Boston Whaler 130 Sport
No, but it doesn't serve much of a purpose if it's not, other to get a lot of resources fired up with nowhere to go. And they will know who sent it out that way.

"There's the Right Way, the Wrong Way, and what some guy says he's gotten away with"
caltexflanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2016, 05:30 PM   #3
TF Site Team

City: California Delta and SF Bay
Vessel Name: FlyWright
Vessel Model: Marshall Californian 34 LRC
If there's no built-in GPS, it'll need a GPS input to function properly. It's a relatively simple task to complete.

Custom Google Trawler Forum Search
FlyWright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2016, 05:47 PM   #4
Guru

City: Windsor
Vessel Name: Keeper IV
Vessel Model: 44 Viking ACMY
Quote:
Originally Posted by ancora View Post
Does a VHF radio with MMSI need to be interfaced with a GPS in order for it to function in emergency mode?
As above . it needs the GPS input so it can send your location with the mayday.

mbevins is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2016, 11:02 AM   #5
Guru

I'd like to hook up my hand held GPS to the radio but I am using the adaptor for a 12 VDC feed. Is there a splitter available so I can get the data brown wire to the radio?
Old 08-30-2016, 01:09 PM   #6
Guru

City: Jacksonville
Vessel Name: SONAS
Vessel Model: Grand Alaskan 53
I actually have two MMSIs.

One I applied for when I got Sonas and wanted the ships radio license. So that MMSI is in both radios.

The other in is the AIS. The AIS had an MMSI already under the previous owners name. I had them release it to me and switched it over. I would like to change the AIS to the same as on the radios, but to do that I need to take it out and ship it to the manufacturer with proof of my MMSI. Not sure why I want to do that frankly.
menzies is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2016, 01:20 PM   #7
Guru

City: Gig Harbor
Vessel Name: Kinship
Vessel Model: North Pacific 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by menzies View Post
I actually have two MMSIs.

One I applied for when I got Sonas and wanted the ships radio license. So that MMSI is in both radios.

The other in is the AIS. The AIS had an MMSI already under the previous owners name. I had them release it to me and switched it over. I would like to change the AIS to the same as on the radios, but to do that I need to take it out and ship it to the manufacturer with proof of my MMSI. Not sure why I want to do that frankly.
I'm sure there are good reasons, but it has always bothered me that once you set a MMSI into a device, it is there permanently. I was fortunate that the PO of my current boat never applied for a MMSI. It was easy for me to get the license and MMSI and just enter it into the radio.

Dave
SPOT page
dhays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2016, 01:39 PM   #8
Guru

Most radios will allow two or three changes, then they lock.

AIS systems however usually do not allow ANY changes - probably for security reasons. You have to send off the box to have it changed. Just too much of a hassle. Though I did read somewhere when researching this that some manufacturers will send you a laptop program to do it a single time if you satisfy certain proof that it is your AIS and MMSI.
Old 08-30-2016, 01:41 PM   #9
Guru

City: Cape May, NJ and Englewood, FL
Vessel Name: Irish Lady
Quote:
Yes unless the GPS is built into the radio. You want it interfaced to a GPS that is almost always on.
1984 Monk 36 Hull #46
Englewood, FL and Cape May, NJ
High Wire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2016, 01:58 PM   #10
Guru

Even the "locked" devices , such as a radio that has had two entries, can be sent to a factory service center and "unlocked". Not that big a deal. What you want to be sure of is that the PO has discontinued his registration.

"There's the Right Way, the Wrong Way, and what some guy says he's gotten away with"
Old 08-30-2016, 02:11 PM   #11
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by caltexflanc View Post
Even the "locked" devices , such as a radio that has had two entries, can be sent to a factory service center and "unlocked". Not that big a deal. What you want to be sure of is that the PO has discontinued his registration.
On my AIS he actually gave me his ID and Password for the BoatUS MMSI registration site so that I could release it to myself and then use that site to re-register it. SO I know the AIS MMSI is now registered to me.

I also needed to re-register the EPIRB.
Old 08-30-2016, 02:27 PM   #12
Guru

From USDHS Navigation Center

Obtaining MMSIs for DSC-equipped VHF Handhelds

A handheld VHF transceiver with DSC and an integral global navigation satellite system (e.g. GPS) not intended for dedicated use on a particular ship (e.g. a diver’s radio) should be assigned a unique 9-digit number in the format 81M2I3D4X5X6X7X8X9. While currently means do not exist within the U.S. to assign such identities, the Coast Guard has been in discussions with the Federal communications Commission and others on implementing them.

In the interim, VHF handhelds used in the United States should use the MMSI assigned to the ship to which the handheld is primarily associated, even if another radio on that ship uses the same MMSI. Non-commercial users of VHF handhelds not primarily associated with any single ship may use an MMSI provided by an organization such as BOAT US, SEA TOW and U.S. Power Squadron (see above). VHF handhelds should not be used ashore absent FCC or NTIA authorization allowing such use.
Old 08-30-2016, 06:13 PM   #13
Guru

Now I am lookin' at a compact puck GPS as a dedicated adjunct to the VHF radio, but it needs a 5 volt dc power source. Startin' to have a bad feelin' about buyin' this radio.
Old 08-30-2016, 06:24 PM   #14
Guru

City: Cape May, NJ and Englewood, FL
Vessel Name: Irish Lady
Quote:
Now I am lookin' at a compact puck GPS as a dedicated adjunct to the VHF radio, but it needs a 5 volt dc power source. Startin' to have a bad feelin' about buyin' this radio.
Check out the Standard Horizon GX2200 with internal GPS and AIS receiver. Worth it IMHO.
1984 Monk 36 Hull #46
Englewood, FL and Cape May, NJ
High Wire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2016, 06:25 PM   #15
Guru

You don't have a GPS device on the boat?

Old 08-30-2016, 06:26 PM   #16

City: San Diego
Vessel Name: Chelsea Rose
Vessel Model: Helmsman 43 PH: on order
Quote:
Might be easier to buy a new one. I recently bought a floating, MMSI, GPS enabled VHF with decent power for the ditch bag and it was very reasonable.
Fletcher500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2016, 07:08 PM   #17
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by High Wire View Post
Check out the Standard Horizon GX2200 with internal GPS and AIS receiver. Worth it IMHO.
I just had the yard put in the GX2200W two weeks ago as my FB VHF was going south. When they first recommended it I was a bit shocked at the price, but when they explained the capabilities and basically said "with the boat you have and the places you are going, this is what you want to have up there!"
Old 08-30-2016, 07:24 PM   #18
TF Site Team

City: California Delta and SF Bay
Vessel Name: FlyWright
Vessel Model: Marshall Californian 34 LRC
I wouldn't try to do that with a handheld, although some handhelds have a built-in GPS with DSC. Get a real radio and a real GPS receiver. And not a puck - those are for laptops.

Custom Google Trawler Forum Search
FlyWright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2016, 09:49 AM   #19
Guru

Can't see puttin' out a lotta bucks for our one Catalina trip a year. Never get more than 30 miles off-shore.
Old 09-01-2016, 10:16 AM   #20
Guru

I installed the VHF radio (flush mount) and will be hookin' up my Garmin hand-held GPS utilizin' the Garmin adapter cord. Would like to route 12VDC through the same cord to eliminate battery usage. Any thoughts on that?