MMSI# How long to get it?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MurrayM

Guru
Vessel Name
Badger
Vessel Make
30' Sundowner Tug
I just ordered a VHF DSC radio with GPS and was wondering how long it takes to get a MMSI number once the forms are filled out, and does it become activated as soon as the number is programmed into the radio?

It might take a while to get here and summer holidays are coming up.

I just ordered a VHF DSC radio with GPS and was wondering how long it takes to get a MMSI number once the forms are filled out, and does it become activated as soon as the number is programmed into the radio?

It might take a while to get here and summer holidays are coming up.

IIRC you can get one from BOatUS online instantly, but if you want the proper fully international one you need to apply to the CG online and wait, but once applied you can call and check orlook online and get it sentby email same day. We got our full intrernational one and radio callsign that way in 36 hours max, in tin time for the pro-installer to load it into our system for DSC VHF and AIS It is not supposed to be user programmable but they do give you one shot to enter it correctly first time out of the box.

Unless going truly 'foreign' the BoatUs route is simplest, it just means if you press the red button outside of USA waters your details are not recognised by the worldwide international rescue folks, only local north American ones. The boatUs version can be transferred if the boat or radio is subsequently sold, the full one YOU have to cancel and the new owner starts again from scratch, plus you need a pro-installer to re-program the set as it is not an owner permitted change ( by international law)

Thanks. The radio doesn't have AIS (we use a Spot Messenger for family to know where we are and boat traffic is infrequent) and we'll be using it in Canadian waters.

Presumably, since the registration process is through a government of Canada website, it will automatically link up with the USCG if we ever go north or south into the US..?

It should Murray. My guess is that CA may be quicker than the US.

Thanks Dave. You're heading north this summer, aren't you?

Right, you will need to do it through whatever CN service assigns the numbers. Getting a number in the US either through the FCC or BoatUs is sub 48 hrs. Boatus I think is on the spot.

I'd be interested to hear how the process works in canada, and how long it takes. Once you have the number you can program it into the VHF and you are ready to go with VHF distress signaling. The only thing that likely has a delay is addition of your number and information into the international database. But that won't stop a response to an alert. It will just mean the SAR people won't know who or what they are looking for.

Congrats on he addition. I think a DSC vhf is one of the easiest and best safety devices you can add.

Thanks Dave. You're heading north this summer, aren't you?
North is relative. I will only make it as far as Desolation Sound and maybe the Octopus Island area.

Truly going North will have to wait a few years.

Right, you will need to do it through whatever CN service assigns the numbers. Getting a number in the US either through the FCC or BoatUs is sub 48 hrs. Boatus I think is on the spot.

I'd be interested to hear how the process works in canada, and how long it takes. Once you have the number you can program it into the VHF and you are ready to go with VHF distress signaling. The only thing that likely has a delay is addition of your number and information into the international database. But that won't stop a response to an alert. It will just mean the SAR people won't know who or what they are looking for.

Congrats on he addition. I think a DSC vhf is one of the easiest and best safety devices you can add.

This was demonstrated to us recently.

Someone in a small open boat had been cutting firewood on an island about 10 miles out of town. Apparently he accidentally knocked the drain plug from the transom and made a brief, hasty mayday call as the boat filled with water. He then ran his boat up the beach before it sank, but was then in a "shadow" where his radio wouldn't work.

We started making our way there when the Coast Guard requested boats in the area to respond, but several faster boats got there first.

The boat close to shore couldn't talk with the Coast Guard so they were doing a relay to the boat further out. (I think the repeater station/radio tower for the coast guard is at the top of the island where this was taking place).

From the Coast Guards perspective it was very confusing, time consuming, frustrating, and completely inefficient.

That got me thinking about how, in a real emergency, it could be critical to get the basic information (vessel, number of passengers, location) to the Coast Guard in the fastest, most efficient way possible.

Might be the best investment I ever made...

North is relative. I will only make it as far as Desolation Sound and maybe the Octopus Island area.

Truly going North will have to wait a few years.

Same for us going south of Cape Caution :thumb:

The VHF DSC radios are a great little safety device. Simple and foolproof.

btw Murray - You will also need to connect your GPS plotter to your VHF to feed your position data with the radio transmission signal.

Here in Australia MMSI numbers can only be issued after passing a one day VHF radio course. Then its a simple process of online registration of your details with the same organization that records data on Epirb's. They record assorted information on your boat including photo's. You can also keep them up to date with significant cruises that you may do.

I got mine a few months ago and IIRC it only took a couple weeks.

Got one a while back, only took a few weeks. Was told that BoatUS could not issue one if boat was to be used out of US waters.

I got mine in under a week last September. Emailed the form to ic.spectrumsurrey-surreyspectre.ic@canada.ca.

The form I found on the Canadian website is titled: "CPC-2-3-07 Annex I — Maritime Identity Application Form: Hand-held VHF Transceivers With DSC and GNSS Not Associated With a Ship Station or Vessel"

(being brief does not seem a focus :) )

Was easy and efficient. They emailed me the number back.

Good luck!

Some radios now have their own GPS capability. Those without this capability will need the GPS hookup that AusCan mentions above.

This radio (Standard Horizon GX1700) has GPS.

I got mine in under a week last September. Emailed the form to ic.spectrumsurrey-surreyspectre.ic@canada.ca.

The form I found on the Canadian website is titled: "CPC-2-3-07 Annex I — Maritime Identity Application Form: Hand-held VHF Transceivers With DSC and GNSS Not Associated With a Ship Station or Vessel"

(being brief does not seem a focus :) )

Was easy and efficient. They emailed me the number back.

Good luck!

Was yours for a hand held radio?

This one seems more appropriate for us; Annex A; CPC-2-3-07 Annex A — MMSI Application Form: Ship Station With VHF/DSC Only, Unlicensed Radio - Spectrum management and telecommunications

Use this application form if the vessel does not require a radio licence and if the radio equipment on board consists of one or more VHF/DSC radios.

Here's where I found the different options; MMSI Application Forms (Annexes) - Spectrum Direct

I don,t really remember how long ours took but I think 3-4 weeks. Give them your email address and it will be e mailed to you.
That,s how I got mine while we were in the Broughton.
I applied on line.
Just be very careful entering it as most vhf give only one try after which the vhf must be sent back to factory to clear the wrong number.

When you ask for it they want the info then, at application time, and once the number is entered it is effective.
My then new vhf was the Standard Horizon with GPS built in.

Murray:

Was yours for a hand held radio?
Mine is a Standard Horizon HX870.

I don't remember going though the different options / forms as it was a while ago, so yes another might be more appropriate. I was using the handheld on the trawler and the dinghy so stayed away from anything tied to a specific ship. I also have a EPIRB for hiking and it is registered to my home address - so perhaps the specific category is not critical? Anyway the application when through fine so I was happy!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom