Old 07-17-2014, 08:38 PM   #21
Veteran Member

City: St Augustine
Vessel Model: Mainship390
I've been to Canada and the Bahamas, nobody ever asked to see an FCC license. After reading this thread I thought I would try to log on the FCC site to get a license.
1. Needed to set myself up as a user with user name and password.
2. Then tried to look at the two required forms needed to set up payment plan and application.
3. Then required to download a Java program to download the above.
4. Java site had many programs, don't know what to download.
5. X' ed out of everything. will continue with no FCC document.

millennium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2014, 11:10 PM   #22
TF Site Team

City: Houston
Vessel Name: Baobab
Vessel Model: Bayliner 4788
Quote:
Originally Posted by millennium View Post
I've been to Canada and the Bahamas, nobody ever asked to see an FCC license. After reading this thread I thought I would try to log on the FCC site to get a license.
1. Needed to set myself up as a user with user name and password.
2. Then tried to look at the two required forms needed to set up payment plan and application.
3. Then required to download a Java program to download the above.
4. Java site had many programs, don't know what to download.
5. X' ed out of everything. will continue with no FCC document.
It is a pain but I feel worth the effort. The code you need is SA for license type and it takes 5 minutes to complete after registering (and I am no computer guru!). This will give you a CG MMSI #, a ships radio license, your operators license and costs $165.00 The ships is good for 10 years and yours for life.

Old 07-18-2014, 04:36 AM   #23

City: Sharbot Lake
Vessel Name: Manatee
Vessel Model: 1976 Albin 25 DeLuxe
I got hooked up through my local Power Squadron cw applicable radio course. Surely that route is also available stateside.
Old 07-18-2014, 06:57 AM   #24
TF Site Team

City: Chicago, IL
Vessel Name: Bay Pelican
Vessel Model: Krogen 42
Another downside to MMSI numbers from Boat US. Depending on the radio it may be difficult to change the MMSI number on the radio if you later find you need the international number from the FCC. With some radios this can only be done by the manufacturer or authorized service center.
Old 07-18-2014, 07:39 AM   #25

City: Muskegon, MI
Vessel Name: Sum Escape
Vessel Model: Grand Banks 47' Europa
Quote:
Originally Posted by caltexflanc View Post
I actually found it very easy to get the MMSI and radio license from the FCC. If you are going outside the US you will want to have both from them.
+1 on that. Once you find the licenses you need, very easy on the FCC site.
sum escape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2014, 07:54 AM   #26
Guru

City: Gloucester, MA
The issue is really not the MMSI number, but the need for a Ships Station license when voyaging outside the US. Your BoatUS MMSI will work everywhere, but your boat and personal info won't be in the international database, just the local US database.

You are supposed to have a Ships Station License (SA) if you operate outside the US, and you ALSO need a Radio Operators license (RA). SA licenses the ships radio installation, and RA licenses you to operate it. Technically, every person who will operate it should have an RA license. Whether you choose to comply, and whether you will get caught and what the consequences might be is your problem to sort out.

Back to the MMSI, when you fill out the form on the FCC site to get an SA license (I just did this the other day), i recall it asking if I already had an MMSI. I didn't, so did not fill that part out, but I'll bet that if you already have a BoatUS MMSI you can continue to use it in companion with your newly minted SA license.
Old 07-18-2014, 08:06 AM   #27
TF Site Team

City: Houston
Vessel Name: Baobab
Vessel Model: Bayliner 4788
"Back to the MMSI, when you fill out the form on the FCC site to get an SA license (I just did this the other day), i recall it asking if I already had an MMSI. I didn't, so did not fill that part out, but I'll bet that if you already have a BoatUS MMSI you can continue to use it in companion with your newly minted SA license."

The instructions actually sate that if you have a non FCC MMSI# (ie BoatUS), you are to leave this blank, so you did right.
Old 07-18-2014, 08:34 AM   #28
Guru

City: North Carolina for now
Vessel Name: Small Incentive
Vessel Model: Boston Whaler 130 Sport
Quote:
Your BoatUS MMSI will work everywhere, but your boat and personal info won't be in the international database, just the local US database.
Work how? It will come up as an invalid number. If you are going outside the US get your license and your international MMSI, it is very silly and potentially dangerous not to.

"There's the Right Way, the Wrong Way, and what some guy says he's gotten away with"
caltexflanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2014, 07:30 PM   #29
Guru

City: Gloucester, MA
Quote:
Originally Posted by caltexflanc View Post
Work how? It will come up as an invalid number. If you are going outside the US get your license and your international MMSI, it is very silly and potentially dangerous not to.
Re the last part of your statement encouraging people to just get the damn license, I completely agree. Sorry if I came across otherwise. I'm personally in favor of complete compliance with all the regs. I'm just tired of, and don't want to participate in debates of what people can get away with and what corners they can cut. But it looks like I've now done just that

I'm just trying to clarify what will and what won't work independent of compliance. DSC will still work, both to call and be called. Your AIS will still work just fine. I haven't tried it, but I can't imagine why a DSC distress call wouldn't go out as well and be received and displayed by everyone receiving it. As I understand it, the only issue is that when someone goes to look up the number to get info on the boat and owner, the number won't be in the ITU databases. I don't think it will behave any differently that an FCC-issued MMSI that hasn't propagated into the ITU database yet.
Old 07-19-2014, 01:22 PM   #30
Veteran Member

City: La Petite Mort
I filled out my ship station form on the FCC page yesterday. Paid and everything....took about 10 min

Electro is offline   Reply With Quote