Old 08-30-2014, 09:37 AM   #1
Guru

City: Montgomery, TX
Vessel Model: None, but looking
Missing Y-Adapter

Got to the boat yesterday and found that some SOB had stollen our Y-Adapter. Boat was hot, all food spoiled and we're out $270+. Folks at WM told us that that was fairly common occurrence. Not much help but the new is painted a bright red color, boat name in several places and a cable locked to a cleat.

Beware,

Bob

BobH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2014, 10:06 AM   #2
Guru

City: Windsor
Vessel Name: Keeper IV
Vessel Model: 44 Viking ACMY
Similar but different. I was at USPS event that was selling peoples used boat stuff as a fund raiser. Well the same SOB that stole your adapter donated his fried POS to be sold.
I paid $100 for that thing. Love to meet the guy.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Trawler

mbevins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2014, 10:11 AM   #3
Guru

City: Hotel, CA
Two dirty deals that make my blood boil. Only thing worse than a dock thief is someone who donates defective stuff for charity sales.

It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they've been fooled - Mark Twain
CPseudonym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2014, 10:26 AM   #4
Guru

It's hanging on a hook in the garage. I really need to pitch that thing, but somehow I keep hoping it will miraculously cure itself and redeem my stupidity. I know better than to buy that kind of stuff in that environment.

Old 08-30-2014, 10:33 AM   #5
Guru

City: Thibodaux, Louisiana
Vessel Name: Gumbo
Vessel Model: 2003 Monk 36
I have boat name and phone on mine but painting it a bright, odd, color is a good idea. So is the locking cable. Was it stolen at your home marina or on a cruise?
Old 08-30-2014, 10:37 AM   #6
Guru

City: Avalon, NJ
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbevins View Post
It's hanging on a hook in the garage. I really need to pitch that thing, but somehow I keep hoping it will miraculously cure itself and redeem my stupidity. I know better than to buy that kind of stuff in that environment.

Might be easily repaired...know anyone good with electronics?
psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2014, 10:48 AM   #7
Guru

City: Hotel, CA
Quote:
I know better than to buy that kind of stuff in that environment.

I do too however as gentleman boaters we should be able expect some integrity in our dealings with other like minded individuals, especially in a charitable environment. Example, I've bought many items in our forum classified section and never thought twice about mailing a check. Never had a bad experience either as everything purchased has arrived exactly as represented. I would expect no less at a charitable sale dealing with other fellow boaters.

Similarly on a dock environment. Some druggie can have a field day if he gets on the dock as the majority of our boats do not lock up as securely as our homes. Given a half hour in the dark of night they can cause significant damage. Things like power cords are easy targets for them but that's an outsider who cares not what's at stake. A fellow boater knows exactly what's at stake as well as the cost to replace not only the item stolen but the mess that can be left behind as a result.

Brave new world and all that...

It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they've been fooled - Mark Twain
CPseudonym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2014, 11:30 AM   #8
Guru

City: St. Pete, FL
Vessel Name: Seaweed
Vessel Model: Schucker mini-trawler
Send a message via AIM to janice142 Send a message via MSN to janice142 Send a message via Yahoo to janice142 Send a message via Skype™ to janice142
Gosh, that's a sorry excuse for a human to steal your adapter. You're right to identify yours now. I've got in permanent marker Seaweed written on everything loose that might tempt someone.

Well, basically, on almost everything. It helps me too in ID'ing my stuff when it walks away.

Red would certainly help keep someone honest.
Old 08-30-2014, 11:32 AM   #9
Guru

City: Biloxi Mississippi
Vessel Name: Patricia Louise II
Vessel Model: 1983 42' Present Sundeck
Quote:
Originally Posted by psneeld View Post
Might be easily repaired...know anyone good with electronics?

I replaced the one defective 30 amp plug in ours that had arced and burned. WM had the part. (Can't recall if it was M or F). Anyway, it has worked fine since.

1983 Present 42 Sundeck
Twin Lehman 135's
✌️
Old 08-30-2014, 12:40 PM   #10
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forkliftt View Post
I replaced the one defective 30 amp plug in ours that had arced and burned. WM had the part. (Can't recall if it was M or F). Anyway, it has worked fine since.

1983 Present 42 Sundeck
Twin Lehman 135's
✌️
I'm thinking the "smart" part...which may be circuit board tuff and requiring that lever of troubleshooting...
Old 08-30-2014, 12:45 PM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

City: St. Marks, Florida
Vessel Name: Morgan
Vessel Model: Gulfstar 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by CPseudonym View Post
I've bought many items in our forum classified section and never thought twice about mailing a check. Never had a bad experience either as everything purchased has arrived exactly as represented.
Same here. I have bought a few things and sold a few things on TF, and never yet had a bad experience either way. My rule when I sell something is that if it is not as represented, then I will give you your money back with no hassle, although I try very hard to represent it as accurately as I can.
Old 08-30-2014, 12:49 PM   #12
Guru

City: Fort Pierce
Vessel Name: Florita Ann
Vessel Model: 1982 Present
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobH View Post
Got to the boat yesterday and found that some SOB had stollen our Y-Adapter. Boat was hot, all food spoiled and we're out $270+. Folks at WM told us that that was fairly common occurrence. Not much help but the new is painted a bright red color, boat name in several places and a cable locked to a cleat.

Beware,

Bob
I am sorry that happened to you, really sucks.
Mule is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2014, 12:55 PM   #13
Guru

Quote:
I'm thinking the "smart" part...which may be circuit board tuff and requiring that lever of troubleshooting...

psneeld, what is this "smart part" though speaks of?? Just curious😎Didn't realize there were electronics involved.

1983 Present 42 Sundeck
Twin Lehman 135's
✌️
Old 08-30-2014, 01:41 PM   #14
Guru

well I might have assumed incorrectly too...I was thnking a 2-30A smart or reverse "Y" to a 50A 125/250V service on the boat.

But it was just as likely a 50A 125/250V to 2-30A boatside "Y" which isn't "smart".

I'm wrapped up in upgrading to a 50A 125/250V system so that's what probably set my mind in gear...Smart "Ys" that are usually called "reverse Ys" have a go/no go system in them that if the 2-30s on the dock aren't out of phase they won't provide power (and I'm not sure about all of them or just some). Plus it doesn't allow power to the other leg to energize the "exposed prongs"....just some of the safety issues with Y stuff...
Old 08-30-2014, 02:05 PM   #15
Guru

Roger that. I'm not sure how a 50 amp single is split out to the twin 30's, but in the replacement end I installed, it was straightforward. Three wires, stripped. installed into new plug after first sliding the "boot" on.
We left our "Y" at Shell Morgan several years ago along the ICW in Louisiana. After finding out the cost of a new one, we sent a prepaid USPS package (as I recall) to Shell Morgan to ship it back to us. Being so expensive, we didn't want to risk it being too "inconvenient" to bother with 😊.

1983 Present 42 Sundeck
Twin Lehman 135's
✌️
Old 08-30-2014, 02:16 PM   #16
Guru

City: Fort Pierce
Vessel Name: Florita Ann
Vessel Model: 1982 Present
Hummm, a matched lock set, shackle just large enough to clear the cord. Bike security cable.....flexible enough to go around, through and so forth of various available cleats post and so on. Should make it I convenient enough the thieves will go after another.
Mule is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2014, 05:18 PM   #17
Guru

Quote:

Your right it's the smart portion and they "pot" them so they are not repairable. Even called the mfg.
Life in the big city.

Old 08-30-2014, 05:19 PM   #18
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mule View Post
Hummm, a matched lock set, shackle just large enough to clear the cord. Bike security cable.....flexible enough to go around, through and so forth of various available cleats post and so on. Should make it I convenient enough the thieves will go after another.
But why do we have to do this just to keep what we worked for.

Old 08-30-2014, 06:20 PM   #19
Guru

Quote:
Your right it's the smart portion and they "pot" them so they are not repairable. Even called the mfg.
Life in the big city.

Not even with a sawzall to get in??? ...before I tossed it...I'd try something...
Old 08-30-2014, 07:34 PM   #20
Guru

City: North Charleston, SC
Quote:
Not even with a sawzall to get in??? ...before I tossed it...I'd try something...
"Potted" typically means the circuit board is dipped in epoxy or a plastic substance after it's tested and connected. It's somewhere between very difficult and impossible to get the coating off without damaging the circuit board or components. It's great for water and vibration proofing but it pretty much prevents repairs to the component level.

As for marina theft, we have a problem at our marina. Understand it's primarily a drystack operation but with about 50 in water slips and perhaps twenty of these on a seasonal or annual lease.

This means that most of the people using the docks are not really "boaters", but people who own boats and have them put in the water a few weekends per year. These folks don't understand that some of us have an annual lease on a slip and may keep our hoses and electrical cords on the dock. Their assumption is that anything on the dock belongs to the marina and is there for their use. I've watched people walk around looking for a hose to wash their boat, unhook it from where it is and carry i to another slip, use it and leave it there.

In their mind they are not stealing it, they are just moving the marina's hose from one slip to another. Of course in my mind they are stealing it. Since there's no way to "educate" everyone who owns a boat at this marina, My solution is to secure the hose to the dock so it cannot be moved without a square drive screwdriver. It works and some of my slip neighbors have followed my lead.

I tried marking my hoses and electrical cords but the markings faded away pretty quickly and people don't stop to read anyway.

Another annoying thing these folks do is when they come back from a day on the water some will pull into any vacant slip thinking it like the Walmart parking lot. So far this has only happened to me once and the people were still around the boat so they moved it and I was able to back into my slip. I haven't figured out a solution for this yet.

rwidman is offline   Reply With Quote