Old 08-30-2014, 08:16 PM   #21
Guru

City: Fort Pierce
Vessel Name: Florita Ann
Vessel Model: 1982 Present
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbevins View Post
But why do we have to do this just to keep what we worked for.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Trawler
Cause, sadly,we have to; world was right there would be no locks or keys, guns, wars...and so on...world is what it is...damnit

Mule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2014, 10:43 PM   #22
Guru

City: Avalon, NJ
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
The CB inside a smart cord (though possibly potted beyond repair) may be pretty simple to replicate versus the pice of a new cord....the cost of a non-smart y cord reflects the high prices of the wire and the plug ends...may be worth it and fun to hack it apart to see...

psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2014, 08:46 AM   #23
Guru

City: Windsor
Vessel Name: Keeper IV
Vessel Model: 44 Viking ACMY
Quote:
Originally Posted by psneeld View Post
The CB inside a smart cord (though possibly potted beyond repair) may be pretty simple to replicate versus the pice of a new cord....the cost of a non-smart y cord reflects the high prices of the wire and the plug ends...may be worth it and fun to hack it apart to see...
Your probably right. My original smart cord died while I was on a trip a few years ago. Since I needed power NOW I simply cut the potted box out and directly wired my own Y adapter. 4 large wire nuts and some tape and I was back in business. When I got back home all I did was put the connection in a plastic box.
The new smart Ys I believe have a relay inside that require both hot inputs of opposite legs in order to get an output of any voltage.
My eyes and meters tell me the same so I just couldn't spend the $ on a replacement. But when that deal came along..........

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Trawler

mbevins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2014, 09:47 AM   #24
Guru

Depending on circumstances, not always safe, but if it is.....I saw the marina ass while he and his obnoxious drunk guest start floating away from the dock..freshwater lake...seems his lines and electrical, water "accidentally" came loose. They were all passed out and ended up aground across the lake. Every one had a big laugh over that.
Old 08-31-2014, 10:03 AM   #25
Guru

City: North Charleston, SC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mule View Post
.....I saw the marina ass while he and his obnoxious drunk guest start floating away from the dock..freshwater lake...seems his lines and electrical, water "accidentally" came loose. They were all passed out and ended up aground across the lake. Every one had a big laugh over that.
A bunch of drunks came into the slip next to me recently. One (not the owner who later apologized) ended up lying on the dock next to the power pedestal. I happened to look out as he was trying to pull himself up using my plugged in power cord. I yelled at him to let go of my power cord and he said he wasn't touching my power cord (he was still hanging on to it). I yelled at him again and his buddy yelled back that he wasn't on my power cord (he was still hanging on it).

My wife told the guy that he was hanging on the power cord and the buddy still denied it.

By this time the guy was up staggering around and I couldn't see any good coming from continuing the confrontation so we both went back inside our boat. The cord still worked so we couldn't demand a replacement but knowing what I do about such things, his 200 lb pull on it didn't do it any good.

Should we reopen the drinking and boating discussion?
rwidman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2014, 11:49 AM   #26
Guru

.......naaah
Old 08-31-2014, 12:00 PM   #27
FF
Guru

In NYC the answer is Show Shi*.

Take the new Y and paint the ends different colors and scuff up the wire.

Wont look spiffy at the YC , but your will be the LAST one stolen.
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2014, 05:06 PM   #28
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by FF View Post
In NYC the answer is Show Shi*.

Take the new Y and paint the ends different colors and scuff up the wire.

Wont look spiffy at the YC , but your will be the LAST one stolen.
If the person stealing it won't be staying at your marina, that may not matter to him/her.
Old 09-01-2014, 06:00 AM   #29
FF
Guru

If the person stealing it won't be staying at your marina, that may not matter to him/her.

True , but he cant easily sell it , and has to worry every time he plugs in you might wander down with a gallon of Bromethaline Chloride.
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 08:30 AM   #30
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by FF View Post

True , but he cant easily sell it , and has to worry every time he plugs in you might wander down with a gallon of Bromethaline Chloride.
If either you or he is a transient, there's little chance of you crossing paths again. And he could either clean it up or paint over your paint. Most boaters aren't the sort of folks who steal boat items for resale. Most of the folks who do such things don't know the value of electrical cords and adapters. They would be stealing chart plotters and such.

My point is, marking or painting a piece of property isn't a great way to protect it. Securing it in place is much more effective.
Old 09-01-2014, 09:35 AM   #31
Guru

The marine police connection I've always seem to have tell me... much like land thieves ...stealing valuable things that don't have serial numbers on them are actually very attractive to the smarter ones.

Back in the 90's anchors were one of the top stolen marina items in both the Annapolis area and Cape May areas (just happened to live there so it could have been wider spread).

Areas with a lot of sportfisher's often have tackle stolen...often because it is so poorly secured.
Old 09-01-2014, 09:55 AM   #32
Guru

City: Montgomery, TX
Vessel Model: None, but looking
This is a marina we have been in on and off since 1999. First time we've had anything stollen. Always a first time.

Bob
BobH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 10:05 AM   #33
Guru

...locking device for y-chord is now on my do list.
Underway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 12:15 PM   #34

Vessel Model: Gulfstar 38MC
Slight tread drift;
speaking of stolen boat items, I/O lower units are a frequently stolen item.
good luck locking them in place!
bluebyu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 12:25 PM   #35
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluebyu View Post
Slight tread drift;
speaking of stolen boat items, I/O lower units are a frequently stolen item.
good luck locking them in place!

McGard Stern Drive Lock 7/16

Mcgard Stern Drive Lock 7 16” – 20 Part 74018 Mercruiser Alpha Bravo OMC Volvo | eBay
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	outdrive.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	67.1 KB
ID:	32562  
Old 09-01-2014, 01:45 PM   #36

City: Marathon
Vessel Name: silver gift
Vessel Model: 45 jefferson
Lowlifes are every where .Had my bully net stolen off my dock by a netter that came up to my dock to net lobsters. Saw someone go by my window ,go out side and the SOB jumps in his boat and takes off.Could not get to my weapon of choice quick enough. Do not leave any thing on the dock anymore.I'm lock and loaded now.
Deckape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 02:07 PM   #37
Guru

I had an unloved neighbor stealing my firewood. He did it enough to piss me off. I took a dozen sticks, drilled em, marked and filled the holes with sulfur.. Put em in the easily stolen area...heh heh. Sure did stink up the neighborhood, not to mention his house.....
Old 09-01-2014, 03:16 PM   #38
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deckape View Post
Lowlifes are every where .Had my bully net stolen off my dock by a netter that came up to my dock to net lobsters. Saw someone go by my window ,go out side and the SOB jumps in his boat and takes off.Could not get to my weapon of choice quick enough. Do not leave any thing on the dock anymore.I'm lock and loaded now.
If you shoot someone for stealing property it's going to cost you a lot more in the end than the property was worth.
Old 09-01-2014, 03:21 PM   #39
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mule View Post
I had an unloved neighbor stealing my firewood. He did it enough to piss me off. I took a dozen sticks, drilled em, marked and filled the holes with sulfur.. Put em in the easily stolen area...heh heh. Sure did stink up the neighborhood, not to mention his house.....
A long time ago I played music in a bar. There were two bands and we took turns playing. The leader of the other band kept a half gallon of vodka in the bar's kitchen for breaks. One of the other guys in my band got into the habit of drinking from this guy's bottle instead of buying his own.

One night, we got off stage and went to the kitchen. My bandmate poured his customary drink from the other guy's bottle and took a drink. He immediately spit it out and said "Piss"!

The other guy had gotten wise and filled the bottle with pee.