Old 03-01-2019, 02:16 PM   #1

City: Madisonville
Vessel Name: Aku Uka
Vessel Model: 43’ DeFever
Mic cord decay

The cord on my flybridge handheld is split and falling off the internal wires. Is there any fix for this short of buying another handset? It's a Garmin GHS10. I don't think I can just replace the cord but I'm not sure.

Thanks
Old 03-01-2019, 03:05 PM   #2
Veteran Member

City: Cruising Great Lakes
Vessel Name: Vingilot II
Vessel Model: 2004 DeFever 45 RPH
We had an Icom that did the same thing. It is uv dry rot. Icom had a real problem with this several years back and they extended the warranty on the mics. Contact Garmin and see if they will take care of it under warranty. Otherwise, you need to re[lace the mic set.

Cheers, Gary
GGroves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2019, 09:54 PM   #3
Guru

City: Inside Passage Summer/Columbia River Winter
Vessel Name: Alaskan Sea-Duction
Vessel Model: 1988 M/Y Camargue YachtFisher
Gary agree 100%
Alaskan Sea-Duction is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2019, 07:17 AM   #4
Guru

City: Bethesda, MD
Vessel Name: Solstice
Vessel Model: Grand Banks 47 Eastbay FB
Icom's not the only ones, I had a Raymarine second station cable that disintegrated and that was in the cabin BELOW, with no sun exposure at all. Just fell apart.

You either do the dance of sending it back for replacement, after begging/pleading/jumping through hoops, or give up and just order one via eBay. That's what I did for the HM-127 that failed on my flybridge (an HM-157 works fine as a replacement).
Old 03-02-2019, 01:25 PM   #5
TF Site Team

City: Seneca Lake NY
Vessel Name: Bacchus
Vessel Model: MS 34 HT Trawler
Quote:
Originally Posted by wkearney99 View Post
Icom's not the only ones, I had a Raymarine second station cable that disintegrated and that was in the cabin BELOW, with no sun exposure at all. Just fell apart.

You either do the dance of sending it back for replacement, after begging/pleading/jumping through hoops, or give up and just order one via eBay. That's what I did for the HM-127 that failed on my flybridge (an HM-157 works fine as a replacement).
Correct Raymarine and ICOM had issues. Big difference in how they were handled. ICOM stood behind their product replaced regardless of warranty status... Raymarine hid behind the warranty period declined to even provide replacements and then stopped selling replacement cords.
Bacchus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2019, 04:12 PM   #6
TG

City: Oceanside, CA
Vessel Name: Tera Grace
Vessel Model: Californian 42 LRC
Standard Horizon had the issue as well. I have a Ram Mic at the lower helm inside with very little UV exposure and it is still disintegrating.
TG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2019, 09:27 PM   #7

City: Cruising North Towards Boston
Vessel Name: Lemon Drops
Vessel Model: 2001 Grand Banks Europa 52
I have a Ray Marine unit that had the same issue. I was able to replace the cord for $25 from Ray Marine. I had to reconnect the wires in the mic itself which took less than 5 minutes.

Jim
jimL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2019, 08:50 AM   #8

City: Sassafras River, Maryland
Vessel Name: Seventh Sojourn
Vessel Model: Mainship 400
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimL View Post
I have a Ray Marine unit that had the same issue. I was able to replace the cord for $25 from Ray Marine. I had to reconnect the wires in the mic itself which took less than 5 minutes.

Jim
Jim, I was under the impression that Raymarine stopped selling replacement cords. How long ago did you buy the cord and, do you have the part number?

Thanks.

If a man is to be obsessed by something, I suppose a boat is as good as anything, perhaps a bit better than most. E.B. White
garmstro55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2019, 10:32 AM   #9
Guru

City: Nanaimo
Vessel Name: former owner of "Pilitak"
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by TG View Post
Standard Horizon had the issue as well. I have a Ram Mic at the lower helm inside with very little UV exposure and it is still disintegrating.
Ditto on my indoor Standard Horizon RAM. They don’t make or sell cords and a new RAM will not work with my 2002 radio.
Old 03-04-2019, 12:41 PM   #10
Guru

City: st pete
Vessel Model: 430 Mainship
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bacchus View Post
Correct Raymarine and ICOM had issues. Big difference in how they were handled. ICOM stood behind their product replaced regardless of warranty status... Raymarine hid behind the warranty period declined to even provide replacements and then stopped selling replacement cords.
Don,

Agreed. I've had a number of Icom handhelds that I beat the crap out of windsurfing, kayaking, etc. and their service repairing these was second to none.

My old Ray Marine unit's cord has fallen apart to the point the wires are just hanging there. In the process of replacing the unit. Ray couldn't offer me a new handset at any price.
Old 03-04-2019, 09:05 PM   #11

City: Cruising North Towards Boston
Vessel Name: Lemon Drops
Vessel Model: 2001 Grand Banks Europa 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by garmstro55 View Post
Jim, I was under the impression that Raymarine stopped selling replacement cords. How long ago did you buy the cord and, do you have the part number?

Thanks.
Gary, I don't have the receipt, but I recall going to a West Marine (in the fall of 2017) with the unit specs and they were able to locate the part. I ordered it through WM and it was delivered to my home. I hope this helps,

Jim
jimL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2019, 04:57 PM   #12
TF Site Team

City: Seneca Lake NY
Vessel Name: Bacchus
Vessel Model: MS 34 HT Trawler
Quote:
Originally Posted by garmstro55 View Post

Thanks.
The part # for my Ray 215 cord is listed on my Bacchus website Projects Curly Cord Replacement.
Mine had plug both ends and replacement was EZ after opening mic. Pics on the link.
I was under the impression that cords no longer available.
Bacchus is offline   Reply With Quote