melted diode? help id this?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Vessel Name
The Endless River
Vessel Make
97 Mainship 34
This device is burned up on my shore power circuit breaker...i think it may have something to do with the led indicators. Everything else works fine.Thanks

Attachments

• mainship wiring.jpg
    mainship wiring.jpg
    32.2 KB · Views: 112
WOW! Scary! There's not much for identifying stuff in that photo, did you trace the wires to see what they go to? where are the other ends of the burnt up wires?

It looks like waayy too much current was going through that itty bitty wire

and the power is OFF at this point, right??

Love to help...just can't tell from the pic.

It looks to me like a Metal Oxide Varistor or MOV for short.

These are used as surge supressors.

Like any surge supressor they are sacrificial in that they supress a voltage surge by allowing current to pass through them.

The thing that is confusing in the photo is that the breaker its on appears to have four connections. Generally in shore poower we have two breakers side by side. The handles are generally connected and the cases are generally connected but they are built as two separate breakers each having two wire landing points.

In this case you have what appear to be four wire landing points on this breaker unless I'm being fooled by the photo. I'm guessing here as to their use but possiible an auxillary contact for a indicator light or something like that. Its hard to tell from the photo. I've never seen a breaker with 4 lugs on it before.

Last edited:
Thanks, Ksanders. The MOV would make sense. I am in the Elevator trade and will stop by our local electronics shop tday and look into this. The material seemed to be lead

MOV would be my guess too.

Back
Top Bottom