Mastervolt 3-40 amp a/c connections.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Miss Donna

Veteran Member
Vessel Name
Miss Donna
Vessel Make
Chris craft constellation
My 80amp charger and 4-8d batteries went bad. First off how did that happen?

I have a 1986 50' Connie. I am replacing the charger with a Mastervolt 3-40 amp charger. The power cord from the panel is a 3- wire (black, white, green). flat grey covered. Obvious stuff. This new charger has its own cord and connector.. Three wires also, but round, not flat. It has 1/8" metal prong like connections to the unit.. Can I get such connectors for my old wire or should I install a junction box? If so, what connectors should I use for the wires?

I do have over 30 years of household wiring experience and enough boating experience that I know I want to get it right the first time. Any help?

>My 80amp charger and 4-8d batteries went bad. First off how did that happen?<

My guess one died and caused all to be overcharged , boiling all the water out, do the cases bulge?

Your old charger may not be shot , just doing its job?

>Three wires also, but round, not flat.<

Simplest might be to chop off the end and plug it into where the old charger was.

Hello FF, I did not notice any bulging. Charger was only putting out 11.5volts, shouldn't it be around 14volts?

Photo of the prongs? There are a billion, [not quite] terminals.

Maybe just replace the entire cable and wire the new unit to where the old unit is connected.

All wired up and running.
Thought I was finally caught up till I was awakened at 4:30 this morning by a noise up top. A front came through and tore our aft Bimini off the flybridge. Miss Donna and I went up and rescued most of the pieces. Nothing actually tore as the metal framing came apart? Never did like that aft canvas.

Charger was only putting out 11.5volts, shouldn't it be around 14volts?

Most chargers can only add about 2V to the bank , so if the dead batts were 9v or less , no big deal.

Hook it to a new batt and see if the V goes up to 14.3 or so.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom