Old 12-01-2019, 10:45 AM   #1
Veteran Member

City: NAPLES, FLORIDA
Vessel Name: BELLADONNA
Vessel Model: 34' MAINSHIP HARDTOP TRAWLER
Marine trumpet horn replacement

Current horn destroyed from salt water leaking into horn. Any suggestions on a durable horn or how to protect horn interior from water blowing into interior.
Thanks.
BellaDonna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2019, 11:29 AM   #2
Guru

City: Gig Harbor
Vessel Name: Sandpiper
Vessel Model: Bluewater 40 Pilothouse Trawler
Replace it with a Marinco or Seadog air horn. They will last a lot longer than the electric units since the compressor can be mounted out of the weather and the horns themselves have no electrical components in them.

If you want to spend more, Buell and other manufacturers sell impressive air horns.

But the Marinco/Seadog dual trumpet horns are very loud compared to their electric counterparts.
Attached Images

syjos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2019, 11:42 AM   #3
Guru

City: Edgewater, MD
Vessel Name: Catalina Jack
Vessel Model: Defever 44
We have a triple Buell powered by a CO2 tank. Loudest horn we have ever heard in five years on the water. Came with the boat.
catalinajack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2019, 12:34 PM   #4
Guru

City: Holladay, UT
Vessel Name: Dream Catcher
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 37-065
Quote:
Originally Posted by BellaDonna View Post
Current horn destroyed from salt water leaking into horn. Any suggestions on a durable horn or how to protect horn interior from water blowing into interior.
Thanks.
My FIAMM dual trumpet air horn worked great, but being mounted horizontal, collected salt spray and was badly corroded after several summers. Got a new one, mounted it tilted down to forward, and no problems for many years afterward.
"Cruising in a Big Way"
RCook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2019, 05:43 AM   #5
FF
Guru

Install the horn so it tips down a bit That way it will be self draining .
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2019, 08:40 AM   #6
Guru

City: st pete
Vessel Model: 430 Mainship
A bit unrelated,

But would be cool to have a horn that sounded like a train whistle. Seems like the only ones are the huge air horns that are just too loud.

Anyone see other options? Not too loud, only for fun.
Old 12-03-2019, 09:53 AM   #7
Veteran Member

City: NAPLES, FLORIDA
Vessel Name: BELLADONNA
Vessel Model: 34' MAINSHIP HARDTOP TRAWLER
Thanks for all the great suggestions and information. Will try to install new horn facing downward. Certainly unfortunate that there is no water seal inside the trumpet. It was corroded from salt water blowing into the horn. Evidently, there's no way to seal it.

Thanks again friends,
Donna
BellaDonna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2019, 10:52 AM   #8
Guru

City: Inside Passage Summer/Columbia River Winter
Vessel Name: Alaskan Sea-Duction
Vessel Model: 1988 M/Y Camargue YachtFisher
may I suggest the following ( I replaced mine with the 46115):

https://www.airhornsoftexas.com/coll...rain-air-horns
Alaskan Sea-Duction is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2019, 11:39 AM   #9
Guru

City: Qualicum Beach, Vancouver Island
Vessel Name: Capricorn
Vessel Model: Mariner 30 - Sedan Cruiser 1969
I was literally just about to start a horn thread as my boat has never had one and I am installing a new stationary VHF with fog horn capability. But before I address my wants, I'd like to talk about a horn that sounds like a train.

Now I am a model railroader (did any of you MRing fans see the article on Rod Stewart in a British mag on him and his layout?) and railfan so I can appreciate someone wanting a horn to sound just like a train. And when I first read that wish here, I thought what a great idea. But you know those accidents that are a one in a million, kind of like the McCormick building in Chicago burning down in three hours when it was said it couldn't burn, all steel, concrete and glass.

There is a bridge in greater Vancouver right beside the Iron Memorial Bridge (also known as Second Narrow bridge), that bridge carries trains only from a busy area to and from the North Shore, mostly coal and grain shipments to cargo ships supplying the world. And it occurred to me that if there was a foggy condition and I decided to transit with forward sonar and radar on and with a horn sounding, I could conjecture an incident where another craft coming in the opposite direction not paying attention to my horn as they would know it was just a train crossing the bridge. Traffic under the bridge isn't heavy in the foggy season, late October to mid January, but there are a lot of liberty boats taking crew back and forth to their commercial ships in that location.

My boat isn't as large as most here which translated means my horn would be lower on my express cruiser than just about all trawlers. And when I am out and about, its quite normal to have a lot of spray coming up as I am usually transiting on a beam sea and wind on Georgia Strait. So I can understand the horn getting frequently drenched and I think the horn down orientation would only prolong the inevitable rusting and corrosion. So other than the long spiffy looking horns are there other more weather proof options.
rsn48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2019, 02:23 PM   #11
TF Site Team

City: Saltspring Island
Vessel Name: Retreat
Vessel Model: C&L 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by rsn48 View Post

There is a bridge in greater Vancouver right beside the Iron Memorial Bridge (also known as Second Narrow bridge), that bridge carries trains only from a busy area to and from the North Shore, mostly coal and grain shipments to cargo ships supplying the world. And it occurred to me that if there was a foggy condition and I decided to transit with forward sonar and radar on and with a horn sounding, I could conjecture an incident where another craft coming in the opposite direction not paying attention to my horn as they would know it was just a train crossing the bridge. Traffic under the bridge isn't heavy in the foggy season, late October to mid January, but there are a lot of liberty boats taking crew back and forth to their commercial ships in that location.

My boat isn't as large as most here which translated means my horn would be lower on my express cruiser than just about all trawlers. And when I am out and about, its quite normal to have a lot of spray coming up as I am usually transiting on a beam sea and wind on Georgia Strait. So I can understand the horn getting frequently drenched and I think the horn down orientation would only prolong the inevitable rusting and corrosion. So other than the long spiffy looking horns are there other more weather proof options.

1 The trains on the 2nd Narrows CN RR Bridge don't have any level crossings nearby, so they never use their horns. No danger of yours being confused with theirs.

2 You can mount your horns inside the enclosure up top, where spray never threatens, and still be heard. After all, you will be putting out 120 + dB.
I have horns in just such a location and they are plenty loud.
Old 12-11-2019, 11:14 AM   #12
Guru

City: North Vancouver
Vessel Name: Phoenix Hunter
Vessel Model: Kadey Krogen 42 (1985)
I’m in the same situation and am looking at these as possibilities:

https://www.defender.com/product.jsp...66#description

Or...

https://www.jamestowndistributors.co...mpet+Air+Horns

The Defender version is cheaper. Also, I’m uncertain if the existing wiring is sufficient as these units draw 20 amps @ 12 VDC.

Jim
JDCAVE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2019, 12:22 PM   #13
Guru

City: Holladay, UT
Vessel Name: Dream Catcher
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 37-065
I had the FIAMM, actually this model:

https://www.defender.com/product.jsp...127&id=3042740

Great loud and fairly deep sound - two complementary frequencies. It uses a relay that the button activates. This connects the circuit with power to the little compressor. I did that circuit with #10 wire on one leg and #12 on the other (that's what I had available at the time). I think at least #12 would be needed.
"Cruising in a Big Way"
RCook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2019, 12:32 PM   #14
Guru

Marine trumpet horn replacement

I think that will have to be upgraded then. Hmmm! Might be beyond my skill level.

Further to this, I did a quick calculation using the Anchor Circuit Wizard and came up with a 10 gauge requirement. I’m pretty sure the existing horn uses less than that.

Jim
Old 12-11-2019, 02:39 PM   #15
Guru

City: Southport, FL near Panama City
Vessel Name: FROLIC
Vessel Model: Mainship 30 Pilot II since 2015. GB-42 1986-2015. Former Unlimited Tonnage Master
Is everybody aware that the COLREGs have an appendix discussing the required fundamental frequency of horns? International for vessels under 75 meters in length is 250-700 Hz while US inland it's 250 to 525 Hz?

As an aside, I think it was the USS Higbee, a destroyer, had a train steam whistle attached to her forward stack in place of her foghorn. She sounded that thing off once while alongside us at sea. Very impressive and fun.

The ineffective electrical horn (Is there even such a thing as an effective electric horn for a boat?) on this Pilot needed to be replaced, but I despaired of finding a way to pipe the air from a hidden compressor to the horn location on the cabin top in front of the helm, on the other side of the windshield. Eventually, I purchased a 17-dollar Chinese made horn with a little compressor and made an unobtrusive box painted the color of the cabin top to cover the compressor which was connected to the original horn leads. The first horn didn't last too long before its pot metal began to corrode through whatever chrome it had. So another 17 dollars and some sprayed on clear coat, and I am good - and LOUD.
rgano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2019, 06:03 PM   #16
Guru

City: Inside Passage Summer/Columbia River Winter
Vessel Name: Alaskan Sea-Duction
Vessel Model: 1988 M/Y Camargue YachtFisher
COLREGs is what?
Quote:
Originally Posted by rgano View Post
Is everybody aware that the COLREGs have an appendix discussing the required fundamental frequency of horns? International for vessels under 75 meters in length is 250-700 Hz while US inland it's 250 to 525 Hz?

As an aside, I think it was the USS Higbee, a destroyer, had a train steam whistle attached to her forward stack in place of her foghorn. She sounded that thing off once while alongside us at sea. Very impressive and fun.

The ineffective electrical horn (Is there even such a thing as an effective electric horn for a boat?) on this Pilot needed to be replaced, but I despaired of finding a way to pipe the air from a hidden compressor to the horn location on the cabin top in front of the helm, on the other side of the windshield. Eventually, I purchased a 17-dollar Chinese made horn with a little compressor and made an unobtrusive box painted the color of the cabin top to cover the compressor which was connected to the original horn leads. The first horn didn't last too long before its pot metal began to corrode through whatever chrome it had. So another 17 dollars and some sprayed on clear coat, and I am good - and LOUD.
Alaskan Sea-Duction is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2019, 06:19 PM   #17
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alaskan Sea-Duction View Post
COLREGs is what?

International Regulations for Preventing Collisions at Sea 1972 (COLREGs), published by the International Maritime Organization (IMO). Member Countries may have some modifications.
Old 12-11-2019, 07:15 PM   #18
Technical Guru

City: Wilmington, NC
Vessel Name: Louisa
Vessel Model: Custom Built 38
I use a tractor trailer air horn. Tipped down about 10deg so it might drain. Inexpensive and has to tolerate salt on northern winter roadways, similar to a boat. It has been rock solid reliable for over 10yrs on the boat. Fed by a domestic pancake compressor in engine room.

One nice feature is the air valve can be "throttled" so you can have a light honk or a loud honk depending on the situation.
Ski in NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2019, 07:33 PM   #19
Guru

City: Southport, FL near Panama City
Vessel Name: FROLIC
Vessel Model: Mainship 30 Pilot II since 2015. GB-42 1986-2015. Former Unlimited Tonnage Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDCAVE View Post
International Regulations for Preventing Collisions at Sea 1972 (COLREGs), published by the International Maritime Organization (IMO). Member Countries may have some modifications.
And if your boat is over 40 feet long, guess what? You are required to have a copy aboard.
rgano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2019, 07:54 PM   #20
Guru

City: Gig Harbor
Vessel Name: Sandpiper
Vessel Model: Bluewater 40 Pilothouse Trawler
You might want to look at Marinco and Sea Dog air horns.

Similar in price and quality to AFI.

My last Marinco Dual Trumpet Air Horns was still working like it was new at 18 years.

Replaced it because the chrome was not shiny any more and detracted from the new pilothouse roof.
syjos is offline   Reply With Quote