Old 06-23-2014, 05:08 PM   #1
Guru

Marine Trader nav light lens (AAA)?

A friend of mine is looking to replace the colored position light lenses on his early 80's vintage Marine Trader. The housings are stamped "AAA". Anyone have a source? He did a google and didn't get much. I did an archives search and didn't get anything. Thanks.
Underway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 06:39 PM   #2
Guru

City: Sarasota/Ft. Lauderdale
Pictures please.
Capt.Bill11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 07:13 PM   #3
Guru

City: North Charleston, SC
Your friend could take an old lens to West Marine or another large marine store and see if he can match it to a current model.

At some point it might be easier to just replace the fixtures than to find replacement lenses. This would be a great time to convert to LED navigation lights which typically use just ten percent of the power used by incandescent lamps.
rwidman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 07:21 PM   #4
Guru

Don't have a photo but the AAA numbers on the fixtures are 00112, 00122, and 00132. AAA is on line (and lists photos of the fixtures), but the only links are in Singapore or Taiwan. Hoping a Marine Trader owner could point us to a U.S. or Canadian distributer.
Underway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2014, 08:44 AM   #5
Guru

City: Trenton
I don't know if this is going to be of any help. Most of the hardware on elderly Marine Traders was made on site by each constructing family. Almost nothing found in an American marine store is going to fit. Each piece of hardware is unique. When my huge and heavy bronze lights needed new lenses I eventually gave up and bought new fixtures from the local marine store. Now the bulbs fit, I can get replacement parts and they actually conform to the navrules. They are so cheap looking they make the boat look new.
alormaria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 07:21 AM   #6
Guru

City: Annapolis
Vessel Name: Ranger
Vessel Model: 58' Sedan Bridge
Quote:
Originally Posted by rwidman View Post

At some point it might be easier to just replace the fixtures than to find replacement lenses. This would be a great time to convert to LED navigation lights which typically use just ten percent of the power used by incandescent lamps.

We recently replaced our steaming/anchor light with a new LED version. It's about a gazillion times brighter than the original incandescent unit. (In pics taken from our docks at dusk, the new anchor light was approximately as bright as a street light in the background.)

And my first focus has simply been to dramatically reduce the anchor light's power consumption at anchor.

A dock neighbor replaced her red/green nav lights, ditto, about a gazillion times brighter.

-Chris
Old 07-07-2014, 07:39 AM   #7
Guru

City: Tuckerton, NJ
Vessel Name: WIRELESS ONE
Vessel Model: 36 Gulstar MarkII
I just got done changing the navigation lights on my older Gulfstar with LED's. I'd highly suggest doing that instead of trying to track down the original fixtures. The reasons? LED's draw far less current, they are bright as all get out, they will probably outlive most owners and they may vary well outlive the vessel.
Bill
Billylll is offline   Reply With Quote