Old 12-08-2013, 11:06 PM   #21
Guru

City: Gloucester, MA
Quote:
Originally Posted by millennium View Post
From what I've seen the Maretron fuel flow components do not need the calibration that Floscan requires.
But there is still some minimal configuration required, right? I guess what I'm saying is that I don't think you can get away without some other Maretron product to do the initial setup. If you have some other way to display the data once set up then you could borrow the stuff to do the setup and then remove it. But I think you have to have it initially to get going.

Old 04-05-2014, 11:50 AM   #22
Veteran Member

City: Seward, AK
Vessel Model: Custom 45' Steel Trawler
I'm pretty sure that you can use the free software, N2KAnalyzer. I'll let you know in a week as that is my plan to install ffm100 and I don't have a Maretron display. I am using a N2K bus and furuno MFD. I used the software in the past to configure a Maretron SSC device without issue. Good luck.

AKFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014, 02:39 PM   #23
Guru

City: Southern Maine
Vessel Name: Cygnus
Vessel Model: Prairie 36 Coastal Cruiser
Quote:
Originally Posted by AKFish View Post
I'm pretty sure that you can use the free software, N2KAnalyzer. I'll let you know in a week as that is my plan to install ffm100 and I don't have a Maretron display. I am using a N2K bus and furuno MFD. I used the software in the past to configure a Maretron SSC device without issue. Good luck.
Thanks! Looking forward to hearing how the install went for you. This is getting close to the top of my "to buy" list.
CaptTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 06:46 AM   #24
FF
Guru

>From what I've seen the Maretron fuel flow components do not need the calibration that Floscan requires.<

Perhaps ,,but the flowscan calibration is a snap to do , a couple of fillups .

Always fun to see how well the predicted fill gal match the actual .

For folks with a day tank with a sight glass (or dip stick in smooth water) a log will do almost as well, at no cost.
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 11:01 AM   #25
Guru

City: Carefree, Arizona
Vessel Name: sunchaser V
Vessel Model: DeFever 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by FF View Post
For folks with a day tank with a sight glass (or dip stick in smooth water) a log will do almost as well, at no cost.
Ahh, to own a Nordhavn. My DeFever tanks are all calibrated with sight tubes but it takes a few hours of operating to get +/- 5%.

BTW, today's new engines have very accurate fuel flow algorithms/devices as part of the on engine controls. These readouts can be added to a Maretron display or read directly off the instrument cluster.
sunchaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 07:02 AM   #26

City: Tasmania
Vessel Name: Viking
Vessel Model: Nova 48 Cockpit Motor Yacht
I purchased my first larger boat (89 48ft Nova) in June last year. I had completed many hours of research on forums about how much fuel a cruiser of this size would use prior to buying. Definitive answers are not really available as there are simply too many variables. The very first expenditure after settlement day was on the Maretron fuel flow monitor system. With twin 3208AT 375HP CAT's and 20 tonnes of boat I thought the system would be the best investment for us over the life of the boat. People can tell you how many nautical miles they have done this season and how much fuel they used but without a fuel flow monitor you cannot tell how much you are using in real time. By having this knowledge in real time you can save a LOT of money.
I purchased 2 x FFM100's, 4 x M1RSP-2R-E8 fuel flow sensors, 1 x GPS200, 1 x DSM150, and a NMEA2000 starter kit plus a few extra cables. You must have the DSM150, DSM250 or the Nk2 Software and the PC connection to configure the devices. You must have an NMEA2000 GPS to give you the Nautical Miles per litre or gallon readings. Otherwise you can only have litres or gallons per hour.
I installed myself - if you have never done any of this kind of thing before, you do have to read the documentation (and again, and again.....) relating to what you want to do and then fill in the blanks yourself.
You can display a range of things on the screens. I have attached a couple of examples. You will note from the 2 images that depending on something as simple as a 12 knot wind or current it can affect the speed but you can still maintain a desired fuel burn. Without this kind of system you will think that your best fuel burn is at xknots and sit on that everywhere you go. What I have found is that on any given day my fuel burn at a desired speed can vary by as much as 100%!
We now drive the boat only by the fuel flow monitors and our desired fuel burn - this is a combined 2ltrs per nautical mile. Some days we are doing 12knts in a tidal current and tail wind - other days it can be as low as 6knts.
The only modification I had to make to the equipment out of the box was lengthen the cables for the flow sensors. the FFM100's should not be mounted in the engine room as they should not be in temperatures of greater than 50 deg Celsius. They only come with 1mtr tails on them out of the box.
I would highly recommend purchasing the system - you can add to it over time and take it with you to the next boat (unless you can afford a new boat which will most likely have them!)
Sorry but I do not have experience in outputting the data to an MFD - I have a Raymarine C120 Classic which does not have NMEA2000 connectivity. (apparently possible via Seatalk 2 but I have not found anyone with specific instructions - if anyone knows I am happy to hear from you )
I hope this is helpful for you.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Pic1.jpg
Views:	120
Size:	89.8 KB
ID:	28932   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pic2.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	103.7 KB
ID:	28933  
BeagleBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 08:41 AM   #27
Guru

Thanks for sharing!

I've already got a Garmin 740s MFD that uses NMEA 2000, and I'm working on putting in a NMEA backbone to connect several other sensors.

From your write-up, it appears all I need to add fuel data are:
• 2 x FFM100's,
• 4 x M1RSP-2R-E8 fuel flow sensors

I'd prefer to configure it using software and a laptop. Is the software included with the FFM100s, or do I have to buy it?
Old 04-08-2014, 01:36 PM   #28
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptTom View Post
I'd prefer to configure it using software and a laptop. Is the software included with the FFM100s, or do I have to buy it?
As correctly mentioned, you need the USB to N2K gateway device. I have a Maretron one and it will definitely talk with Maretron equipment. I don't know if the Actisense gateway will work with the free N2KAnalyzer software.
Old 04-08-2014, 02:50 PM   #29
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKFish View Post
As correctly mentioned, you need the USB to N2K gateway device. I have a Maretron one and it will definitely talk with Maretron equipment. I don't know if the Actisense gateway will work with the free N2KAnalyzer software.
Thanks, looks like I should invest in the Maretron USB100 gateway.

Then again, the NoLand RS11 unit I bought comes with a USB connection, too. I wonder if that will allow me to see "through" it to the N2K bus and the Maretron unit.
Old 04-08-2014, 04:28 PM   #30
Guru

Quote:
Then again, the NoLand RS11 unit I bought comes with a USB connection, too. I wonder if that will allow me to see "through" it to the N2K bus and the Maretron unit.

It's easy enough to try. Just download the N2KAnalyze software and give it a try.
Old 04-08-2014, 09:08 PM   #31
Dauntless Award

City: New York, NY
Vessel Name: Dauntless
Vessel Model: Kadey Krogen 42 - 148
Quote:
Thanks, looks like I should invest in the Maretron USB100 gateway.

From reading their book, I think you want the IPG100 vice the USB100.
The former will give you the same computer connectivity, plus ethernet connectivity,

"with the IPG100 you can use any device running N2K view software to monitor and control your vessel from onboard or ashore"

Also, I just bought 64' of micro bulk cable from Defender for $1.00/ft.

Please let me know if I misunderstood the above, as I will be setting up a system also in the next three months.
Find us: https://share.delorme.com/dauntless
Wxx3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 09:58 PM   #32
Guru

I'm pretty sure that N2KAnalyze, which is the software you need to do configuration of devices, workes with the IPG100, but it's probably worth a call or note to Maretron to confirm. I've always run N2KAnalyze with the USB100, so I can only confirm that combination first-hand.
Old 04-08-2014, 10:09 PM   #33
Guru

City: Victoria TX
Vessel Name: Bijou
Vessel Model: 2008 Island Packet steadysailer
Quote:
Originally Posted by kulas44 View Post
My trawler has two 25 gallon "day" tanks that are filled by walbro pumps from the main or bulk tanks. When the tank gets low the switch turns on the pump, at about 10 gallons. I have a cycle counter that counts every time the pump comes on. Gallons per hour are easy to figure, and right on the money. MPG is what I look at mostly. So if I go 100 miles and the pump cycles 10 times I got 1 MPG. Also easy to figure, and ultimately reliable. I usually get better milage than that but you get the idea. I can also turn the pump on and circulate fuel endlessly, the overflow goes back to the bulk tanks. Or I can turn on the gear rotor pump and circulate any tank thru the bulk filter system. Or feed the engines from any tank (of 6) onboard. Both engines have there own fuel supply. The old saw that "a fuel problem will get both engines" does not apply. But I'm kinda paranoid about this stuff. Then again, you dont even want to know what I run for fuel. Detroits will burn anything if its clean.
That's a nice, simple sounding fuel monitoring system IMO. How does the cycle counter work exactly?

And what are you running as fuel? I do want to know. :-)
cardude01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 03:29 PM   #34
Veteran Member

I do know that the N2K View is not free. Also, the USB device is specific to Maretron PGN proprietary fields. I haven't heard of using the IPG with the Analyzer software. But if you could, it might be a better interface for ability to move to View later, since the USB device is somewhat limited to Maretron stuff and does not give full access to all N2K PGNs. Just a thought.

I also looked at the installation doc for the flow sender unit. Item 10 says to "use DSM display, N2KAnalyzer or other Maretron display product capable of configuring the FFM100 to configure the connected channel. Be sure to program the FFM100 with the K-factor printed on the fuel flow sensor."

I do not think that I can set any parameters on the FFM with my Furuno MFD. It only picks off pgns from the bus to display.
Old 04-09-2014, 03:59 PM   #35
Guru

Analyze and View are two very different programs. I don't think you can do any configuration of devices with View.
Old 04-15-2014, 02:40 AM   #36
Veteran Member

It looks like the installation was a success. I programmed the FFM100 using the free N2KAnalyzer and the USB100 interface. I put in the k values and watched the data start pouring in. Not a surprise, but it showed up on my PC and the MFD just fine. I also used the DSM250 software to display flow and some calculated economy values.

I used to have flowscan on boats in the past. There is no further calibration for this other than initial setup. It will be nice to have this data again.
Old 04-15-2014, 03:59 AM   #37
Guru

City: sydney
Vessel Name: Aquabelle
Vessel Model: Ocean Alexander Flushdeck
Your two engines are identical and you will be running them at the same RPM. Why not just put the Maretron monitors on one engine and accept it will be accurate for both engines? Cut the cost in half....
Aquabelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 06:33 AM   #38
FF
Guru

There is no further calibration for this other than initial setup.

How dies it refine , make accurate, the unit from the initial guesstimates as it learns your actual fuel burn?
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 05:08 PM   #39
Veteran Member

It looks like its a positive displacement meter. Its like a gear pump. There is also internal temp, and that is the k factor. Somehow, with the temp known the proper volume can be measured for each revolution. That's how I understand it. Much better than the other methods I have used before.
Old 04-15-2014, 08:27 PM   #40
Veteran Member

City: St Augustine
Vessel Model: Mainship390
That's right no calibration with the Maretron components, just entering each flow transducer's K adjustment factor. Much easier then Floscan.

I just finished the install on my twin engine boat. Works great. Two FFMs and four flow transducers. Two of the small Maretron displays. Also GPS to figure MPG.

millennium is offline   Reply With Quote