Majic Jack , failure

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

FF

Guru
I installed the MJ and it was a failure.

Voice at the recievers end was so chopped it was un readable.

We use a Hughes sat with the least bandwidth, and my computer is fairly slow , its 6 years old.

Switched to my brides newer (computer 3 years old), still a failure.

Is the Hughes just too slow ? or do we need a new faster computer.

If its the computer processer , we have been thinking of a Sony play box , really fast , and since it must be on all thge time , all a hacker would get is an old Pong Game?

People I know have magic jack for an extra phone line.* They have a new up to date computer.* They do web design and stuff so it is pretty decent.** The magic jack is usable but the voice quality is not there. They are probably going to do away with it.

JohnP

FF, it is likely a bandwidth issue. I don't think it would take much computer power. I know that Hughs stuff can be SLOW!!!

I think it is*a bandwidth issue.* I'm not sure about Majic Jack but we use Skype a lot and*the call quality is usually bandwidth based.* We also find that Skpe to cell phones are the worst, then Skpe to landlines and Skpe to Skpe is almost always acceptable.*

You can check you connection speed by using:* http://www.speakeasy.net/speedtest/

FF wrote:

I installed the MJ and it was a failure.

Voice at the recievers end was so chopped it was un readable.

We use a Hughes sat with the least bandwidth, and my computer is fairly slow , its 6 years old.

Switched to my brides newer (computer 3 years old), still a failure.

Is the Hughes just too slow ? or do we need a new faster computer.

If its the computer processer , we have been thinking of a Sony play box , really fast , and since it must be on all thge time , all a hacker would get is an old Pong Game?
Sattelite communications has a built in delay because of the length of time it takes for the signal to reach the sattelite and return to earth.* As I recall, it's measured in seconds.* While this isn't a big issue in sending or receiving data, voice, where you listen and then respond is just not going to work well.* You could call your provider and talk to them about it for confirmation.

Magic Jack needs are fairly low latency internet connection. Also one with little jitter. Due to the laws of physics (the round trip to the satellite and the satellite wobble) it is almost impossible to use Hughes Net for any reliable VOIP application. Magic Jack is only one of many VOIP applications, SKYPE would be another example.
VOIP=Voice over Internet Protocol.
Bill

Wait til you try to uninstall Magic Jack. *There are files it installs that are embedded so deep in your system that it takes a Magic Jack Hammer to get them out.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom