Mainship AutoPilot Hydraulic Pump Location

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Peachy

We have a 2005 Mainship Pilot II and are in the market to install an Auto Pilot. Any recommendations as to where to locate the hydraulic pump?

There is no space behind the console below the helm pump.

Installing it next to the steering ram in the back (as manufacturer suggests) means a short hydraulic line run, but the pump will be located in a damp area with difficult access.

Installing it under the Captains chair in the storage area is a good option, but I would need to install three (3) hydraulic hoses back to the helm and I'm still dealing with a "exposed" area.

I found some other spots in the engine room, but access is difficult, just wondering if there is a "standard" placement in Mainship Pilots.

Any advise would be appreciated, pictures of your existing rigs would mean thousands of words to me... Thanks! Peach!

Peachy,

On my 2000 Mainship Pilot 30 Raymarine EV-200 Autopilot install a few years back, I was able to fit the, Hydraulic Reversing Pump, Sensor Core and Actuator Control Unit under the helm station. It was tight but it worked.

I tee'd the reversing pump into the hydraulic system right at the helm. My second choice for the pump was aft next to the steering ram - which is probably where most folks would install the pump due to a short hydraulic hose run. Yes it is a damp location but it is accessible and you can monitor and maintain the pump easily. Make a point to keep a dry bilge and also WD-40 is your friend.

Good luck with the install.

If memory serves me correctly, I'm almost sure the last time I installed a system on a Mainship Pilot, I mounted the pump behind (in front of) the helm console. If you install the pilot pump in the area of the steering ram ,it wont be a short run because you'll still need to run a return line all the way back up to the helm, which will probably be a pain to bleed. My recommendation would be find a place nearer the helm. I would also opt for the rudder feedback transducer. It'll add time to your installation but the enhanced performance of the pilot will be worth it

Yes. Shawn is right. The return line would be need to be run to the helm if the pump is located aft.

Also, I remember it being very easy to bleed the system with a helm pump location. There was very little loss of hydraulic fluid during the installation.

Cheers

Back
Top Bottom