Low voltahe air cond?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

FF

Guru
This info was lifted from an RV site , but low voltage and low amps is a common problem.

I have no idea if this works , but found the info interesting.

And perhaps useful for some.

I have a Forest River 19RR with a 13.5 AC unit. I want to be able to run the AC on one Honda EU2000i generator in ECO mode.

Currently, when the temperature is above 85 degrees, it takes two EU2000 generators running with ECO Mode off to get them running. Once running I can switch to ECO mode but when the compressor cycles, it trips the low voltage shut off on my Progressive Industries EMS.

https://progressiveindustries.myshop.../ems-hw30c-pid

IMG_2364-vi.jpg

Running with two generators and ECO off is noisy and uses more fuel. Got to be a better way...

First thing I did was install a aftermarket start capacitor.

IMG_2367-vi.jpg

I did this installation when the temperature was 60 degrees and it would start the AC on one generator, but not in ECO mode. I could run the AC in ECO mode with both generators. But once the temperature got above 85 degrees, see above!

Research led me to a small company in Allentown NJ (Not PA). They make a device that looks at a few different parameters of your electricity draw and adjusts with some kind of magic and supposedly you can run an AC unit like I have on one 2000 watt generator.

https://www.microair.net/collections...-soft-starters

I happen to be going down to Cape May NJ this past weekend and would be going right through Allentown NJ. I called them and asked if I could stop by and pick up the device I needed. I mentioned I'm a member of the Forest River Forum and they offered me a $40 discount!
The "factory" is a very small building in a beautiful farming area of NJ. A very nice lady took care of me and I was on my way.

Once home I took the cover off the AC. Removed the start capacitor and installed the Easy Start. Took all of 20 minutes! Four wires and you are done!

IMG_2361-vi.jpg

I mounted the Easy Start to the front of the AC unit , under the cover.

IMG_2365-vi.jpg

Buttoned it all up, and ran a test after starting the AC five times on shore power as the instructions tell you. You need the Easy Start and the AC unit to understand each other before you go to generator power

IMG_2360-vi.jpg

Temperature was 86 degrees during the tests. The generator was in ECO mode throughout the test.

IMG_2362-vi.jpg

I let it run for over two hours to be sure the AC could cycle while the generator was in ECO mode.

AMAZING! It works! Nice , quiet, one generator in ECO mode and a nice cool trailer.

Now I ask, why don't they install these units in the AC from the factory. For under $300, you are saving your ears, your neighbors ears and your second generator!

Highly Recommended!
user_online.gif

It is indeed interesting but I still have to understand how it works. For the surge at startup I can understand but to reduce power draw I don't. If anybody can explain it would be interesting too.

L.

It is about starting or cycling the AC with the small generator in ECO mode, which throttle the generator down to a purr when there is no load.

This thing won't lower the power needed, it just slows down the inrush?

A normal capacitor draws too heavy, too quickly, for the ECO feature to catch up, throttling the generator up fast enough before the current inrush, further raised by the voltage being dragged down under this low idle condition, trips the various protection devices and alarms.

It appears this Easy Start device slows the load on the generator sufficiently to allow the ECO throttle time to come to full power, and get the AC running on the then available 2000 watts?

Sounds like a worthy modification for those with the little, fuel efficient and QUIET Honda/Yamaha gas generators

RB

"Sounds like a worthy modification for those with the little, fuel efficient and QUIET Honda/Yamaha gas generators"

Or in a big marina with summer peak loads lowering the dock voltage?

"They make a device that looks at a few different parameters of your electricity draw and adjusts with some kind of magic"

No magic, they are just controlling the startup of the compressor. Contactors and relays just apply the line voltage without regard to current draw thus the high inrush current. You can limit inrush current with scr's and triac's so the compressor starts up without pulling a huge slug of current.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom