Loud Hailer

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Vessel Name
JAZ
Vessel Make
Ta Chaio/CT35
Standard Horizon 30 Watt Loud Hailer

Is anybody using a hailer? I need a horn an would like a hailer with intercom. This unit has programmed fog horn and wodering how loud they were. I could kill three birds with one stone with this unit.

I have an old raymarine hailer with all the fog/anchor signals as well a voice and intercom to other stations. I love it and hope it works forever.

All the assistance towboats I run also have them.

Loudness is relative but with a large horn speaker the fog signals are just a tad quieter than a good electric horn...maybe as good or better than most.

Convenient as heck for auto signals...if you go crazy...you can install a horn facing forward and aft as many have the ability for fore/aft speakers.

I have an old raymarine hailer with all the fog/anchor signals as well a voice and intercom to other stations. I love it and hope it works forever.

All the assistance towboats I run also have them.

Loudness is relative but with a large horn speaker the fog signals are just a tad quieter than a good electric horn...maybe as good or better than most.

Convenient as heck for auto signals...if you go crazy...you can install a horn facing forward and aft as many have the ability for fore/aft speakers.

This unit allows for two stations. How about the intercom function?

No, just loud air horns. Occasionally, however, think of acquiring a hand-held loudspeaker so voice can be directed toward the intended listener. Nevertheless, haven't had the need, yet.

Last edited:
Thought that was what the canon was for???

ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1405900611.576329.jpg

Last edited:
This unit allows for two stations. How about the intercom function?

I'm not using the intercom station but may look into it...the unit can power a fwd and aft hailer horn like the ones on the towboats...pretty common.

Not sure what you are asking????

We upgraded the electronics on our boat and I installed a new vhf ratio with a loud hailer feature, and a loud speaker mounted under the searchlight on the front point of the flybridge cowling. I don't think I've ever used it for any serious purpose.

I have a Standard Horizon though I am not sure which model. It has several functions but I have only used it as an intercom when the admiral is on the foredeck for something like fetching pots. She can hear me well from the speaker atop the pilot house and I can hear her if she is careful to direct her voice toward the mic pickup also up top. Pretty convenient.

The absolute most useful item is the auto fog horn...use it a lot on the assistance towboat and several times a trip on my NJ to Fl cruise each winter.

An auto fog horn is handy, indeed.

Here, between searchlight control and autopilot:

img_251291_0_77ea7782460a514c0920ab4a069ef1b7.jpg

Some radios carry many functions, but using one function can inhibit or limit the use of other functions. Some radios cannot be used for 2-way communication when they are being used as a fog horn or PA.

I have an Icom VHF radio like that mounted at the FB with a remote CommandMic extended to the lower helm. I can use it as a PA while I use my lower helm-mounted Standard Horizon VHF as a 2-way radio. A separate FogMate control box allows my ship's horn to be used as a fog horn with regular horn blasts at 2-minute intervals. This way, all 3 functions can be used simultaneously.

The best intercom is a small FRS radio. The mounted thing is never where you need it.

We had a Standard Horizon Quantum vhf on our last boat. It had multiple hailer functions built into it including a receive feature. We sold that with the last boat. I wish I still had one, but it is down a ways on the priority list with the new boat. At the price of the hailer shown, I would at least consider the Quantum approach.

The absolute most useful item is the auto fog horn...use it a lot on the assistance towboat and several times a trip on my NJ to Fl cruise each winter.
That was a big reason I bought the model iCom 506. The auto fog horn, hailer & speaker are great! Also, when hooked up to an iCom195B CommandMic, everything works!

Attachments

• Command Mic Hybrid.jpg
    Command Mic Hybrid.jpg
    114 KB · Views: 48
One thing I learned about multi function radios - make sure you actually have the hailer on when you start using the mic. The USCG gets a might touchy when you start conversing with your crew over channel 16! ;-)

My Fogmate runs my air horn as an auto fog horn, far more noise than an electric hailer run by a radio while offering the advantage of pulling an important function from a multi-function piece of equipment, the radio..

We have a hailer/horn function built into one of the radios (Standard GX2150) on the bridge. It's plenty loud with a medium-sized 5 x 7 speaker/horn mounted on the front of the bridge but honestly, I can't remember ever using it for navigation purposes. I absolutely see the convenience of having it as a commercial user but all I have used it for is to scare the bejeepers out of my wife while she's lounging on the flybridge brow. That kind of personal entertainment doesn't go over so well with her...:angel:

Attachments

• IMG_4156 (2).JPG
    IMG_4156 (2).JPG
    132.1 KB · Views: 34
Last edited:
I remember reading the USCG has published that after accidents, some of the electronic horns have not met the Colreg specs.

Couldn't find the link.... but will keep onthe lookout for it.

Like nav lights, just out of the box isn't necessarily good enough.

Last edited:
I use the auto fog horn often. I have no clue whether it meets regulations or not. It might at full volume, but that's too loud for me at the helm, so I'm probably at half volume at best.

The Standard Horizon GX2200 has a built-in PA/fog signal, but it is menu driven 3 or 4 layers deep. No comparison to the simplicity of a stand alone PA. If you have the room, go stand alone.
Love the Kahlenberg solution!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom