Loud hailed

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Gordon J

Guru
Vessel Name
Didi Mau
Vessel Make
Currently looking for next boat
All,

My Shakespeare loud hailed does not work with my vhf radio. I would like to troubleshoot the install, but have no manual. Does anyone have the install instructions they could forward?

The two wires coming out of my radio are wag 16, which seems pretty small. I would have though something bigger would be required.

Thanks in advance,
Gordon

We have 2-HS-40 PA/Hailer Horn Speaker and the wires are pretty small. They either work or they don't if the wires are hooked up correctly.

What radio do you have?

I have an icom 504. It was previously hooked up to my standard horizon, but also did not work. The boat is new to me and perhaps the loud hailer does not work. The wires are so small I assumed a separate power source to amplify the signal. I'll do more trouble shooting.

Gordon

Loud hailers used in a marina are a huge PIA.

The simplest technique is to install a large truck hailer unit.

These will play 25 of your favorite tunes with cow bells , car horns and a dozen other "instruments."

Only a minuet or two will usually be enough of a hint at folks (or their spawn) to get the idea .conversing with their loud hailer across the marina sucks.

One good use for a hailer is to wake sleeping bridge tenders ,

they can sleep thru an air horn or VHF call but Yankee Doodle with cow bells does the trick.

Last edited:
I checked the back of our 2 Icoms and the wires are small. We're not talking home theater quality sound though. I'd be more suspect of the settings on the VHF or the speaker.

LarryM,

Thanks. I will take another look. Perhaps it is the horn itself.

Gordon

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom