Little Relay Project

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tom.B

Moderator Emeritus
Vessel Name
Skinny Dippin'
Vessel Make
Navigator 4200 Classic
Here is a little project I ended up doing after my beloved Dr. Perky failed to start a few weeks ago Probably the first time anything failed at the dock in all human history. I discovered that the starter relay (and the stop one too) had worked themselves loose having been hung from the relay and not the socket. Note that one had no socket at all. :banghead:

Organizing this mess has been on my "to do" list for a couple of years since I learned of the poor wiring job from previous owners during my starter fiasco. :blush: Three relays and a spare. One for the starter key, one for the stop button, and one for the preheater button all wired to a terminal strip. No project I do would be complete without mounting it to a slab of King Starboard. :thumb:

Ok... fishing for a compliment. Is that SO WRONG??!!? :rofl::lol:

Here is the old... Two relays at the top center. The third is draping down over the starter. I am 100% sure this would have left us stranded very soon.

Here is the new (as yet unmounted or installed... that happens tomorrow)

Last edited:
Most excellent! Very tidy and professional looking job.

Nothing like wiring you can trace out without having to touch and tug on. Well done Tom.

"Nothing like wiring you can trace out without having to touch and tug on."

Sure there is , wiring that is labeled to make trouble shooting a snap.

When we were boat building Marinetcs panels (inspected vessels) were chosen.

With 5 DC panels #1 was the important stuff down to # 5 reading lamps etc.

Panel 1 wiring all began with wire number 1 and then followed with the next 5 wires , 11, 12,13,14 and so on.

Each DC user ,or item had the same number as its supply wire and therefore panel, on the item..

So if a fan labeled 35 failed , the CB on panel 3 ,5th CB down was cycled.Or wire 35 was examined for juice.

The local electrical supply has a great pad of stick on numbers ($10. or so) that is used bt the burgelar alarm folks that works great.

For all wiring place the numbers near the ends of the wiring , and again about a foot away, for future use , Stuff Happens, over the years. Pages of 1s 2s 3s , so you create the number desired .

For DC load control all the panels could be switched off , and only the items required on #1 operated.

Last edited:
Final results

Attachments

• image-161746792.jpg
    image-161746792.jpg
    60.5 KB · Views: 219
  • image-3618164567.jpg
    image-3618164567.jpg
    53.2 KB · Views: 237
For labels on the wires themselves I often use a piece of clear heat shrink tubing to cover the label so when the adhesive loosens years later or less, the label stays put and in good shape .

Here is a little project I ended up doing after my beloved Dr. Perky failed to start a few weeks ago Probably the first time anything failed at the dock in all human history. I discovered that the starter relay (and the stop one too) had worked themselves loose having been hung from the relay and not the socket. Note that one had no socket at all. :banghead:

Organizing this mess has been on my "to do" list for a couple of years since I learned of the poor wiring job from previous owners during my starter fiasco. :blush: Three relays and a spare. One for the starter key, one for the stop button, and one for the preheater button all wired to a terminal strip. No project I do would be complete without mounting it to a slab of King Starboard. :thumb:

Ok... fishing for a compliment. Is that SO WRONG??!!? :rofl::lol:

Here is the old... Two relays at the top center. The third is draping down over the starter. I am 100% sure this would have left us stranded very soon.

Here is the new (as yet unmounted or installed... that happens tomorrow)

Thanks for the inspiration and detail, I thought I was alone on my "new to me" 6354. I couldnt figure out what the third relay was for because I dont have a fuel cutoff solenoid, mine is a manual kill with pull cable. Its strange to me that the relay is in place and wired for a part that never existed.

I buy relays with a bale to keep them captive, and locking tab. The tab can lock the relay intergized, for troubleshooting and if the coil voltage fails.

You have to hunt these down. I also use mini relays to keep space down.

Relay/Fuse Holder

I just got this relay holder for my project. It is under $20 and is NOT waterproof as advertised but if water gets over the wire harness, im calling insurance anyways. I cant buy individual relayes for $20, Im going down tomorrow to finish it up and then will post a few pictures.

Be careful with the glow plug or preheat relay/connectors. Even my little 3cyl motors work push on flag terminals to their limit. Have you measured preheat current?

Be careful with the glow plug or preheat relay/connectors. Even my little 3cyl motors work push on flag terminals to their limit. Have you measured preheat current?

The perkins 6.354's don't have glow plugs, they use a diesel fueled starting aid to preheat the intake. I don't know how much power the ignitor draws. For some reason I don't understand, the 6.354's start very well in cold weather without any starting aid and most were not even equiped with them. I have a button on my dash for one, but there is no sign of one ever being present on the engine.

Back
Top Bottom