Lithium costs: comparison and sanity check?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Chris,

You have some really good advice above. I have read the CruiserForum thread a few months ago and my take is that unless cost is no object it will NEVER be cost effective in the next 10 years.

Why, because it also entails changing so much of your electrical system.

Yep, have come to agree. Didn't take long, either. :) That long thread on CF hurt my head!

Which leads me to another issue, as I reread your OP, I did not realize you were wanting to keep two different battery systems on board. That solution would significantly increase your cost and as others have mentioned, brings far more risks than benefits.

Well, it wouldn't have been that I wanted to have two systems; just that only one of the two banks is coming up toward replace time...

Last year, I like you, wanted, needed, to decrease battery charging time to make it nicer to anchor more often and longer. Thus my reading of the CF thread.

My initial solution was to add a second alternator, though at the same time, I changed my fridge/freezer from one that used 18 amps per hour to one that used 5 amps. I also added 440 watts of solar power.

Lo and behold, all of a sudden I didn't need the second alternator. 24 hours on the hook meant -150 amp-hrs; not -450 as needed previously, thus my gen time became two hours, not 8:eek:

Sounds like good changes. We already have efficient fridges (came with the boat), but don't really have room for much solar. Not yet ready to think about taking that one yet... although maybe in future it could happen. Depending on usable space on our hardtop...

You seem set in trying to cobble together something, yet want to try something new. I think you would be far better served to rethink your plan entirely.

Well, not exactly :) More like wanting to remain with the same basic chemistry (LA AGMs), realizing that an easy plus-up is switching that bank from 3x 12V G31s to 4x 6V GCs -- and I have space to do that -- but at the same time wanting to be sure I'm not missing a good opportunity to begin transitioning to a different chemistry (Li). Given that a simple replacement with AGMs maybe sees me 10 years down the pike... as long as now isn't a good time to switch, I'm good with that. Pretty much the consensus, for an easy transition, is to bag the Lithiums for now, for exactly the reason you mention above. I'm good with that.

What is your daily, 24 hr, use in amp-hours?

Can't remember, off-hand, but I posted it for somebody else in another thread a while back. Think that was on TF... It's within our current capacity, although I usually have to turn off our bridge electronics while at anchor to be within a comfortable margin. And run the genset morning and evening to recharge while we're cooking. Or when we're trolling for long periods on the port engine, I've had to use the parallel switch to restart starboard. It happens, this starboard bank I'm planning to replace/upgrade is the same one that runs our electronics.

Why not make one large house bank? and add a starter battery.

One large bank will be much easier to deal then having two banks being charged at different rates.

Falls into the same category of "too much other stuff" to deal with. This particular manufacturer has been cranking systems like ours out for donkey's, largely aimed at a typical powerboat market: marina hoppers. Having the two separate house banks hasn't really been too big an issue, actually; consider that I also have two separate houses.

Good point about the separate rates, though. My research on chargers, and discussions with our current charger manufacturer, leads me to believe that's not too big a deal, though, at least when staying within the same or similar basic chemistry. That came up first when I wanted to start the transition from FLA to AGM... but didn't want to toss out a perfectly good port bank, and I didn't want to buy 7 batteries all at once. In an overall system that also has a third bank with a relatively tiny genset start battery. Charger guys said no problem; the charger will only send what's demanded to any of the 3x banks.

Two banks as you envision simply can not be as efficient as one bank.

I think that's likely to be mathematically (physics-ly?) correct, but I think in this case the difference isn't going to be enough to worry me too much. I do appreciate the critique, though, very much.

Good Luck

Very good post, Richard, thanks, I appreciate it. Thought easier to follow imbedded responses....

-Chris

Last edited:
Cruising world has an article on Lithium batteries. They looked at three sailboats built with them. Here's my takeaways:

Pros
- can absorb a charge much faster, minimizing run times to recharge
- higher current density. More amp hrs for same space usage
- can be more deeply discharged, reducing number of charging cycles needed
- one setup is projected to have working range of 3000-5000 charging cycles

cons
- possibility of thermal runaway. Precise low and high voltage regulation is key to avoidance
- lithium once ignited can not be extinguished by any onboard device. It will burn till it sinks (sounds like meltdown to me)
- need new charging system
- likely need new forced ventilation on charging system
- must design into system a way to avoid low voltages in battery. Either solar panels, auto start on a genset, etc.
- must be installed in an "always dry" location

Two of the three boats they used for the article are owned by electrical engineers. It seems to me that the complexity of these systems coupled with the potential perils of a voltage mismanagement not to mention the system cost factor make these systems lucrative only to those who wish to tinker on the cutting edge.

The payoff of being able to run 18k BTU AC and a microwave from the batteries just doesn't come close to tip the scale in their favor. For me the technology looks very promising and I'll happily wait in the sidelines for it to mature before considering, in the meantime it'll be tried and true systems for us.

Besides the cost of the batts , most charging sources will need to be 2x or 3x the size to be able to supply the amps the set can absorb .

Providing 300+amps from the main engine or noisemaker is difficult and expensive.

In this case a short time recharge will really be expensive.

Since most energy is required to use on the fridge freezer , it would seem better tech fridges would be easier than experimental batteries.

Richard dumps 150AH a day in the reefer setup, so he has to create at least 200AH to recharge the house batt set.

As larger truck alts are cheap (135ah) feeding a DC fridge with a modern fast freeze eutetic plate might be a simple no risk solution.

The hassle would be on shore power where the DC load could overwhelm most shore chargers.

And of course creating fridge retrofit kits to fit many size old fridges.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom