Lithium batteries

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Steve

Guru
Vessel Name
Gumbo
Vessel Make
2003 Monk 36
Lithium AA batteries, Spot recomends using these. I put a set in two years ago they are still working fine, I only use the Spot for about 5 minutes once a day for a bit less than 100 days per year. Anyone have any experience with about how long they last in such an application?
Thanks
Steve W

Simple answer is a digital volt meter. In mission or safety critical equipment with non rechargeable batteries, I routinely check battery condition to determine replacement. It takes some trial and error to determine at what voltage the batteries need to be replaced. Then set a maintenance schedule wear you check all of non rechargeable batteries on the boat on the same schedule. On my PFDs, the light batteries get changed every year even though they are never used. The old batteries get cycled through equipment where a battery dieing is only a minor inconvenience (such as my nephews noisy toys :D). Think I would replace the batteries in your spot and put the old ones in something else.

Ted

I've been using Lithium batteries (9 volt) in a different application (electric guitar) for probably 20 years. They last eight years or so.

Lithium AA batteries, Spot recomends using these. I put a set in two years ago they are still working fine, I only use the Spot for about 5 minutes once a day for a bit less than 100 days per year. Anyone have any experience with about how long they last in such an application?
Thanks
Steve W

Mine have been working in my Spot for 4 years!

In tracking mode, running about 10 hours a day, about 1 week.

Tom

Thanks
Steve W
I'm thinking calling the manufacturer of the device would get you the best answer.

Second choice would be to put fresh batteries in, note the time and date, then turn it on and leave it on until the batteries are discharged. Total up the number of hours, then apply this figure to your useage pattern.

"I'm thinking calling the manufacturer of the device would get you the best answer."

Now there's a novel thought!Radical even.

Actually Tom gave the answer. Tracking mode is continuous use otherwise it depends on how often you decide to push the button.
The older units with the AA seem to have longer battery life than the newer AAA units.

Actually Tom gave the answer. Tracking mode is continuous use otherwise it depends on how often you decide to push the button.
The older units with the AA seem to have longer battery life than the newer AAA units.

Well, AA cells have more power than AAA cells.

Yes Ron that's a 'dah'.
My comment was referencing the different SPOT units that have been manufactured. They don't all have the same power requirements and battery storage.
Have you ever used a SPOT?

Greetings,
Mr. rwidman. If I may qualify your statement "AA cells have more power than AAA cells"....Power is defined as the work done per unit time. Both (AA+AAA) will supply the same power (watts) but the AA cells will do it for a longer period of time.
This would explain Mr. anode's assertion that AA's have a longer "life" than AAA's (I am assuming an "in use" scenario rather than purely an "idle" storage scenario).
Now the age of the batteries (chemical stability) AND the amount of use (OVERALL time) WILL most definitely be a determining factor in a replacement schedule.

Greetings,
Mr. rwidman. If I may qualify your statement "AA cells have more power than AAA cells"....Power is defined as the work done per unit time. Both (AA+AAA) will supply the same power (watts) but the AA cells will do it for a longer period of time.
RTF

At the risk of sounding nitpicky, AA and AAA batteries do not have the same watts either as stored energy of the ability to do work. As a measure of stored energy, watts is the total measure of stored energy. As a measure of work (volts x amps = watts), an AA battery is able to provide more milliamps at the same voltage drop compared to an AAA battery. Thus it has a greater capacity to do work (milliamp draw) than a AAA battery.

Ted

Ted

RTF

At the risk of sounding nitpicky, AA and AAA batteries do not have the same watts either as stored energy of the ability to do work. As a measure of stored energy, watts is the total measure of stored energy. As a measure of work (volts x amps = watts), an AA battery is able to provide more milliamps at the same voltage drop compared to an AAA battery. Thus it has a greater capacity to do work (milliamp draw) than a AAA battery.

Ted

+1

Back
Top Bottom