Giggitoni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 07:40 PM   #102
Guru

City: Sunset Beach, NC
Vessel Name: Polly P.
Vessel Model: Monk 36
Let us talk about Navigation Lights and Anchor Lights

OK guys and gals, here is the stupid-ass NC PWC law:

(a1) No person shall operate a personal watercraft on the waters of this State at greater than no-wake speed within 100 feet of an anchored or moored vessel, a dock, pier, swim float, marked swimming area, swimmers, surfers, persons engaged in angling, or any manually operated propelled vessel, unless the personal watercraft is operating in a narrow channel. No person shall operate a personal watercraft in a narrow channel at greater than no-wake speed within 50 feet of an anchored or moored vessel, a dock, pier, swim float, marked swimming area, swimmers, surfers, persons engaged in angling, or any manually operated propelled vessel.

If you read this you might say "great, that means they basically cannot go anywhere since the ICW is pretty much less than*100 feet from a dock or anchored or moored vessel about anywhere you go."

But read more closely:* " unless the personal watercraft is operating in a narrow channel"* WTF does that mean?* and then they go on to say more about operating in a narrow channel...

Bottom line, the game warden and CG and local Fuzz don't enforce this law since they probably don't understand it.* As I interpret this they cannot travel anywhere between Little River and Norfolk unless they are in an inlet or sound, but I see those mother*&^Kers flying by my marina all the time.*

And I won't mention the people who put their 3 yr old child in front and drive around oblivious to traffic.* Sheesh.

-- Edited by Egregious on Friday 10th of December 2010 09:41:50 PM
Egregious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 07:52 PM   #103
Guru

City: Bellingham, WA
Vessel Name: Happy Destiny
Vessel Model: Custom Lobster Yacht
RE: Let us talk about Navigation Lights and Anchor Lights

Quote:
Egregious wrote:

OK guys and gals, here is the stupid-ass NC PWC law:

(a1) No person shall operate a personal watercraft on the waters of this State at greater than no-wake speed within 100 feet of an anchored or moored vessel, a dock, pier, swim float, marked swimming area, swimmers, surfers, persons engaged in angling, or any manually operated propelled vessel, unless the personal watercraft is operating in a narrow channel. No person shall operate a personal watercraft in a narrow channel at greater than no-wake speed within 50 feet of an anchored or moored vessel, a dock, pier, swim float, marked swimming area, swimmers, surfers, persons engaged in angling, or any manually operated propelled vessel.

If you read this you might say "great, that means they basically cannot go anywhere since the ICW is pretty much less than*100 feet from a dock or anchored or moored vessel about anywhere you go."

But read more closely:* " unless the personal watercraft is operating in a narrow channel"* WTF does that mean?* and then they go on to say more about operating in a narrow channel...

Bottom line, the game warden and CG and local Fuzz don't enforce this law since they probably don't understand it.* As I interpret this they cannot travel anywhere between Little River and Norfolk unless they are in an inlet or sound, but I see those mother*&^Kers flying by my marina all the time.*

And I won't mention the people who put their 3 yr old child in front and drive around oblivious to traffic.* Sheesh.
-- Edited by Egregious on Friday 10th of December 2010 09:41:50 PM
Too much power with too little intelligence required for operation. Either outlaw them. or limit them to fifteen knots, and that will solve the problem.

Carey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 08:05 PM   #104
Guru

Carey,* it will never happen here:*
there are plenty of inland lakes, not to mention much coastline and ICW and sounds.* Any jackoff with a credit card can and will buy a PWC and go out on the water.* The jackoffs outnumber the responsible boaters like us 10-1 I'd say.

but I do enjoy seeing them freeze their asses off in May and October...
Old 12-10-2010, 08:16 PM   #105
Guru

Quote:
Egregious wrote:

Carey,* it will never happen here:*
there are plenty of inland lakes, not to mention much coastline and ICW and sounds.* Any jackoff with a credit card can and will buy a PWC and go out on the water.* The jackoffs outnumber the responsible boaters like us 10-1 I'd say.

but I do enjoy seeing them freeze their asses off in May and October...
I totally understand. I am still flabergasted (Never wrote that word before. Is it a word? Did I spell it right?) that we were able to outlaw them. The secret is to get the property owners and the boaters to agree that the peace and tranquility is what most of us seek from our experience on the water. If you wan't testosterone moments, get a motorcycle and stay on the land. Honestly, I don't know how we made it happen.

Old 12-10-2010, 08:46 PM   #106
Scraping Paint

City: -

Hmmm.... I don't think I go along with the "ban 'em" philosophy. As usual with these kinds of things, the problem isn't the machine, it's the operator. I've only ridden a PWC once, in Dubai, and it was a hell of a lot of fun.

The problem is that the kind of people who tend to be attracted to PWCs tend to be young, which means they tend to be careless, inconsiderate, unmindful of the rules, and feel that accidents always happen to the other guy. Like the kids with the rice rockets who go zooming and booming through traffic.

Even though PWCs are banned from the San Juan Islands, I find the kids zooming around the anchorages in their parent's inflatables to be every bit as irritating. So should inflatables be banned from the San Juans, too? They can be just as annoying.

I don't know what the answer is. Better parenting? Better law enforcement?

When during my short PWC experience in Dubai a large yacht entered the narrow waterway where we were zipping around I recall thinking, "Stupid boater with his giant turd of a yacht, why doesn't he stay the hell out of here." Or something to that effect.

So it's a two-sided coin. If everybody can ban what annoys them, everything will be banned. As a floatplane pilot my personal beef is windsurfers. There have been plenty of times on Lake Washington where I wished they would be banned as I aborted a takeoff because one zipped out in front of me and then fell over. But again, it's the operator, not the sailboard.
Marin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 09:13 PM   #107
Guru

Quote:
Marin wrote:

Hmmm.... I don't think I go along with the "ban 'em" philosophy. As usual with these kinds of things, the problem isn't the machine, it's the operator. I've only ridden a PWC once, in Dubai, and it was a hell of a lot of fun.

The problem is that the kind of people who tend to be attracted to PWCs tend to be young, which means they tend to be careless, inconsiderate, unmindful of the rules, and feel that accidents always happen to the other guy. Like the kids with the rice rockets who go zooming and booming through traffic.

Even though PWCs are banned from the San Juan Islands, I find the kids zooming around the anchorages in their parent's inflatables to be every bit as irritating. So should inflatables be banned from the San Juans, too? They can be just as annoying.

I don't know what the answer is. Better parenting? Better law enforcement?

When during my short PWC experience in Dubai a large yacht entered the narrow waterway where we were zipping around I recall thinking, "Stupid boater with his giant turd of a yacht, why doesn't he stay the hell out of here." Or something to that effect.

So it's a two-sided coin. If everybody can ban what annoys them, everything will be banned. As a floatplane pilot my personal beef is windsurfers. There have been plenty of times on Lake Washington where I wished they would be banned as I aborted a takeoff because one zipped out in front of me and then fell over. But again, it's the operator, not the sailboard.
So, you are expecting to affect a change in the mentality of the average PWC operator sometime in my lifetime? Yes, I am that shallow. I would choose to work toward the solution with the most potential for success. I want those damn things out of my life. And banning did the trick.

Don't *get me wrong Marin. I agree wholeheartedly that the problem lies in the mentality of the average operator, and not in the vessel. But, testosterone, given the opportunity, will out. Damn it, I want a PWC myself! I know I would love it. But, not having one is a small price to pay for the tranquility we seek. Now all we have to do is deflate all those inflatables that exceed three knots in the harbor.*
Old 12-10-2010, 09:18 PM   #108
Guru

Quote:
Marin wrote:

*I've only ridden a PWC once, in Dubai, and it was a hell of a lot of fun.
I've ridden them plenty of times, and it was always a hell of a lot of fun.* I also nearly killed myself each and every time.* I am lifelong boater, but a unique aspect of the PWC is that it wont turn unless power is applied, and most people turn off the power when they are headed toward an obstacle.

Once I ended up on top of an oyster bed since I was headed toward it at top speed and when I realized I was getting too close I instinctively closed the throttle and turned the "wheel" and the boat just kept on going in the same direction, and then up into the marsh grass.*

I returned the rental PWC with an intake full of grass and a deck covered in blood and mud.

I am*a lifelong boater that can helm a sailboat *as well as*drive an*outboard or yacht, and I still managed to wreck a PWC.

Solutions?* I don't have any.*

Laws?* Yes: the Axiom of Gross Tonnage.

-- Edited by Egregious on Friday 10th of December 2010 11:21:44 PM
Old 12-10-2010, 09:27 PM   #109
Master and Commander

City: Vallejo CA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: penultimate Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6

Having operated a PWC several years ago one afternoon on Folsom Lake (and nowhere near any "real" boat), I find them scary and wouldn't dare to operate faster than 35 mph, well below their maximum speed.* Presently, I'm inclined (as my trawler with air horns hasn't been completed yet) to give them one prolonged horn blast (or five shorts if appropriate) whenever they come within reach, just to let them know there's a boat, without their maneuverability, close by.

-- Edited by markpierce on Saturday 11th of December 2010 12:28:57 AM

-- Edited by markpierce on Saturday 11th of December 2010 12:30:18 AM
markpierce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 09:50 PM   #110
Scraping Paint

City: -

Quote:
Carey wrote:

So, you are expecting to affect a change in the mentality of the average PWC operator sometime in my lifetime? I would choose to work toward the solution with the most potential for success.
Success for you.* The PWC guys probably don't share your idea of success *

I suspect the only reason the ban on PWCs stuck in the San Juans is the high number of real wealthy people who live there who have the kind of political and economic clout to make something like this happen, and the relatively low number of people in the islands*who want to ride PWCs.

I suspect if they tried the same thing in King County (Seattle)*the attempt wouldn't get far.* The PWC*industry is a pretty sizable, I think, and can probably bring a lot of pressure to bear where they feel it's warranted.**To say nothing of the high percentage of people in the south Sound and the lakes who want to ride these things.

I had a really loud sports car my*freshman year in college and I'm sure it irritated the hell out of every resident of every street I drove it*down in Fort Collins at*eleven o'clock at night.* But I was eighteen-nineteen and I didn't*care.* The noise was cool.* We all did stuff like that when we were young.* Then, if you survive, you generally grow out of it.**Zooming around on a*PWC or in a loud car*pissing off the old folks is part of growing up.* It wasn't denied to me.* Why should it be denied to people today?**Part of those freedoms everyone on OTDE is always whining about losing.

You can make the claim that PWCs are dangerous,*but so's crossing the street.* I suspect that a lot more kids are killed by being*stupid*in cars than on PWCs.

I would support the idea of establishing (and enforcing) no-PWC areas like marine parks and popular anchorages*in the San Juans,*crowded harbors like Roche and Friday, and so on.* But if a kid wants to*zoom up and down Hale Passage on a PWC, or back and forth*across Bellingham*Bay, let 'em.* They wouldn't have any impact on me when we run our boat through those places although the Lummi*Tribe*might get tired of the racket....

Now the kid in the inflatable zooming around Fossile Bay making noise and kicking up a big wake for no purpose other than doing it, that's no different than the same kid doing the same thing on a PWC.* I can't believe that between the two of us we can't come up with a solution to that one.* Inflatables can be deflated.... perhaps therein lies the key......
Marin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 10:27 PM   #111
Master and Commander

City: Vallejo CA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: penultimate Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6

Let's wait until excessively-loud*motorcycles are banned from operating within a mile of a residential*area before banning PWCs (I'm being facetious).* Meanwhile, let's expect operators of PWC to*operate within the rules and common sense,*and let them know when they aren't.
markpierce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2010, 04:23 AM   #112
FF
Guru

Close in PWC are simple/

Simply cut some floating Polly Pro line into 2 ft lengths.

Unravel and sprinkle around your boat.

The polly not only stops the impeller , it usually gets the seal, so it will be a week or more of SILENCE! till the hassle is back in the water.
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2010, 09:02 AM   #113
Guru

City: Hailing Port: Charleston, SC
Vessel Name: Moonstruck
Vessel Model: Sabre 42 Hardtop Express

Quote:
FF wrote:

Get a Euro style , Bosch or similar the small crap Perko sells is not legal outside US waters.

Thanks FF, of course your suggestion is the best.**I have been unable to locate Bosch navigation lights,* Aqua Signal has the size, shape and look that would work.* However, the housing is only offered in black.

I tried for three days to get on the Hella site.* It had been taken over by Wikileaks.* Finally got on yesterday with no joy.

I guess I could fabricate a mold for a fiberglass housing or build one out of Star Board.* This would be a heck of alot of trouble.* Maybe I will install a temporary solution untl figuring out one better.

Moonstruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2010, 01:23 PM   #114
Guru

City: Mooloolaba
Vessel Name: Flora
Vessel Model: Timber southern cray boat

Recently renewed my port & stbd lights and stuck with the Aqua Signal. Youse get what you pay for and they are by far and away the better ones around.
Port & Stbd lights on light boards as per regulations, the light boards should have a black background therefore the black lights are fairly standard.

PWC
In Australia you get a free frontal lobotamy with every purchase and so far I think all owners have taken up the offer.
Some even got them for all the family (lobotomys that is)

Benn
Tidahapah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2010, 01:33 PM   #115
Guru

Quote:
Tidahapah wrote:

Recently renewed my port & stbd lights and stuck with the Aqua Signal. Youse get what you pay for and they are by far and away the better ones around.
Benn
Agreed about Aqua Signal lights.* I have them on my mast, and they are my first choice.* The 20 series would work great for me.* I talked with their customer service dept.* They said that*the rorizontal stern light*is only offered in black at this time.* If a boat manufacturer wants to make a white one standard on a model that they would probably rethink offering one in white.* There is nothing black on the cabin top.* I can mount a flush mount stainless steel* housing light and replace when something better comes out.

Old 12-12-2010, 04:49 AM   #116
FF
Guru

Actually mostly the Perko Yacht stuff is pure JUNK.

Once you look on the commercial side , the stuff for boats over 65 (or so) is not that bad.

Pri$y , but fine as far as service life , and legal worldwide.
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 10:05 AM   #117
Veteran Member

Green, Blue, White, Red... I'm sure I'm throwing away a good moneymaker but here goes. I think it's time that someone come out with navigation lights that are positional or that flash at a specific rate rather than just color. Spaced a specific distance from each other so you can get an idea of distance as well.

I'm color blind and I hate to tell you'all this but it's a male dominate trate. AND quite honostly, when I'm out at night (which is rare) and I see you across the pond from me, your lights might as well be white. As a matter of fact, to me, I see white light from far away, green light = dim white light that is not visable from as far away and red light = very dim light which is visable from even shorter distances. Thank God for my radar!

You know what it's like tracking boats in the fog with your radar. You don't know if the other guy has radar to see you or not. TAKE THE SAME PRECAUTIONS AT NIGHT. Do not assume that just because you have your running lights on that the other guy knows your port from your starboard OR your stern AND that he knows your orientation and your bearing!

I see some of you out there running along, passing each other quite close - apparently relying on each others nav lights for not only location but also distance. You don't reduce speed and frankly you scare me. (I'm just waiting to hear from someone running at 16kts + at night and find a dead head.)

Sorry, not wishing anyone any misfortune. Just know that those lights are not doing what you think they might.
carvendive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 01:50 PM   #118
Guru

I was running down from Baltimore to Solomons in the middle of December.* Left Baltimore in the afternoon.* Why so late going South and leaving late in the afternoon was another story.* Upon arriving at Solomons after dark, it was a jumble of red, green, and white Christmas lights.* Christmas lights were on homes, boats, docks, and businesses.* Everything was blinking.* It was a nightmare to figure it all out.* Radar can sure come in handy.

A couple of days later we entered the North end of the Pungo River.* Same situation (days are sure short this time of year).* The channel makes a turn *and markers change sides at that juncture.* I finally placed a cursor on the marker I was looking for, turned on the autopilot and told it to track.* We went right to it.* Entering Dowry Creek that night was another story, but we arrived with no problems.* Ain't technology great?