Old 12-09-2010, 06:32 PM   #81
Guru

City: Vallejo, California
Vessel Name: Mahalo Moi
Vessel Model: 1986 Grand Banks 42 Classic
RE: Let us talk about Navigation Lights and Anchor Lights

I agree with you, Ron. 100%. However, common sense won't buy us a thing in the eyes of the defendants attorney or the insurance company who's trying to find any excuse to not pay your claim.

Ray

Giggitoni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 07:19 PM   #82
Scraping Paint

City: -

One possible reason for allowing two lighting configurations for boats under 12 meters is that many smaller boats--- like our 17' Arima--- have no mast to mount a separate steaming light on. So the one all-round light is accepted. But a "correct" display of a forward-facing white steaming light and a sternlight makes a vessel more visible. So that's preferred if you can do it. They had to set a length limit of some sort for the "exception," so 12 meters was chosen for whatever reason.

The all-round white light for trawlers in the 36' range is legal, but it's not preferred or recommended by the USCG people I've had the opportunity to talk to about this. Their reasoning has been that the all-round light on boats like ours is most likely to be the anchor light, which on many boats is on top of the mast. A proper sternlight is most likely going to be mounted on the cap rail, hand rail, staff, or aft end of a cabin, and a steaming light is most likely to be placed lower on a mast or on a cabin top. All of which are lower than a masthead anchor light. Which means they will be more apparent to another boater as they will be in the other boater's line of sight.

We don't normally run at night because the risk of hitting debris in our water is too great. But if we did make a habit of running at night, we would figure out a way of moving the sternlight up so it would clear the top of the swimstep mounted dinghy, and we'd use it and the steaming light instead of the all-round (anchor) light.

Marin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 07:27 PM   #83
Guru

City: Somewhere
Vessel Name: Island Pride
Vessel Model: Palmer sedan 32'

Marin is not the only one to use a lamp. This is the second lamp for us. The first was a cheap copy of the Dutch built units and they did not get it right.
I then bought a Dutch made lamp and it has been fine, rain, wind. The goofy thing was the Dutch one wasn't a whole lot more than the junk copy.
I too like the slightly orangish light. Our boat can be spotted from a long ways away by the colour and it is as easily seen as any other electric light.

As for the black ball and other signals. They have become a bit of a joke here. The darn things are meant to be placed when needed. Our local folk seems to think that means WELDED permanently in place so running or not the signals are all up. So who the h**k knows what they are doing by those signals. They have made them almost useless by these actions. So for anchoring I look to see if I can see the anchor rode down, not at or for the ball.

Of course we tend to anchor in spots that are known anchorages, rather than in or near fairways, or tiny coves where it should be clear.

Your point about lawyers and insurance companies is taken.
C lectric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 07:33 PM   #84
Guru

City: Whittier AK
Vessel Name: Apache II
Vessel Model: 1974 Donald Jones
Let us talk about Navigation Lights and Anchor Lights

Ok we have about figured out and solved all the problems with nav lights and day shapes.

I guess the next step would be sounds.

*Do you have* a bell /*I do but I had to tie the string up to keep it out of the way.
Looks cool** It is out*on the back deck Just above the door.*Nice and green You know weathered bronze and really pretty loud.*

I have a horn. It isn't very loud so**I usually use a* hand held.

Like you said most people don't even know what sounds to make at all.
or that your suppose to.

any body ever have to use there horn?

I'm told some of the inland Horn cops can be pretty touchy on the subject.

SD

-- Edited by skipperdude on Thursday 9th of December 2010 08:38:51 PM
skipperdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 07:46 PM   #85
Guru

City: North Charleston, SC

Quote:
skipperdude wrote:

Ok we have about figured out and solved all the problems with nav lights and day shapes.

I guess the next step would be sounds.

*Do you have* a bell /*I do but I had to tie the string up to keep it out of the way.
Looks cool** It is out*on the back deck Just above the door.*Nice and green You know weathered bronze and really pretty loud.*

I have a horn. It isn't very loud so**I usually use a* hand held.

Like you said most people don't even know what sounds to make at all.
or that your suppose to.

I'm told some of the inland Horn cops can be pretty touchy on the subject.

SD

-- Edited by skipperdude on Thursday 9th of December 2010 08:38:51 PM

I installed a pretty loud Ongaro dual trumpet horn.* You're supposed to use it when you leave your slip.* Nobody in my marina does this.* Besides, it would be a bad idea at daybreak if anyone is sleeping on their boat.

You're supposed to use it when in reverse.* When I'm backing into my slip I have enough to do without fooling with the horn.

Other than that, I have used the "danger" signal (five short blasts) a couple times when someone didn't seem to see my boat or realize I had the right of way.

I also have a "canned air" horn that I have been known to use when someone at the nearby public ramp wasn't quite sure what "No Wake" meant.

rwidman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 08:51 PM   #86
Scraping Paint

We have a large bronze bell mounted outside the main cabin door where it's easily reached by the person at the helm. So far we've not had occasion to use it.

The boat is equipped with a pair of very loud air horns with the compressor under the flying bridge consol. When it's foggy we boat in the fog so the horns get a fair amount of use.

We also have a Standard Horizon LH5 hailer/intercom that will broadcast various horn timings and bell and siren signals from it's speaker horn outside. When we're in fog we set it to broadcast its horn tone every two minutes. When the LH5 horn goes off we hit the air horn button. This way we don't have to keep track of time intervals with a watch.

We've also used an oven timer to time air horn blasts.
Old 12-09-2010, 08:55 PM   #87
Guru

City: Bellingham, WA
Vessel Name: Happy Destiny
Vessel Model: Custom Lobster Yacht

Quote:
Marin wrote:

We have a large bronze bell mounted outside the main cabin door where it's easily reached by the person at the helm. So far we've not had occasion to use it.

The boat is equipped with a pair of very loud air horns with the compressor under the flying bridge consol. When it's foggy we boat in the fog so the horns get a fair amount of use.

We also have a Standard Horizon LH5 hailer/intercom that will broadcast various horn timings and bell and siren signals from it's speaker horn outside. When we're in fog we set it to broadcast its horn tone every two minutes. When the LH5 horn goes off we hit the air horn button. This way we don't have to keep track of time intervals with a watch.

We've also used an oven timer to time air horn blasts.
My favorite noise maker is the bicycle horn I occasionally use when entering or leaving a moorage, just to say hello to friends. You know the horn. The one with the rubber ball and a chrome trumpet attached. If I knew how to spell the sound, or describe it, I would. Any takers???
Carey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 09:00 PM   #88
Scraping Paint

Quote:
Carey wrote:

The one with the rubber ball and a chrome trumpet attached. If I knew how to spell the sound, or describe it, I would. Any takers???
I've always called it a Harpo Marx horn.

Old 12-10-2010, 03:46 AM   #89
Enigma

City: Slicker?

Hiya,
** Mr. Marin.* You pickin' on my brother?
http://www.tradeindia.com/fp466908/Taxi-Horn.html
** Nope, NOT a picture of Harpo, could be that horn*Mr. Carey's*refering to.

-- Edited by RT Firefly on Friday 10th of December 2010 08:05:51 AM

-- Edited by RT Firefly on Friday 10th of December 2010 08:06:22 AM
RT Firefly is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 04:20 AM   #90
FF
Guru

When Sailing offshore we usually used a 10W Euro 360 deg anchor light , instead of a tri color.

This would provide better info to any other vessel as near 100% of the white gets out , where about 90% of the red or green is absorbed.

A boat of 7 meters would be legal with this , we were 10m.

Don't think the Esso Maru would be passing within 3 meters so it was first choice.

Now with a motor boat the 4 - 25W units are no problem to power.
FF is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 04:34 AM   #91
Guru

City: Everett Wa
Vessel Name: Eagle
Vessel Model: Roughwater 58 pilot house

I want to thank you all for reminding me how much I have forgotten.*However the quick reference has most of the information.* The only day shapes I have seen is on the commercials but you have to look real hard to see them among their gear/rigging.* I have looked as installing a loud hailer that has the horns, whistles and bells.* They sell for about 275 bucks.* *

Our old anchor light has a strobe?* What is a strobe used for?
Phil Fill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 06:46 AM   #92
Guru

City: Atlanta
Vessel Model: Bayliner 4550 Pilothouse

I would like to install a hailer with bells, etc. on our trawler...not going to do it now but maybe this spring due to all the other stuff I am doing to the boat.

Previous owner just used a hand held air horn. I just installed a new trumpet style air horn on the trawler last weekend- could not stand going out from the slip without a horn to get someone's attention if need be!

Bell....I seem to recall hearing recently that the USCG just recently eliminated the requirement for a bell for boats under 39'?? Perhaps they were never required and I just missed it??
Woodsong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 07:02 AM   #93
Guru

Quote:
Phil Fill wrote:

*I have looked as installing a loud hailer that has the horns, whistles and bells.* They sell for about 275 bucks.* *

You can get a Standard Horizon VHF radio that has all that built in for $400 list, about $330 street price.* It also has a built in AIS receiver that displays ship positions and interfaces with most modern plotters.

Old 12-10-2010, 07:11 AM   #94
TF Site Team

City: JAX, FL
Vessel Name: Hobo
Vessel Model: Krogen 42-120

Quote:
Phil Fill wrote:

*Our old anchor light has a strobe?* What is a strobe used for?

This topic came up a lot when we had our sailboat.* A*strobe is technically illegal to use but I would use it if I had to.* Here are the specific regulations under I.R.P.C.S./ ColRegs/ International Regulations for Preventing Collisions at Sea.

Rule 36Signals to attract attention.
If necessary to attract the attention of another vessel any vessel may make light or sound signals that cannot be mistaken for any signal authorised elsewhere in these Rules, or may direct the beam of her searchlight in the direction of the danger, in such a way as not to embarrass any vessel. Any light to attract the attention of another vessel shall be such that it cannot be mistaken for any aid to navigation. For the purpose of this Rule the use of high intensity intermittent or revolving lights, such as strobe lights, shall be avoided.

Larry/Lena
Hobo KK42
Manzanillo, Colima, MX
Larry M is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 09:46 AM   #95
Guru

Quote:
RT Firefly wrote:

Hiya,
Mr. Marin.* You pickin' on my brother?
http://www.tradeindia.com/fp466908/Taxi-Horn.html
Nope, NOT a picture of Harpo, could be that horn*Mr. Carey's*refering to.

-- Edited by RT Firefly on Friday 10th of December 2010 08:05:51 AM

-- Edited by RT Firefly on Friday 10th of December 2010 08:06:22 AM

RT
That's exactly the same as mine, but entirely different. I have the basic bicycle version in chrome. Brass after all is so, last year.* I really like Marin's reference to the Harpo Horn.

-- Edited by Carey on Friday 10th of December 2010 10:52:57 AM

-- Edited by Carey on Friday 10th of December 2010 11:59:04 AM
Old 12-10-2010, 10:47 AM   #96
Guru

City: Everett Wa
Vessel Name: Eagle
Vessel Model: Roughwater 58 pilot house

Thanks that is good to know as I need to buy new fixed VHF with AIS, so the hailer with sounds would be an added benefit.*

For Christmas I use to wrap Christmas lights about the mast stays and turn the strobe light on for a start.* A couple of times I turned on the strobe light on if people couple not find us. *Also I was thinking if we installed a security system to connect/use the strobe light. There are a lot of misc. items on the want list before we throw off the line. **I wonder if my wife would like a new VHF for Christmas?*
Phil Fill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 10:52 AM   #97
Guru

Quote:
Phil Fill wrote:

Thanks that is good to know as I need to buy new fixed VHF with AIS, so the hailer with sounds would be an added benefit.*
http://www.standardhorizon.com/index...41A0167DE2A031

Old 12-10-2010, 12:08 PM   #98
Guru

City: Sunset Beach, NC
Vessel Name: Polly P.
Vessel Model: Monk 36

Quote:
skipperdude wrote:I guess the next step would be sounds.

Yes I use the horn often.* If a PWC gets within 50 yards of my vessel I honk at them.* They are worse than people driving with cell phones.* They don't travel in any particular direction and I think making a noise might help them "wake up" and pay attention.* In NC the state laws that regulate these things are a joke and are rarely enforced, and I don't know what they are in SC, if there even are any.

Recently I gave two beeps to a sailboat who did not respond to my VHF request for a slow pass.* Two blasts meaning "leaving you on MY starboard" in this case.

Also, BTW in NC in a motor vehicle it is the Law (at least it was when I was 16) that you honk you horn when passing another vehicle.* Some people think I'm being rude, but they just don't know the law.* I think it should be a law to blast your horn when approaching a PWC

Egregious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 12:59 PM   #99
Master and Commander

City: Vallejo CA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: 2011 Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6

Quote:
Egregious wrote:

Recently I gave two beeps to a sailboat who did not respond to my VHF request for a slow pass.* Two blasts meaning "leaving you on MY starboard" in this case.

I wouldn't expect a radio or horn response from any sailboat.

markpierce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 03:57 PM   #100
Guru

Quote:
Egregious wrote:

skipperdude wrote:I guess the next step would be sounds.

Yes I use the horn often.* If a PWC gets within 50 yards of my vessel I honk at them.* They are worse than people driving with cell phones.* They don't travel in any particular direction and I think making a noise might help them "wake up" and pay attention.* In NC the state laws that regulate these things are a joke and are rarely enforced, and I don't know what they are in SC, if there even are any.

Also, BTW in NC in a motor vehicle it is the Law (at least it was when I was 16) that you honk you horn when passing another vehicle.* Some people think I'm being rude, but they just don't know the law.* I think it should be a law to blast your horn when approaching a PWC I sympathise with you on the PWC problem. They are like mosquitos in your whiskey. We solved that problem here in the San Juan Islands, by outlawing them. I never thought it would hold up in court, but it did. We have had over ten years without the little insects.