Old 01-13-2015, 10:47 AM   #41
TF Site Team
City: Friday Harbor, WA
Vessel Name: Hobo
Vessel Model: Krogen 42-120
Originally Posted by N4712 View Post
...I think i would have a problem with those fitting in my fixtures, as my light funnels are quite long.
Trying to find the right LEDs has been hard as you know. Through the years we bought a lot of "experiments". Here's a partial collection with only one success. Hopefully as time goes on, the standards and quality will continue to get better.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	003.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	91.9 KB
ID:	36352  

Larry M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2015, 12:16 PM   #42
City: Duncan Cove, BC
Vessel Name: Gwaii Haanas
Vessel Model: Vancouver Shipyards Custom Aluminum 52
I forgot to mention (easy there big fellow) that if you are using open array bulbs, you can buy a spray called "Conformal Coating" which is used to waterproof circuit boards. My friend, who built the Olympic Welcome Sign out of LEDs at Vancouver airport a year or two ago, sprayed all circuits and circuit boards with same. Try not to spray the lenses of the LEDs but get it everywhere else. It is particularly useful if you spray those used outside, like in your nav lights. Available at fine electronics stores everywhere.

"...Tongue tied and twisted, just an earthbound misfit..."
Xsbank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2015, 12:22 PM   #43
Veteran Member
City: Olympia
Vessel Name: No Plans
Vessel Model: 1965 TollyCraft Voyager
My boat has the original 50 year old fixtures and I was in no mood to rewire and replace, yet the old style bulbs ate battery power and generated enough heat that it concerned me. Took a bulb out and walked into a store in Portland OR and they sold me Source LED warm white replacements. They slide right in and run very cool. Definitely mess up FM radio reception, but with the quality of most broadcast content, that is no real loss. They are spendy little buggers, but my little boat only has 6 light fixtures. I put a nifty red light in the fixture in the pilothouse for better night vision. The store said they would guarantee them as long as their doors were open.
Source Led - led light bulbs, lighting, led replacement bulbs
MVNoPlans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2015, 11:31 AM   #44
City: Seattle
Vessel Name: The Promise
Vessel Model: Roughwater 35
I purchased some LED's from Marine Beam.

UN-DOME-15-RWW is for replacing in the bayonet mount overhead lights and have a very nice red/white feature. So if running at night they will burn red to preserve night vision.

ED-E26-4W Edison base bulbs are nicely made, but give off interference with my GE Superadio, this is a very sensitive superhetrodyne radio. So I have to decide if I will keep these bulbs. I will be checking how the interference is with my Sony ICF-SW7600GR shortwave.

I also bought some red & white 31mm Festoon bulbs for my nav lights.

Dave & Suzie - Roughwater 35
dhmeissner is offline   Reply With Quote