Old 01-12-2015, 07:05 PM   #21

City: Skagway Alaska
Vessel Name: Nowitna and Yukon
Vessel Model: Schucker and 53 foot wood homemade
Probably hard for some wealthy people to understand what lengths some people will go too to save a few bucks. To each his own. Time is money or money is time you choose. Just don't beat people up for their ideas.
Good boating all.

freshalaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2015, 07:31 PM   #22
Guru

City: South FL
Vessel Name: Oliver
Vessel Model: Nordhavn 47 Hull# 12
LEDs

Quote:
Originally Posted by freshalaska View Post
Probably hard for some wealthy people to understand what lengths some people will go too to save a few bucks. To each his own. Time is money or money is time you choose. Just don't beat people up for their ideas.
Good boating all.

Me and XS had the same disagreements with me on my last LEDs thread when I put the Chinese ones in. I guess he thought I forgot.

The thing is I don't Want to make the mistake TWICE. We have around 60 lights and changing them involves pulling all the ceilings down which is PITA, so I'd like this to be the last time I pull them down. Don't even try to pull the wealth card...

Nordhavn 47 Hull #12
N4712 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2015, 07:35 PM   #23
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by psneeld View Post
Like some....I tried the $4 a pop cheapos...they lasted and now after a year...not one single led is out on 8 fixtures.

they get hot but not as bad as incandescent and I went with the extra brights with more leds than the expensive ones.

I was skeptical, but so far so good.

Glad they worked for you, mine weren't far off in price at around $3 a piece If memory serves. Maybe I got a bad batch.

At first I liked the idea of cool white in the cabin but it didn't grow on me, I think we're better off with warm.
Nordhavn 47 Hull #12
Old 01-12-2015, 07:35 PM   #24
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Insequent View Post
Hmm, interesting. None of those issues with any of the Superbrights I've bought.

Maybe I was subject to a bad batch. What style were yours?
Nordhavn 47 Hull #12
Old 01-12-2015, 07:48 PM   #25
Guru

City: Avalon, NJ
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by N4712 View Post
Glad they worked for you, mine weren't far off in price at around $3 a piece If memory serves. Maybe I got a bad batch.

At first I liked the idea of cool white in the cabin but it didn't grow on me, I think we're better off with warm.
Yes...hate the bright white but crew needs the light and contrast.

Hope they work too...mine melted the backing like most...found just laying them in the old cheapo fixture on the glass works fine...thought the heat would cook them but good so far.
psneeld is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2015, 07:58 PM   #26
Guru

Quote:
Yes...hate the bright white but crew needs the light and contrast.

Hope they work too...mine melted the backing like most...found just laying them in the old cheapo fixture on the glass works fine...thought the heat would cook them but good so far.

Heat wasn't a big problem, a little extra AC time does t hurt the genny. What style pin setup are yours?
Nordhavn 47 Hull #12
Old 01-12-2015, 08:11 PM   #27
Guru

City: Avalon, NJ
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
Quote:
Heat wasn't a big problem, a little extra AC time does t hurt the genny. What style pin setup are yours?
They would have been sockets not pins, but couldn't find what I wanted in the socket type so I wound up just cutting the leads and hard wiring them.
psneeld is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2015, 09:37 PM   #28
Guru

City: Hailing Port: Charleston, SC
Vessel Name: Moonstruck
Vessel Model: Sabre 42 Hardtop Express
The bulbs I have bought from Superbriteleds.com have all had buck drivers on board. Out of 40 bought there was one early failure. I called them. They mailed me another without sending the bad one back. I have not noticed that they have been hot. I just converted all the lights in the RV to LED also.
http://moonstruckblog.wordpress.com/
Moonstruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2015, 09:37 PM   #29
Guru

Quote:
They would have been sockets not pins, but couldn't find what I wanted in the socket type so I wound up just cutting the leads and hard wiring them.
Ah ok.
Nordhavn 47 Hull #12
Old 01-12-2015, 09:39 PM   #30
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonstruck View Post
The bulbs I have bought from Superbriteleds.com have all had buck drivers on board. Out of 40 bought there was one early failure. I called them. They mailed me another without sending the bad one back. I have not notices that they have been hot. I just converted all the lights in the RV to LED also.
What type were they? Ours were little potted diodes with a lens glued on with a cylindrical shaped heatsink.
Nordhavn 47 Hull #12
Old 01-12-2015, 09:42 PM   #31
Guru

Quote:

Me and XS had the same disagreements with me on my last LEDs thread when I put the Chinese ones in. I guess he thought I forgot.

The thing is I don't Want to make the mistake TWICE. We have around 60 lights and changing them involves pulling all the ceilings down which is PITA, so I'd like this to be the last time I pull them down. Don't even try to pull the wealth card...
Also to further add to that, I DO value my time because I only get around 2 months out of the year to go cruising ( not talking little 3 day trips) so I'd not want half the boat apart fixing some half a$$ cheap workaround when I could be cruising. Don't have the the luxury to cruise full time yet, but up ahead I will. Otherwise it's a 2 month limit.
Nordhavn 47 Hull #12
Old 01-12-2015, 09:47 PM   #32
Guru

Also as a side note I have 4 BA15 dual contact bulbs from super-bright leds that have been working flawlessly.
Nordhavn 47 Hull #12
Old 01-12-2015, 09:47 PM   #33
Guru

City: Hailing Port: Charleston, SC
Vessel Name: Moonstruck
Vessel Model: Sabre 42 Hardtop Express
Quote:
What type were they? Ours were little potted diodes with a lens glued on with a cylindrical shaped heatsink.
They were mostly G4 bi-pin discs. Some were festoons, some were card type. Some were light bars under cornices, etc. On the G4 we has some side pin, and some back pin for reading lamps. The RV were mostly 1156 base.
http://moonstruckblog.wordpress.com/
Moonstruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2015, 10:19 PM   #34
Guru

City: Brisbane
Vessel Name: Insequent
Vessel Model: Ocean Alexander 50 Mk I
Quote:
Maybe I was subject to a bad batch. What style were yours?
Simple question, but not simple to answer until I checked! Turns out I can only find 2 Superbright orders. Here's the embarrassing bit - although I bought 5 x AR111-x36SMD and 5 x G4-xWHP15-DAC, I discovered that none of them have been installed! So I have no idea whether they get hot or will last! I should test them I guess.

But I can say the work lights from Superbright, AUX-10W-SxB (some 60 and some 120 spreads), WL-24W-O80 and ORBX15-72WD-SP were installed and are great. All came in aly housings and are mounted externally.

I have bought LEDs from a number of places, right back to when Fisheries Supply first stocked them. First pic is of a big fail - the plastic mounting must have been close to melting. They have no circuitry on the back at all.

Second pic ones are marked DoctorLED.com (sourced from Fisheries) and these run cool and are in most of my cabins. These have been great and the reason the 10 Superbrights noted above remain uninstalled.

Then there is the 4-pack from IKEA, fairly soft lighting, cover removed. I have quite a few of this style of light, which were originally festoon bulbs. I modified half of them to the Ikea style but used LED festoons in the rest.

Final pic is lamp replacement bulb sourced from an electrical wholesale shop quite a while ago at great expense. They are labelled 'Verbatim Model 97583', and are 120VAC 50/60Hz. These will sometimes flicker - drives me nuts. They will get ditched if they get into the flickering habit again.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	9 LED fail.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	70.8 KB
ID:	36327   Click image for larger version

Name:	Dr LED 9 bayonet.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	79.9 KB
ID:	36328   Click image for larger version

Name:	IKEA 4 pack LED.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	130.2 KB
ID:	36329   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lamp LED flkr.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	48.5 KB
ID:	36330  
Old 01-12-2015, 10:24 PM   #35
Guru

City: North Carolina for now
Vessel Name: Small Incentive
Vessel Model: Boston Whaler 130 Sport
My experience with MarineBeam has also been excellent and the stuff stands the test of time. The guy really knows boats and the issues involved. I tried some bargain and semi-bargain units from others and just gave up. I always think of "cheap" in terms of total lifetime cost of ownership for the same quality of experience. Now, yes, I do value my time at something north of zero and on complex things factor that in, but changing a light bulb... not so much.

"There's the Right Way, the Wrong Way, and what some guy says he's gotten away with"
caltexflanc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2015, 03:01 AM   #36
Guru

City: Pender Harbour, BC
Vessel Name: Gwaii Haanas
Vessel Model: Vancouver Shipyards Custom Aluminum 52
Sorry you got cheesed off Oliver. This forum is supposed to be an exchange of ideas and just because we don't agree is no reason to lose your rag. I thought some of my stuff might be useful if not for you but for the rest of the thousands on here who own boats and might want some other info. For all I know, that rumbling you hear in the background might be a stampede of people following you. Or the slamming of lids on computers when they read me. In any case, I'm buying a new fridge.
Old 01-13-2015, 07:22 AM   #37
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xsbank View Post
Sorry you got cheesed off Oliver. This forum is supposed to be an exchange of ideas and just because we don't agree is no reason to lose your rag. I thought some of my stuff might be useful if not for you but for the rest of the thousands on here who own boats and might want some other info. For all I know, that rumbling you hear in the background might be a stampede of people following you. Or the slamming of lids on computers when they read me. In any case, I'm buying a new fridge.

Yeah I guess... Good luck with the fridge install! Now what kinda light does have inside it?
Nordhavn 47 Hull #12
Old 01-13-2015, 07:53 AM   #38
Guru

City: Fort Myers, FL... Summers in Crisfield, MD
Vessel Name: Slow Hand
Vessel Model: Cherubini Independence 45
Have been using "Hero" LEDs which you buy direct from china. They use a power supply on the 24 volt models that will allow you to imput 10 to 30 volts. The 30 watt equivalent of the 1st post is about $8. In the G4 pin configuation they have a wide selection or 24 volt bulbs in both warm and cool color temperature. They also carry a large selection of adapters and bulb sockets. Have been very happy with everything I have gotten from them so far.

hero-ledstore.com

Ted
"Slow Hand" by The Pointer Sisters
O C Diver is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2015, 09:04 AM   #39
TF Site Team

City: JAX, FL
Vessel Name: Hobo
Vessel Model: Krogen 42-120
This is a repost and update. After a year plus with 10 of these, zero failures.

We found these at Lowe's for G4 replacement at less than $10. It's the equivalent to a 20 watt bulb (190 Lumens). They also had replacements for 10 watt G4s.

This site gives some pretty good performance values when changing from incandescent to LEDs

http://www.lightingfacts.com/Downloa...ance_Scale.pdf

Attached Thumbnails
Larry M is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2015, 09:41 AM   #40
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry M View Post
This is a repost and update. After a year plus with 10 of these, zero failures.

We found these at Lowe's for G4 replacement at less than $10. It's the equivalent to a 20 watt bulb (190 Lumens). They also had replacements for 10 watt G4s.

This site gives some pretty good performance values when changing from incandescent to LEDs

http://www.lightingfacts.com/Downloa...ance_Scale.pdf

Attached Thumbnails
Larry, Nice! I think i would have a problem with those fitting in my fixtures, as my light funnels are quite long.

Nordhavn 47 Hull #12