Old 08-08-2016, 09:26 PM   #1
Guru

City: Cowiche, WA
Cabin light LED recommendation

Hello,

I am wanting to switch out my lighting to LED's starting with my salon lights which are currently fixtures with 2-17 1/2" fluorescent bulbs. I have not found a led replacement bulb for them yet. Does anyone have something they have installed that they like? Photos and source info would be greatly appreciated.

Keith
kolive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2016, 06:01 AM   #2
FF
Guru

Just sticking in an LED bulb may not be successful as many LED require some sort of voltage regulation to work properly.

superbrightleds.com might have what you need.
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2016, 06:24 AM   #3
Guru

City: Full Time Cruising East Coast
Vessel Name: Meridian
Vessel Model: Krogen-42
I purchased a 5 meter roll of led lights for $6 of of eBay , took the guts out of my fluorescent fixtures, cut the LEDs to length and soldered them in. Twice as bright. Took 10 minutes per fixture. If you want real bright just double or triple up the strips.

Sent from my iPhone using Trawler Forum
KK-42097
meridian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2016, 06:50 AM   #4

City: Bucksport, Maine
Vessel Name: T/T Whistful
Vessel Model: Boat US 12' Inflatable
This is another thing that's shared between boats and campers/RVs...12v lighting.
It's also a very popular upgrade in RVs, as there is a shared concern about battery life.
If you google "swapping 12v lights for LED", you'll see quite a few hits from camping forums, and a ton of good info.
I've swapped all of my stick-built lights for LEDs, and it's a mod we'll certainly be doing on our boat, WHEN we get it
Lobstah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2016, 06:55 AM   #5
Guru

City: Ft Pierce
Vessel Name: Sold
Vessel Model: Was an Albin/PSN 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by meridian View Post
I purchased a 5 meter roll of led lights for $6 of of eBay , took the guts out of my fluorescent fixtures, cut the LEDs to length and soldered them in. Twice as bright. Took 10 minutes per fixture. If you want real bright just double or triple up the strips.

Sent from my iPhone using Trawler Forum
stuck 2 strips of LED tape lighting in each one....nice but took me linger because of the stuff can be hard to solder.

I did it as an interim fix till I redid the overhead with newer fixtures.
psneeld is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2016, 07:33 AM   #6

City: Tasmania
Vessel Model: Old Town Loon
We just finished changing all the lighting on our boat to LED's. No fluorescent all just 12 volt individual bulbs but got them all from Amazon. You may find better places where you are but it was by far the cheapest and easiest way from here.
It might be worth a look and if you could post a picture of you light fixtures it might give a better idea of what you need,

Brett
Jetstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2016, 09:06 AM   #7

City: Baytown, Texas
Vessel Name: Islander
Vessel Model: Prairie 36
Got my LEDs from SuperBrite LED online. They have a really good selection.

Kevin
tallswede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2016, 09:58 AM   #8
Guru

thanks for all the suggestions. I had thought I remembered sometng about the strip led's but could not locate the thread for it. I will also check the rv and camping sites. I have been looking at the super right led and dr led site to see what is available. Some of the fixtures are an easy exchange. I might have to change my fluorescent fixtures if there is not a bulb replacement for them. I head back to the boat tomorrow and will take photos of the current fixtures.

Keith
Old 08-09-2016, 10:17 AM   #9

There should be 12V led bulbs available for whatever fixtures you have. Ebay has many styles available. I've bought a bunch there but always used a USA supplier in the event I had to return any. Which I did and was an easy exchange.
The strip lights work great and there are clip-on connectors available to minimize or eliminate soldering.
folivier is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2016, 10:47 AM   #10
Guru

Folivier,

Thanks, I am viewing YouTube videos about strip lighting right now and have located a store near our boat to purchase the supplies. Also looking at direct bulb replacements which are more expensive but plug and play. Have not decided which way to go yet and will most likely want to see each one working to compare the lighting. I am wanting a warm as opposed to a cool lighting. Sometimes the led can be a bit on the harsh bright side so I think I am looking for something in the 4000 K range instead f the more common 6000k.

Thanks for replying!
Old 08-09-2016, 11:19 AM   #11
TF Site Team

City: California Delta
Vessel Name: FlyWright
Vessel Model: 1977 Marshall Californian 34 LRC
kolive,

Here's a thread that may help you.

http://www.trawlerforum.com/forums/s...ure-24518.html

@DeltaBridges - 25 Delta Bridges in 25 Days
FlyWright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2016, 12:47 PM   #12
Guru

City: Annapolis
Vessel Name: Ranger
Vessel Model: 58' Sedan Bridge
Quote:
Originally Posted by kolive View Post
Folivier,

Thanks, I am viewing YouTube videos about strip lighting right now and have located a store near our boat to purchase the supplies. Also looking at direct bulb replacements which are more expensive but plug and play. Have not decided which way to go yet and will most likely want to see each one working to compare the lighting. I am wanting a warm as opposed to a cool lighting. Sometimes the led can be a bit on the harsh bright side so I think I am looking for something in the 4000 K range instead f the more common 6000k.

"Warm will be closer to 2700°K -- and above 3500°-ish they start being called bright or cool.

You might look at marinebeam.com, too. Seems to me I saw somewhere an LED plug-in for fluorescent fixtures... might have been there... but anyway, marinebeam has some tutorial info as well. I've replaced all our original bulbs with LEDs from marinebeam, but ours were all G4 (bi-pin) or wedge connections.

I strung a flexible 5.5m strip of bright/cool LEDs (from superbrightleds) in the engine room, and that turned out to be useful...

-Chris
Old 08-09-2016, 03:51 PM   #13
Guru

City: Port Townsend, WA
Vessel Name: Traveler
Vessel Model: Cheoy Lee 46 LRC
Last summer we switched out ALL our interior lights to LEDs from Doctor LED. A combination of drop-in replacement bulbs, conversion kits, and all new fixtures. We're making a video of the entire project, but have a few individual install videos done (links below). As part of the overall video we turned on every single interior light with the old halogen/incandescent and fluorescent bulbs and we were drawing 27.9 amps. After switching them all over to LED the total amp draw was 6.4. Of course we'll never have every single light on at once, but it made for a good illustration.

Pacific NW Boater - HOW-2 - Installing Dr. LED Gold Std Lights

Pacific NW Boater - HOW-2 - Installing Dr LED Dome Light Conversion Kit

Doctor LED, Dr. LED, is a designer and manufacturer of LED-based lighting solutions for marine and boating applications.
https://www.theboatgeeks.com
Moonfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2016, 10:55 PM   #14
Guru

City: Gibsons, B.C., Canada
Vessel Name: Island Pride
Vessel Model: Palmer 32'
I changed both the boat and trailer to led. Mine are warm white at about 2700k.

Much higher gets harsh although the cools will be better in an engine compartment or other non living space. There are actually more lumens per watt, just the light is cold looking.

I got mine from. EEP. Energy efficient products. They did not have as wide a range of types as Super bright or Dr led but I had already used some EEP and they are good units so stayed with them.
C lectric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2016, 11:35 PM   #15
Guru

Thanks, I will check them out!
Old 08-10-2016, 11:43 PM   #16
Guru

C lectric, do you have a link for EEP? I don't seem to find them on Google.

Keith
Old 08-11-2016, 11:26 PM   #17
Guru

City: Gibsons, B.C., Canada
Vessel Name: Island Pride
Vessel Model: Palmer 32'
Untitled Document

I tried. It says a new site coming soon. Darn, I hope they have it up and running soon as I intend to get some more this winter.

I placed three orders over two years totalling several hundreds of dollars for myself and several friends. Nary a hitch and we are all pleased with the lights to date over three years now.
C lectric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2016, 04:58 AM   #18
Guru

City: Cape May, NJ
Vessel Name: Irish Lady
Vessel Model: Monk 36
i bought a reel of white LED rope light without the tubing cover. The beginning and end of the reel have the red and black wires already soldered on. The strip has a peel-off adhesive on back. The strips are marked for were you can cut to size. Start with the beginning of the reel, measure and cut at the closest mark. Go to the end of the reel and repeat. Connect and you're done. Very easy!
here is an eample:
https://www.amazon.com/WenTop®-Flexi...rope+light+12v
1984 Monk 36 Hull #46
Currently in Cape May, NJ
High Wire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2016, 05:37 AM   #19
Guru

City: North Carolina for now
I screwed around with a variety of LEDs for our big 'ol Hatt. Cheap at first is not cheap in the long run nor easy on the eyes. I finally settled on Marinebeam for all boat LED needs, inside and out. High quality, constant current devices optimized for boat electrical systems and the marine environment. Great and knowledgeable before and after the sale service. Lot's of cool stuff for boaters including what may be the world's greatest flashlights.

Marine LED Lights for Your Boat | Marinebeam

"There's the Right Way, the Wrong Way, and what some guy says he's gotten away with"
caltexflanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2016, 06:44 AM   #20
Guru

City: Adelaide
Vessel Name: Kokanee
Vessel Model: Cuddles 30 Pilot House Motor Sailer
Yes, those 5 meter rolls of LED's are great. I lit up the engine area, the pump cupboard, my battery area, my hanging locker, - all those dark little areas where you always need a flashlight. Its been one improvement I get the most satisfaction from, especially as my dim light vision is starting to fade with age.
AusCan is offline   Reply With Quote