Old 04-19-2011, 06:04 AM   #21
City: Hailing Port: Charleston, SC
Vessel Name: Moonstruck
Vessel Model: Sabre 42 Hardtop Express
LED Anchor Light

rwidman wrote:
In my area, they don't seem to enforce the lighting regulations at all.

I suppose though, if you run into an anchored boat and are sued, you could claim that the boat you ran into had a non-certified lamp in it so you were not at fault.

*Right you are.* We are a litigious society.* The reason I had checked into it was seeing*many LED anchor light bulbs with*reduced outputs.**They didn't seem correct to me.* That started some research*just to see how they were rated.* Most aren't.* So, I looked for one that was rated for an Aqua Signal 40 series.* They weren't available in stores then.* Online was the only way to order.* I just went through it again in ordering the relocated stern light.* Yep, it had to be certified for 2 mile visibility.

I am a licensed general contractor.* There are many jurisdictions, especially in rural areas, that are lax on code*enforcement.* That does not relieve me or anyone else from conforming to the state code.* If anything goes wrong because of a code violation, you can bet that insurance investigators (can you spell S U B R O G*A T I O N)*and lawyers are coming after me.* Same thing holds true for boating accidents.* Law enforcement officials may not enforce it, but you can rest assured the courts will.

The law is about loopholes and details* Be as careful as you can.*

-- Edited by Moonstruck on Tuesday 19th of April 2011 01:12:04 PM

-- Edited by Moonstruck on Tuesday 19th of April 2011 01:36:17 PM

Moonstruck is offline   Reply With Quote