Old 03-05-2019, 01:26 AM   #41
Veteran Member

City: Santa Barbara
Vessel Name: WILSON
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 32-260
I hesitate to speak to this as a fact, but I am reasonably convinced that I could place a non-emergency DSC call to an AIS contact with my Raymarine C120 MFD talking to a Standard Horizon GX2200 AIS/GPS Radio conncected via NMEA0183. I would love to have somebody confirm that I did not imagine this.....

I mis-spoke in an earlier post about being able to do this with my Raymarine ES128 using the AIS650 and Ray60 VHF. All I have actually seen were emergency test calls on the screen of the MFD and I can not find any way to initiate a non-emergency call on the es128MFD, even with everything Raymarine and talking over the Raymarine SeatalkNG network.
dwilkieo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2019, 06:23 AM   #42
Guru

City: Vermont
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwilkieo View Post
I hesitate to speak to this as a fact, but I am reasonably convinced that I could place a non-emergency DSC call to an AIS contact with my Raymarine C120 MFD talking to a Standard Horizon GX2200 AIS/GPS Radio conncected via NMEA0183. I would love to have somebody confirm that I did not imagine this.....

I mis-spoke in an earlier post about being able to do this with my Raymarine ES128 using the AIS650 and Ray60 VHF. All I have actually seen were emergency test calls on the screen of the MFD and I can not find any way to initiate a non-emergency call on the es128MFD, even with everything Raymarine and talking over the Raymarine SeatalkNG network.

From what I saw in the 0183 DSC sentence, I think this is probably right. I'd be real interested if you are able to confirm.

From the messages, it looks like 0183 can handle distress calls as well as normal calls. But it looks like N2K's DSC PGN only covers distress calls, and that there is no providing in the N2K standard for placing and receiving normal calls with N2K control. I also found a reference to Simrad/B&G's use of proprietary PGNs for their DSC call control between MFD and their VHF. And Furuno's statement that theirs will not work with other VHFs tells me they are using proprietary PGNs too.

Now I'm interested to try DSC call control with 0183 to see how well it actually works. Sounds like it may very well work between vendors.
Old 03-05-2019, 09:44 AM   #43
Guru

City: San Diego
Vessel Name: Circuit Breaker
Vessel Model: 2021..22' Duffy Cuddy cabin
I'm about to change out an old Raymarine radio and I need to know what manufacturer makes a high quality vhf that has large numbers and clear sound. DSC is appreciated but not required as I have that on a new SH.(The numbers and letters are too small for these 78 year old eyes)

I don't want a VHF with all the bells & whistles. (I have all of that on dedicated units.) Big numbers & good clear sound are what I'm after. Any thoughts out there?
Old 03-05-2019, 10:33 AM   #44
TF Site Team

City: Jacksonville
Walt: We have an Icom IC-M506. It has more stuff than you’re asking for but it has a big display and clear sound plus the mic has a speaker in it. If I’m having a hard time hearing someone I can put the microphone (HM205B) next to my ear. It’s a nice plus.
Attached Thumbnails
DCAE51DE-1CA0-488C-A752-C3DB1A14469A.jpg  
Larry M is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2019, 10:38 AM   #45
Veteran Member

City: Santa Barbara
Vessel Name: WILSON
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 32-260
Quote:
Originally Posted by twistedtree View Post
From what I saw in the 0183 DSC sentence, I think this is probably right. I'd be real interested if you are able to confirm.
I am sorry that I can not. I sold the old C120 MFD and radio.
dwilkieo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2019, 11:19 AM   #46
Guru

City: League City, TX
Vessel Name: Pelago
Vessel Model: Wellcraft 3300 Coastal
I have an all Garmin electronics suite including VHF. It is very easy to initiate a DSC call from the plotter. I suspect the standard vs. proprietary features on this table are similar across all brands. The GPS position and any received DSC distress or position info is passed between devices on NMEA 0183 or NMEA 2000. The 'advanced' features such as initiating calls from plotters, MOB etc. are proprietary and NMEA 2000 only. Maybe the 'common' functionality is limited to the data contained in the standard NMEA sentences or PGN's, just a guess.
Attached Thumbnails
DSC Plotter Feature.JPG  
Old 03-05-2019, 12:59 PM   #47
CEC

City: SF
This is a screaming good deal! I just picked one up for my boat too good to pass up: https://www.defender.com/product3.js...355&id=5383844
CEC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2019, 10:26 AM   #48
Guru

City: San Diego
Vessel Name: Circuit Breaker
Vessel Model: 2021..22' Duffy Cuddy cabin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seevee View Post
Requirements are:
Good quality radio that's easy to see the characters.
DCS
Hailer
Don't care about GPS or AIS.... have that elsewhere.

I have the very same wants. After talking with my electronics guru, here's what we decided on. (Note I have GPS everywhere on the boat and a black box AIS transceiver!

https://www.northernmarineelectronic...CABEgLYtvD_BwE

After installation and trying it out, I'll post my review here.