Old 09-07-2013, 08:41 AM   #21
Moderator Emeritus

City: SEWARD ALASKA
Vessel Name: DOS PECES
Vessel Model: BAYLINER 4788
I have the Maxsea app for my Ipad and love it.

The charts for the entire usa, and canada were less than $100

I have great electronics on the boat, but its nice to use the ipad for route planning, fishing hole or anchorage finding, or the like.
https://maps.findmespot.com/s/XLJZ#history/assets
ksanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 11:25 AM   #22
Guru

City: Sidney BC Canada
Vessel Name: RochePoint
Vessel Model: 1985 Cheer Men PT38 Sedan
I have Nobletec Odyssey running on a Dell and Nobletec VNS running on a Toughbook. The Dell stays below hooked up to a Furuno GPS, Comnav autopilot and the SH 2150 for AIS. The Toughbook is totally portable as it has built in GPS, great for the upper helm, it can also drive the autopilot. Both laptops talk to the Ipad using Splashtop over the boats wifi, the Ipad can control the Nobletec programs remotely.

The Ipad also has 4 different nav programs of its own, the one I like the best is the Nobletec app TZ followed by the Garmin BlueChart. Sure hope that Apple comes out with a bigger screen Ipad, with the new apps coming out, I would fix mount one at the lower helm......
rochepoint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 02:01 PM   #23

City: La Conner
Vessel Name: Note by Note
Vessel Model: 34 DeFever
Toughbook and Beaglebone

The laptop I bought for the boat is a used Pansonic CF-29 Toughbook (with OpenCPN). They can be had for under $300 on eBay The advantage of the Toughbook is that you don't have to worry about breaking it, or getting it wet (with the right keyboard). It has a nice built-in handle which makes it easy to move up to the flybridge when I drive from there. Mine also had a touchscreen, which was nice (until it stopped working). It can be a little hard to see in the sun, but it's not too bad with a hood that I have that attaches with velcro to the lid. I also made the cursor large and black to make it easier to see.

If you're thinking about the Rasberry-Pi option, you might consider instead the Beaglebone Black computer. It's $35, comes pre-loaded with Linux, and has a reasonable processor and built-in HDMI. I've bought one for the boat, but intend to use it for monitoring the boat while I'm away. The thought of using it for chart plotting did cross my mind.
bobc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 06:57 PM   #24
Guru

City: Gooding ID/Wrangell AK
Vessel Name: Silver Bay
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 42-002
I tried the IPad route with Splashtop and it and Windows never seemed to like each other. I switched over to an old Android tablet that worked much better. The touch screen interface on the tablet wasn't that usable so I opted to use a Logitech Wireless trackball connected to the downstairs laptop. That worked very well and much easier to control. I also tried the second computer at the upper helm, and transferring routes from the upper to lower helm was only possible using a thumb drive. Next year I am going to run a USB cable to the upper helm and use this monitor (Lenovo ThinkVision LT1421 Portable 14 inch LCD monitor with Plastic Cover | Lenovo | (US)) slaved to the laptop at the lower helm. With a sun shade it shouldn't be any different than the Android tablet, just bigger and faster. That gives me access to the NMEA 2000 gateway and USB mux I have running on Coastal Explorer on the laptop.

Tom
tpbrady is offline   Reply With Quote