Old 01-25-2014, 06:54 AM   #101
Guru

City: Gloucester, MA
Glad CE is working well. Be sure to go through the whole sync process while on a good network connection to be sure you have the latest charts and active captain data. They have an introductory manual/document that is worth reading completely, and the tutorial videos are worth watching too. There are a variety of little treasures that you are unlikely to find on your own. I think the one complaint I have with CE is that the Help and user manual info tends to be out of date. Early on I struggled to do some very basic task and the online help said it was a menu pick, but in the newer version i was running they had made some changes and it was now a dedicated button on the screen. Obvious and convenient once you know, but difficult to find the first time without any hints.

And play around with the different view tabs. They are great for viewing supplemental data while cruising like active captain, tides and currents, routes, etc.

Old 01-27-2014, 01:13 AM   #102
Guru

City: Wilmington, NC
Vessel Name: Louisa
Vessel Model: Custom Built 38
Took CE for a couple hour ditch ride today. Too rough to go offshore. Overall, pleased with it. Still a newbie and learning the features, but satified enough to call it ready to head south in say March.

One complaint: When enabling the track function, the line is hardly visible on ditch charts. Not a big deal as I should not rely on that. But when taking a return track at night, it is nice to be able to follow the line exactly if vis is poor. If you convert a track to a route, it becomes very coarse and unusable. You can massage the route points to smooth it, but that's a lot of work. It might be that I just don't know it well enough yet. I'd like to lay a track, then later come back and follow it on return, exactly.

When I get a nice day I'll try it offshore. So far, pleased. Very stable and seamless combination of charts.

Ski in NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 12:01 PM   #103
Guru

City: Wilmington, NC
Vessel Name: Louisa
Vessel Model: Custom Built 38
Update: Found that inshore local tracks are much more visible using vector vs raster charts. Also clicking on the photo image is another neat way to follow the track line.

Still would like a way to save and store the track line without converting to a route. And a brighter track line.

Ski in NC is offline   Reply With Quote