Old 11-07-2013, 12:42 PM   #21
Guru

City: San Diego
Vessel Name: "Sandpiper"
Vessel Model: 2006 42' Ocean Alexander Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baker View Post
You don't know what you are missing, Walt!!!!....
Yes I do! My wife has one and my buddy (the rag sailor) also uses one. It's just another thing that I really don't need. My wife's HTC EVO tells me everything I would need to know if my NorthStar i6000 ever failed me. Not to mention that if I had everything that is about the size of an iPad, where would I put it all and my waterline would be much closer to the boot stripe.

My passion for improving my boat(s) exceeds my desire to constantly cruise them.
Codger2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 01:18 PM   #22

City: Bellingham, WA
Vessel Name: Our Heaven
Vessel Model: Willard 30' Searcher
I am interested where this leads, I was just getting ready to push the button to order a 740s for the FB. I already have a 4210 for the salon and would like to have somethiing for the bridge. Currently there are no other sources up there and I have been looking for something for nav. Has to be sunlight readable as I don't have a full enclosure and plan on using the bridge during the nice days. I have looked at toughbooks, screens for the 4210, etc. If it was the salon I would just use a laptop or tablet but sense the elements will be present on the FB I would like to have something more robust. In the PNW we have it all, rain, snow, sun, spray from the salt, etc...

Old 11-07-2013, 01:28 PM   #23
Guru

City: Bellingham
Vessel Name: Ebbtide
Vessel Model: '72 Grand Banks
Otterbox cover on an iPad works pretty well for us.
Old 11-07-2013, 01:38 PM   #24

City: St Louis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom.B View Post
Go check our sister site.
What is that?
Animal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 03:53 PM   #25
Guru

City: Cary, NC
Vessel Name: Skinny Dippin'
Vessel Model: Navigator 4200 Classic
Cruisers & Sailing Forums
Old 11-08-2013, 01:30 AM   #26
TF Site Team

City: League City, Tx
Vessel Model: Carver 356
Quote:
Originally Posted by bshillam View Post
I am interested where this leads, I was just getting ready to push the button to order a 740s for the FB...
I think that is a good choice. That is a feature rich unit for a very decent price. Check the The GPS Store, Inc. GPS Systems, Marine Electronics. They have them for $800.
Baker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 02:28 AM   #27

West Marine had them on sale for less than the GPS store so I purchased through them. The fixed mounted GPS won out as I also just bought the Standard Horizon GX2150 that has built in AIS which will be hooked up to the new 740. Both on the FB as well as a new GX2150 in the salon hooked up to my current 4210 Garmin. I am still working on looking into the Garmin transducer adapter so I can use the incoming information on fish finder to put onto the Garmins. I had to have sun light readable which you really don't get in the laptop/tablets. I would be interested to hear about anyone using a toughbook I believe those are the only laptops that have sunlight readable monitors.
Old 11-08-2013, 05:56 AM   #28
Guru

For those of you who need a relative cheap mostly full featured GPS it's hard to beat the Garmin 740. The only drawback is I feel the 7" screen is a little small for a radar display, but it can be connected to Garmin's digital radar scanner.

John Baker, I'll be interested in how successful you are in connecting the sensors needed to get engine parameters to display on your new Garmin.

For those of you that do their route planning on a computer and then transfer the info to your devices, Garmin's homeport software interfaces easily with Garmin devices and also integrates active captain data. I just wish the active captain data would download onto the chartplotter.

Most of the new chart plotters come with wifi installed. I think the wifi allows an easy sync between wifi enabled devices like ipad's and the chart plotter. It seems like a lot of money to pay for this convenience when the old way of just transferring the data on a SD card works pretty well. However when you can download notice to mariners data and alerts from active captain, then it will be worth something.
Just my opinion.
timjet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 12:08 PM   #29
TF Site Team

City: California Delta and SF Bay
Vessel Name: FlyWright
Vessel Model: Marshall Californian 34 LRC
Here's a free NOAA app as a backup on a tablet complete with the NOAA raster charts of your area:

MyNOAACharts

Custom Google Trawler Forum Search
FlyWright is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 12:18 PM   #30
Guru

City: Sidney BC
Vessel Name: Rochepoint
Vessel Model: 1985 Cheer Men PT38 Sedan
Garmin 740 -$749.99 today's special at WM.
"Yes, I have the right anchor"
rochepoint is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 12:45 PM   #31
TF Site Team

City: League City, Tx
Vessel Model: Carver 356
Quote:
Originally Posted by rochepoint View Post
Garmin 740 -$749.99 today's special at WM.
HAHAHA....well of course. I just bought one for $800(WM was $1k at the time). From now on, I will announce when I buy a big ticket item so y'all can hang around and wait for the price to fall and score you something good.... I will also forward you my stock purchases and sells if you're interested. Just do exactly opposite of me and I will make you rich!!!!:r ofl:
Baker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 12:46 PM   #32
Guru

City: Fort Myers
The ipad/PC/fixed mount conversation seems to be well covered, one area I believe the OP was asking about was depth reading as well, I'm not aware of any wifi/interface box that goes into an ipad or laptop, whereas most fixed mounts have that feature. Then again I could be wrong here, so if you know of something please set me straight!
Marlinmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 12:51 PM   #33

If you bought it w/I the last 30 days WM will refund the difference. I just made that call coming back to me.
Old 11-08-2013, 01:30 PM   #34
Guru

City: Inside Passage Summer/Columbia River Winter
Vessel Name: Alaskan Sea-Duction
Vessel Model: 1988 M/Y Camargue YachtFisher
Quote:
Originally Posted by timjet View Post
For those of you that do their route planning on a computer and then transfer the info to your devices, Garmin's homeport software interfaces easily with Garmin devices and also integrates active captain data. I just wish the active captain data would download onto the chartplotter.
I used a free coversion software to convert my route from S.F. to the Columbia with no issues uploading it from Active Captain to my Lowrance
Blog: http://alaskanseaduction.blogspot.com/
Alaskan Sea-Duction is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 02:07 PM   #35
Guru

City: Avalon, NJ
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlinmike View Post
The ipad/PC/fixed mount conversation seems to be well covered, one area I believe the OP was asking about was depth reading as well, I'm not aware of any wifi/interface box that goes into an ipad or laptop, whereas most fixed mounts have that feature. Then again I could be wrong here, so if you know of something please set me straight!
yachtSOFT.com 36 SounderPC

SOUNDER PC ... THE WORLD'S FIRST PC BASED
RECREATIONAL FISH FINDER / DEPTH SOUNDER.
psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 10:33 PM   #36

City: St Louis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom.B View Post
Thanks! Learn something new every day!
Animal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 10:43 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by psneeld View Post
yachtSOFT.com 36 SounderPC

SOUNDER PC ... THE WORLD'S FIRST PC BASED
RECREATIONAL FISH FINDER / DEPTH SOUNDER.
For that price I'll stick with other more tried and true options. I guess I am not willing to be the first. (or one of them)
Old 11-11-2013, 06:33 AM   #38
Guru

City: Gloucester, MA
I am still working through a full electronics fit out on a new boat where I've gone through a number of the questions you are posing. It's covered in a number of blog entries starting here Adventures of Tanglewood: December 2012. You may arrive at different decisions, but I always find it useful to see what other people decided and why.

I'll put in another plug for Rose Point's Coastal Explorer. It's really first rate - I think much better than MaxSea, as well as Nobletec which is now part of MaxSea and slowly turning into MaxSea along with all it's bugs. I run mine on a Mac Mini using VMWare Fusion to run WIndows 7 and Coastal Explorer, and MacOS to run everything else It's flawlessly reliable so far. I also hacked the Mini to run straight off 12V DC (not for the faint of heart, but it works great and draws miniscule amounts of power). That plus a 24" widescreen daylight brightness monitor and it's the best nav system I've ever had. The 24" daylight monitor (DC powered too), Mac Mini, and Coastal Explorer cost about the same as a single Furuno MFD12. Plus you can run CE on up to three computers so you can load it on your laptop for home and planning use, or just as a backup.

Regarding laptops, they have a lot of pluses, but I have found it awkward to find a good location for one, the screen is never bright enough, and I don't like all the power and data cords draped all over the place. I think some form of built-in solution with a daylight monitor is much better.

Back on the Chartplotter vs PC software question, the one big material difference I have found is Radar. All the big vendor's radar data format is proprietary and can only be displayed on their chart plotters. I don't know of any PC nav program that, on it's own, can overlay or display the radar from Furuno, Simrad, Garmin, Raymarine, etc. Coastal Explorer has support for an odd-ball vendor's radar, but not any of the big guys. MaxSea can overlay Furuno radar, but only if you also have a Furuno MFD.
twistedtree is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 06:57 AM   #39
Guru

What coversion software?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alaskan Sea-Duction View Post
I used a free coversion software to convert my route from S.F. to the Columbia with no issues uploading it from Active Captain to my Lowrance
Sea-Duction, could you please post what software you used to upload active captain data to your chart-plotter?
Homeport which is Garmin's PC nav software will upload active captain data that can be viewed on my PC, but does not upload to my Garmin chart-plotter.
timjet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 11:02 AM   #40

City: Bellingham
Vessel Name: Lindy L
Vessel Model: Seasport 24 Explorer
Quote:
Originally Posted by bshillam View Post
West Marine had them on sale for less than the GPS store so I purchased through them. The fixed mounted GPS won out as I also just bought the Standard Horizon GX2150 that has built in AIS which will be hooked up to the new 740. Both on the FB as well as a new GX2150 in the salon hooked up to my current 4210 Garmin. I am still working on looking into the Garmin transducer adapter so I can use the incoming information on fish finder to put onto the Garmins. I had to have sun light readable which you really don't get in the laptop/tablets. I would be interested to hear about anyone using a toughbook I believe those are the only laptops that have sunlight readable monitors.
And if you start looking at Panasonic Toughbooks for the daylight readable screens, you will find them to be quite expensive, starting at around $3500. We use them where I work. They have other less expensive models, but not with the extra bright screens.

WillieJ is offline   Reply With Quote