Old 12-08-2010, 02:02 PM   #21
Guru

RE: Lap top chart plotting

Woody, you are correct so start poking. The driver does create a virtual com port for the specific cable/converter you are using. Again, that is why everyone is using the pucks, since they are USB cabled and can be plugged in. With most Windows applications they will work right out of the box, but a few will need drivers for the puck but they will come with the unit. Chuck

Capn Chuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 02:43 PM   #22
Guru

City: Carefree, Arizona
Vessel Name: sunchaser V
Vessel Model: DeFever 48

The Dell laptop I ordered for a dedicated Nobeltec setup came with a serial port per my request. I then decided later to add AIS, so got the serial port USB adaptor. AIS works great with Nobeltec streaming all sorts of ship, workboat*and yacht data.

sunchaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 02:51 PM   #23
Guru

City: Whittier AK
Vessel Name: Apache II
Vessel Model: 1974 Donald Jones

Keep em coming boys. I'm learning more all the time.

Koliver,
*What year or how old is your garmin? Mine is pretty old too.

SD
skipperdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 05:04 PM   #24

City: Clyde
Vessel Name: Lucky Find III
Vessel Model: PT -Europa Style Sedan
Send a message via Yahoo to albaris

Here is how I did it:
I own a 14" Toshiba Laptop, so I use it as my*boat computer.

I then bought a legal copy of Fugawi Navigation software ($249.00).* You don't need the Navionics Card reader or any Navionics charts.

I went to Staples and bought Microsoft's Street & Trips 2010 with the GPS Locator ($39.00). All I needed was the GPS Locator, but it was cheaper to buy the packaged software. I loaded the Street & Trips software just for the heck of it.

Anyway, after loading the Fugawi on the computer, I downloaded all the charts I needed for FREE from NOAA. Plug in the GPS Locator into any USB port and your'e done.

I place the computer on the lower helm's dashboard and it receives 9 of 13 satellites just fine.

I can watch the movement of my boat through the water, the fugwai "quilts" the charts so there is no need open and close them....it does it automatically. It will do all the Waypoints, etc.

Actually I also have a Raymarine chartplotter also, but I prefer my computerized version over the Raymarine anyday!.

I tried the Open CPN also, but you can do so much more with Fugawi.

Here are the links to what you will need:

<a href="http://www.fugawi.com/web/products/fugawi_marine_enc-in.htm" title="Fugawi Marine ENC software">http://www.laptopgpsworld.com/1105-r...-streets-trips

</a><a href="http://www.fugawi.com/web/products/fugawi_marine_enc-in.htm" title="Fugawi Marine ENC software">http://www.fugawi.com/web/products/f...ine_enc-in.htm
</a>
http://www.nauticalcharts.noaa.gov/m..._agreement.htm
albaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 07:17 PM   #25
Guru

City: Saltspring Island
Vessel Name: Retreat
Vessel Model: C&L 44

SD
I'll try to remember to check, next visit to the boat.
It's one of the ones with a mono display about 4 or 5 inch, 8 sattelites, limited no of waypoints. I've had it longer than any of the other electronics on the boat, so probably got it soon after getting the boat in 94. It replaced the handheld that I got in the mid 80s, when $700 was real money.
koliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 11:23 PM   #26
Guru

City: Juneau Alaska
Vessel Name: Arctic Traveller
Vessel Model: Defever 49 RPH

Quote:
skipperdude wrote:

Well guy's and gal's.

I think my brain just crashed.**To many options.
Well, here's one more.* I'm not a Mac fan, and I want to save money when possible.* So, I purchased an inexpensive (less than $400) P.C.** It's not the smallest thing in the world but I* put it under the helm, and the monitor on the console.* It's connected to my G.P.S. by a serial / USB converter.* Since I never connect it to the Internet, or load additional software or photos, it runs as fast as the day it was new, and it's immune to viruses. So, I have a robust, reliable, dedicated plotter with a big flat screen, for about $500.* I'm not a fan of multi-tasking wheelhouse electronics.* I like the reliability of dedicated equipment.* I'm currently running Rose Point and love it.* ................Arctic Traveller
Arctic Traveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 07:26 AM   #27
Guru

City: Atlanta
Vessel Model: Bayliner 4550 Pilothouse

Artic,
If I were running a PC that is the ONLY way I'd do it too...have a dedicated machine that ALL that machine does is act as a GPS chartplotter. Otherwise, you risk it getting a virus and your computer crashing while underway. Personally, I much prefer the stability of the mac platform but that is just me. Another option would be to get one of the very small netbooks that are out there for around $400 if one does not have the helm real estate for a full PC
Woodsong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 09:26 AM   #28
Veteran Member

City: Panama City Beach, FL
Vessel Name: Parra-dise
Vessel Model: Gulfstar 44 MY

This might be another option, using an IPAD. Less money and can be carried from bridge to lower helm.

http://sailmagazine.com/boatworks/el...ad_app_review/
Baypoint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 09:53 AM   #29
TF Site Team

City: League City, Tx
Vessel Model: Carver 356
Lap top chart plotting

Quote:
Capn Chuck wrote:

Woody, your USB cable will not work, you need a dedicated USB to Serial Port cable and the drivers for your operating system, as I said in my previous post. Then the virtual serial port needs to be configured with your software. Your Garmin should have a cable available to connect to a USB to serial cable for it to work. If it did not come with the unit, and most do, you will need to get that also. A USB to serial cable can be had from Radio Shack or any computer store, but it must be compatible with your operating system. For those considering a Mac, you will limit the software available to do what you want. Chuck

-- Edited by Capn Chuck on Wednesday 8th of December 2010 11:41:36 AM

-- Edited by Capn Chuck on Wednesday 8th of December 2010 11:42:37 AM
It is called a "serial port replicator".

And I have not bought a handheld GPS in forever. *Do they now just come with a USB cord or do they still ship with a serial port cord...and if so, why haven't they "caught on" with the latest trends of computers? *Is there a technical reason why they are hanging on to serial ports? *Just curious as everybody else said, the puck manufacturers have it figured out and I sure hope the mainstream marine manufacturers have it figured out....Who knows?

-- Edited by Baker on Thursday 9th of December 2010 11:02:09 AM
Baker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 03:25 PM   #30

Lap top chart plotting

Try Tiki-navigator.com and down load a free trial. It's very user friendly and very inexpensive.
Also, take at look at the book Get Onboard with E-Charting by Mark and Diana Doyle.* It spells out everything about E-Charting and compares many available software programs.

-- Edited by Liquid Living on Thursday 9th of December 2010 04:30:33 PM
Liquid Living is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 03:41 PM   #31

City: Auckland
Vessel Name: Pioneer
Vessel Model: Westcoaster 53 converted to pleasure

We like Fugawi also. It's a low cost program which has head up capability, unlike*some other low cost options.
Here in NZ, we don't have NOAA or the equivalent free charts, so I use a Navionics Gold SD card which covers all of NZ and the Pacific Islands.
Our*ancient laptop (Gateway Pentium*2, 500) is a bit slow updating sometimes, but since we rarely travel faster than 9.2 kn, it doesn't matter.
Bendit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 08:03 PM   #32
Guru

City: Sunset Beach, NC
Vessel Name: Polly P.
Vessel Model: Monk 36

I have an update on all the USB/serial port /drivers etc questions.*

I downloaded Fugawi 10 day free trial software.* Then I plugged in my Garmin GPSMap 76Csx*via the USB cable I always use to upload/download charts/waypoints to the device.* Once I set the GPS Realtime setting to "Garmin GPS" it picked up my position.*

The point here is that I didn't need a Serial to USB converter cable, or any special drivers, nothing.* I literally downloaded the software, plugged in the GPS via USB cable and I now get live GPS info on my laptop.

Bluecharts charges hundreds of $$ for their electronic charts, now I will never buy another one, and I will have a 17" display to boot.** This is great!
Egregious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 09:40 PM   #33
Guru

City: Atlanta
Vessel Model: Bayliner 4550 Pilothouse

Woody,
As more and more people realize the capacity and reliability of laptop chartplotting ad GPS, they will be buying less and less of the dedicated chartplotters. I was going to buy one for our Monk but seriously....for a couple hundred dollars, if not less, one can get a BIG screen GPS via their laptop! Since you've got a Monk 36 like me you should do what I'm doing...hard wire a monitor cable up to the bridge and use a rocket launcher mount to mount a flatscreen up on the bridge! If you do that and combine it with a wireless mouse like I am doing (no problems getting a signal to laptop from bridge via the wireless mouse) you can control the laptop from the bridge, have the same flatscreen display capacity, and be able to keep your laptop inside and protected from the weather the entire time. I almost spent thousands on dedicated chartplotters but now....NO THANKS!
Woodsong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 09:57 PM   #34
Guru

City: Sunset Beach, NC
Vessel Name: Polly P.
Vessel Model: Monk 36

I already use a wireless mouse (bluetooth).* Please fill me in on the "rocketlauncher" mount.* Is that just a hot-shoe for a flat screen monitor?
Egregious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2010, 07:46 AM   #35
Guru

Lap top chart plotting

Quote:
Egregious wrote:

I have an update on all the USB/serial port /drivers etc questions.*

I downloaded Fugawi 10 day free trial software.* Then I plugged in my Garmin GPSMap 76Csx*via the USB cable I always use to upload/download charts/waypoints to the device.* Once I set the GPS Realtime setting to "Garmin GPS" it picked up my position.*

The point here is that I didn't need a Serial to USB converter cable, or any special drivers, nothing.* I literally downloaded the software, plugged in the GPS via USB cable and I now get live GPS info on my laptop.

Bluecharts charges hundreds of $$ for their electronic charts, now I will never buy another one, and I will have a 17" display to boot.** This is great!
Woody, There are many of the newer GPS models such as Garmin that come with a USB cable and will work as you describe. That is why many recommend the pucks. But none of the older models will work with a straight USB cable, and many of the newer still will not, so one has to look at their specific unit. Chuck

-- Edited by Capn Chuck on Saturday 11th of December 2010 08:46:41 AM

Capn Chuck is offline   Reply With Quote