KVH 1000 heading sensor mounting.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Vessel Name
Northern Lights II
Vessel Make
Bayliner 3870
Can this be mounted close to a transducer, how close?

That's a great question. Maybe contact Airmar about that specific transducer. I have always found them to be very helpful.

If neither can give you a satisfactory answer then you might try this:

1. First, use a hand bearing compass to initially determine how much magnetic disturbance is created by the transducer when it is in operation. When you reach a distance where it no longer affects the compass, you should be safe. Maybe add a bit more just to be on the safe side. I believe the KVH installation manual recommends 3' from another compass.

2. Then, temporarily locate the compass where you want to install it and turn it on. Observe the indicated direction and then energize the transducer. If nothing changes, this should be a safe permanent location.

Thanks Larry I like the hand compass idea, I've tried to call KVH but they are closed down because of the snow back east.

I mounted mine on the Dash a little over three feet from magnetic compass. Wiper motors and such were maybe a little closer as was my LCD screen form my Furuno Navnet. no problems after compensating with I believe two or three slow 360 degree turns. I used this as my heading compass for the Navnet.

I'am adding it to overlay radar on the cp590 at my lower helm.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom