Old 01-25-2012, 06:20 AM   #1

Kindle and other pads

Just received a Kindle Fire, and have heard other captains say they*can*be used as a chartplotter.* Any one here have experience with this?

Thanks-John High C's

jchicola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 11:43 AM   #2

RE: Kindle and other pads

My wife wants a tablet so I will watch this with interest. The Kindle Fire I believe is in color. Does it have the GPS chip in it so it can receive the sats signals? Anyone else using any tablet for navigation or navigation back up? I need one that doesn't rely on the cell towers to work. Must be able to receive the sats and than I can buy an apps like Navionics to use. My point, if I am going to spend the bucks for a tablet for my wife would like to get one that is sat. capabile as well. The salespeople in the box stores don't seem to have a clue as to that capability in their tablets.

Fighterpilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 01:24 PM   #3
Guru

City: Vallejo, California
Vessel Name: Mahalo Moi
Vessel Model: 1986 Grand Banks 42 Classic

I have been using an iPad (with GPS) for a couple of years.* I loaded Navionics US West, iNavX, AyeTides, BuoyData, ShipFinder, and a handfull of other apps.* Works great.* I use ShipFinder and AyeTides all the time.* Navionics and iNavX can be used for trip planning and as backup.* Also, I can "work" while on the water; email, letters and reports, etc.
Giggitoni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 03:33 PM   #4
Scraping Paint

City: -

Quote:
Fighterpilot wrote:
My wife wants a tablet so I will watch this with interest.
Tell her to wait.* The iPad 3 is coming out supposedly in March.* From what I have read it will represent a*not-insignificant improvement over the iPad 2 although I have not seen anything definitive from Apple.

I just finished directing a shoot this morning on a project integrating iPads into flight decks and the guys said they were really looking forward to the iPad 3.* Don't know what their sources of information are but I get the impression that the 3 is worth waiting for if you can, which is what I'm doing.
Marin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 04:02 PM   #5
Guru

Marin, I've heard the same rumors regarding iPad 3.* I have iPad 1 so am looking forward to the "double" upgrade.* Our new TF owner, Andy, has stated that he wants to create a TF app for both the iPhone and iPad.* That would be welcome!*
Old 01-25-2012, 04:48 PM   #6
TF Site Team

City: California Delta and SF Bay
Vessel Name: FlyWright
Vessel Model: Marshall Californian 34 LRC

Ray,* tell us more about shipfinder.* I've been using marinetraffic.com on my droid, but it's sometimes clumsy.** Does it provide a clear presentation of oncoming AIS traffic?* Not that I can't just drop the $3.99 and find out myself, but I'd like to hear your impressions on it before I invest that much money. ;-)

John, don't know much about the kindle, but if you're a fellow driod user, take a look at the Samsung Galaxy 10.1.* It's got real GPS.*

If you're an Apple fan, then it's tough to beat the iPad2 Wi-Fi+3G.
FlyWright is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 05:37 PM   #7
Guru

Hi, Al.* ShipFinder shows all AIS traffic (as long as the darn things are turned on) anywhere in the world.* The targets are color coded to correspond with the type of traffic; container, tankers, military, pleasure, etc.* By clicking (touching) on a particular vessel, one can determine Name, MMSI number, IMO number, Callsign, vessel destination, ETA, last update, speed, course, length, width, draft, status, and location (lon/lat).* If provided, we can view several photos of the vessel.* I like the app because I can take a look before pulling out and know where the ships and ferrys are located way before I see them on radar.

We can also view the track the vessel has followed for about the previous 40 miles, or so.* The app allows us to create defined regions which interest us.* For example I can look at the "Pacific Coast" between San Diego and San Francisco.* Or I can define a region as "San Francisco Bay Area" or zoom in to a region that I call "Central Bay" and look at SF water front...and so on.* Good app!* No "piece of the action" for me, just like the app.

Old 01-25-2012, 05:46 PM   #8
TF Site Team

Thanks, Ray.* I appreciate that.* I'll give it a try.
Old 01-25-2012, 09:26 PM   #9

Does the Samsung have to be a certain model, like 3G or do all of the Samsungs have the GPS chip?
Old 01-25-2012, 09:30 PM   #10
TF Site Team

Kindle and other pads

Quote:
Fighterpilot wrote:
Does the Samsung have to be a certain model, like 3G or do all of the Samsungs have the GPS chip?
*Samsung Galaxy 10.1 Spacs

The Samsung costs less than the iPad, but has fewer accessories.

-- Edited by FlyWright on Wednesday 25th of January 2012 10:31:31 PM
Old 01-26-2012, 06:24 AM   #11

By fewer accessories do you mean application or apps for it? I thought it had better features such as a usb connection. Thus far the big box stores haven't been able to address the Sat chip for me regarding any of their non Apple tablets. That is Sam's, Walmart, Office Max, and Office Depot. Haven't tried Staples yet. Thanks, was hopeing some one was using a non Apple tablet for navigation or navigation back up.
Old 01-26-2012, 07:21 AM   #12

thanks for checking....looks like we hit a hot button with the pads....JC
jchicola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 10:04 AM   #13
TF Site Team

Quote:
Fighterpilot wrote:
By fewer accessories do you mean application or apps for it? I thought it had better features such as a usb connection. Thus far the big box stores haven't been able to address the Sat chip for me regarding any of their non Apple tablets. That is Sam's, Walmart, Office Max, and Office Depot. Haven't tried Staples yet. Thanks, was hopeing some one was using a non Apple tablet for navigation or navigation back up.
There are a huge number of apps for the droid market.* By accessories, I mean items like after market cases, mounts, etc.* If you want to know the specs of any item, just google it and go to the manufacturer's website.* It's all there with little effort.
Old 01-26-2012, 11:39 AM   #14
Guru

City: Everett Wa
Vessel Name: Eagle
Vessel Model: Roughwater 58 pilot house

We have a Samsung that we got at Verizon to replace the Wifi air card as the Samsumg can also be a hot spot, and I been using it as an E reader and*brouse the Web.* The Samsung run all the Droid applications.* Cost 150 bucks with a 2 year contract at 49 bucks a month.*I like the*Samsung as its about the same size as a Kindle/Nook as the Ipad is to big.***

I have not looked into applications as we have two person PC on the boat and we use the Samsung mostly as a 3G hot spot.*

Phil Fill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 12:14 PM   #15
Scraping Paint

Quote:
Phil Fill wrote:
I like the*Samsung as its about the same size as a Kindle/Nook as the Ipad is to big.***

It is rumored that the iPad will be available in two sizes, the current one and a smaller one.* We'll see.......
Old 01-26-2012, 04:05 PM   #16
Guru

I'll order the larger iPad should they be offered in two sizes (current size and smaller).* I already have an iPhone...
Old 01-26-2012, 05:27 PM   #17
Scraping Paint

Yes, for what I would be doing with it--- and definitely what airlines and maintenance departments are doing with it--- the current size is much more user-friendly than a smaller size would be.
Old 01-26-2012, 05:27 PM   #18
TF Site Team

City: League City, Tx
Vessel Model: Carver 356

I would be weary of tablets with GPS and no 3g connections. I have one. It is the ASUS Transformer Prime. Quad core the whole bit. It even had a keyboard dock that basically turns it into and "Ultra Slim" netbook. Anyway, the GPS has been a boondoggle since the back of the tablet is a snazzy spun aluminum. It just can't get a reliable lock. If you will notice, any iPad that does NOT have 3g also does NOT have GPS. Apple makes sure **** works and they have come to the conclusion that GPS does not work well without 3g assistance. I would assume the Radios in our chartplotters are just better radios that can exist on their own. That or Apple is sacrificing function over form because they want to have the aluminum backing. With all this said, I have no clue how well the non-3g Sammy Galaxy Tab works. I do know it has a plastic backing material. What attracted me to the ASUS was the screen brightness...allegedly the brightest screen in the market...400 NITS I believe. Anyway, I can actually get around all this by tethering my phone to the ASUS and then it shares GPS info with the tablet. I would assume there is an app for the iPad that could do the same although I do not know. It works very well actually and you can just leave your phone in your pocket.

To the original poster, I would assume that the Kindle Fire does not have GPS since it is such a basic tablet. Maybe you could hack it(since I believe the Fire only allows Kindle/Amazon proprietary apps on it) and then use your phone's GPS position info. But you would have to be a fairly advanced user to do all of that.
Baker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 08:04 PM   #19
Scraping Paint

Quote:
Baker wrote:
That or Apple is sacrificing function over form because they want to have the aluminum backing.
One of the rumors about the iPad 3 that is based on the materials the company has been ordering lately is that it will have a composite case.
Old 01-26-2012, 08:55 PM   #20
TF Site Team

City: League City, Tx
Vessel Model: Carver 356

I would still be surprised if they released a wifi only tablet with GPS.

Baker is offline   Reply With Quote