Old 02-02-2012, 05:11 PM   #41
TF Site Team

City: League City, Tx
Vessel Model: Carver 356
RE: Kindle and other pads

Quote:
rochepoint wrote:
If you have a 3G Ipad you don't need a data plan for the GPS to work or another receiver. It works with AGPS.
*aGPS is assisted GPS using the cell towers and wifi. *So you are saying that the 3G radio is still functioning to assist the GPS even though technically you are not using 3G???

This is interesting!!!

Baker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 05:48 PM   #42
Guru

City: Sidney BC
Vessel Name: Rochepoint
Vessel Model: 1985 Cheer Men PT38 Sedan
Kindle and other pads

Thats what I was told and my Ipad 2 3g/64gb works, I have not subscribed to a cell service (it has no sim card installed) and there is no wifi out where we boat. It works.......the following is a copy and paste from the the "IOS 5: Understanding location services" on the Apple site*http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4995

GPS accuracy varies depending on the number of visible GPS satellites. Locating all visible satellites can take several minutes, with accuracy gradually increasing over time. Use these tips to improve GPS accuracy:

Maintain a clear view of the horizon in several directions. Keep in mind that walls, vehicle roofs, tall buildings, mountains, and other obstructions can block line of sight to GPS satellites. When this occurs, your device will automatically use Wi-Fi or cellular networks to determine your position, until the GPS satellites are visible again.

-- Edited by rochepoint on Thursday 2nd of February 2012 07:00:23 PM

rochepoint is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 06:42 AM   #43

Good job Rochepoint. Finally some one found and posted the word from the source. Thanks
Fighterpilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 05:29 PM   #44
Guru

Raymond
So how are you enjoying the Ipad?
Old 02-04-2012, 06:18 AM   #45

Learning process is slow for an old guy. A good book on using the Ipad is needed. I have Navionics loaded on it and slowly looking thru the apps for others of interest. Got to figure how to maximize the battery life. I understand when "turned off", not really turned off. Ran the battery out with the carrying case closed on it. Appreciate all the advice and discussion.
Old 02-04-2012, 09:43 AM   #46
Guru

Go to the IBook App and search for Ipad 2, you can download quite a few free books on IPad 2 operation. If you close off the programs after use the battery will stay up for a week in sleep mode. To turn of programs not being used, push the button twice fast an a new task bar opens at the bottom of the screen showing all that is open, hold your finger down on one of the icons till the all flash/shake and show an red minus sign in the top left corner of the icon, touch the minus sign on each icon and it will close that program. The other thing is to just turn it off using the sleep/wake button on the side then slide the power off on the screen. don't forget to download Jeffrey Siegel's (thanks) "Drag Queen" anchoring app it is free and works great.
Old 02-04-2012, 12:43 PM   #47

Thanks for the guidance. All the apps were on and running in the background I guess. I have found and downloaded dragqueen.
Old 02-16-2012, 11:43 PM   #48

City: South Puget Sound, WA

Quote:
Marin wrote:Now in the case of the Kindle, if you get the wi-fi/3G model, which is what we have, the 3G is free throughout the whole world.* I have downloaded books in a hotel room*in a remote city in China with no problems or no delay and at no cost.
BUT...... the free*3G in the Kindle only does one thing--- it connects you to the Amazon's bookstore.* That's it.

I strongly suggest you pay the extra fifty bucks or whatever it is now to get the Kindle that has 3G in addition to wi-fi.* The reason is that the Amazon*3G is free, and you can download books and whatnot anywhere on the planet where*you have a 3G signal.* Which these days is damn near anywhere you are likely to be.*

-- Edited by Marin on Friday 27th of January 2012 07:02:47 PM

I bought the wife a Kindle 3g for Christmas and I agree with everything Marin says here except, the Kindle 3g will surf the web on 3g and at no cost or contract.* If you go to the menu and click on experimental a webbrowser option comes up.*I've accessed*Yachtworld.com while cruising down I-5 (admiral at the wheel)* I suppose if it gets much traffic Kindle will shut that down. But for now its free mobile internet access.

Budds Outlet is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 12:17 AM   #49
Scraping Paint

City: -
Kindle and other pads

Quote:
Budds Outlet wrote:
If you go to the menu and click on experimental a webbrowser option comes up.
Good to know. I've never bothered to select experimental since at the time we bought ours there supposedly wasn't anything there: it was for "future options."* I guess they got around to creating one.

-- Edited by Marin on Friday 17th of February 2012 01:17:12 AM
Marin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 04:11 PM   #50

City: Spartanburg, SC
Vessel Name: Big Duck
Vessel Model: '72 Land-N-Sea

Wife has a black and white Kindle WiFi and 3G. Internet is miserably slow.

She wanted a Kindle Fire for color, but it has no camera or GPS. Since she has a Sprint Android phone we downloaded it's kindle program...works great but small screen.

Killed all birds with one tablet. Sprint EVO View - Android Tablet. Navionics marine nav without data connection. No charge to move Kindle books between devices. No retraining the wife cause it's just like her phone. And to add a device with unlimited data to our existing plan is $10/mo.
jeffnick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 08:57 PM   #51

City: League City, TX
Vessel Name: Blue Seaduction
Vessel Model: Mainship Pilot
Kindle and other pads

The iPad 3G data plan is a monthly re-newable contract.* No long term contract required.* The plan is about $25 a month or 20GB, whichever comes first.* I rarely spend more than the $25/month.

I do use the iPad as a backup chart-plotter and a music center simultaneously; and, I really wish I could use it more.* My ultimate goal would be to use it as a*poor-mans MFD for all shipboard systems*information.

I would appreciate any info on other apps that I could use to reach my goal.

-- Edited by jdt404 on Sunday 26th of February 2012 09:58:37 PM

jdt404 is offline   Reply With Quote