Old 01-26-2012, 10:03 PM   #21
Guru

City: Carefree, Arizona
Vessel Name: sunchaser V
Vessel Model: DeFever 48
RE: Kindle and other pads

But the question is will the tablets work as plotters when not in cell or tower range and you are out in the boondocks? Playing with maps and charts is*one thing, real time chart plotting as your vessel moves around "offshore' another.

sunchaser is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 12:01 AM   #22
Veteran Member

City: Florence, Alabama
Vessel Name: Annie
Vessel Model: Homemade 53

I just bought my first iPad. Loaded shipfinder on it but apple doesn't like Adobe Flash player and I can't get it to work! What do I do?

Whistledoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 03:17 AM   #23
TF Site Team

City: Brisbane
Vessel Name: Lotus
Vessel Model: Clipper (CHB) 34 Sedan/Europa style
Send a message via Skype™ to Peter B

If you are looking to open a website to download a navigation program my son, (very IT savvy - doing PhD), says you would need 'Navionics Marine' or equivalent. Adobe Flash player not relevant here.
Peter B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 06:20 AM   #24

Sunchaser's question is dead on for a back up chartplotter. Since I am going to buy my wife a tablet I would be willing to spend a little more money to get a back up chartplotter. We have 3 GPS systems on the boat but for a few dollars more I might as well have 4. Looking at the specs gives some insight as to capability but the revelation that the aluminum back on the tablet was causing some GPS problems was the first I had heard of that. Comments from real time users of the various tablets is most helpful.
Fighterpilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 07:37 AM   #25
TF Site Team

City: League City, Tx
Vessel Model: Carver 356
Kindle and other pads

Quote:
Whistledoc wrote:
I just bought my first iPad. Loaded shipfinder on it but apple doesn't like Adobe Flash player and I can't get it to work! What do I do?
**If it is an Apple app from the App Store then it should have already passed muster and should work fine. *Nobody would build(nor would Apple approve) an app for iPad/Phone with flash in it.

If it is just a website you are trying to look at that is flash based, then you are out of Luck...but I do know for a fact, there is an app for that!!!!

http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/ship-...364616485?mt=8*

-- Edited by Baker on Friday 27th of January 2012 08:59:02 AM

-- Edited by Baker on Friday 27th of January 2012 09:00:08 AM
Baker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 07:50 AM   #26
TF Site Team

City: League City, Tx
Vessel Model: Carver 356
Kindle and other pads

Quote:
Fighterpilot wrote:
Sunchaser's question is dead on for a back up chartplotter. Since I am going to buy my wife a tablet I would be willing to spend a little more money to get a back up chartplotter. We have 3 GPS systems on the boat but for a few dollars more I might as well have 4. Looking at the specs gives some insight as to capability but the revelation that the aluminum back on the tablet was causing some GPS problems was the first I had heard of that. Comments from real time users of the various tablets is most helpful.
Sunchaser's question might have "some" relevance, but not much. *If you are relying entirely on a tablet for navigation then you may want to rethink your choice of electronics. *If you are using it as a FOURTH backup chartplotter, then you are having a VERY bad day if you get all the way down to it. *A tablet as it relates to navigation on your boat is a novelty. *Is it accurate...yes, for the most part.

*Download Navionics on your phone and it works perfectly. *You can use it on your tablet as well. *I would research the net for what you are looking for. *I would HIGHLY caution you not to choose one based SOLELY on it's ability to be a chartplotter....since you already have 3 on board...and you likely spend more time on your couch than on your boat(my point being you will use it for something else 99% of the time). *

I do have a close friend that uses his iPad1 as a chartplotter and it works very well. *But realize the 3G models cost more to buy and then you have to maintain a monthly payment around $45 a month.....$500 a year and likely have to sign a multi year contract. *That is an expensive back up FOURTH chartplotter. *Sorry, don't mean to bring logic or sense into this....I know they don't really matter since Tablets are "emotional" purchases. *What is cool is he streams his music straight from the iPad so you have all your music and it's controls right there on your "chartplotter"....and he even has a really neat mount that puts it right in his face while driving....."Shipfinder"...same thing. *So as you can see, there is some neat stuff you can do with it.....but still, arguably, a novelty.

-- Edited by Baker on Friday 27th of January 2012 08:56:27 AM
Baker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 07:56 AM   #27
Guru

City: San Diego
Vessel Name: "Sandpiper"
Vessel Model: 2006 42' Ocean Alexander Sedan

Quote:
Baker wrote:
*Download Navionics on your phone and it works perfectly.

__________________________________________________ _____

It's soo easy!
Codger2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 08:57 AM   #28
Guru

City: Everett Wa
Vessel Name: Eagle
Vessel Model: Roughwater 58 pilot house

The boats portable PC died, so last night we bought a portable Samsung as many PC are not compatible with the Samsung Galaxy note pad used as a hot spot.* Anyway the Samsung operates under the Droid applications, 200,000+ applications, and there are 3 marine chart programs.* How ever we will stay with the Navtech on the PC as it is not dependant on Verizon cell coverage.*
Phil Fill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 11:22 AM   #29
Guru

City: Vallejo, California
Vessel Name: Mahalo Moi
Vessel Model: 1986 Grand Banks 42 Classic
Kindle and other pads

Whistledoc, on your iPad, download Ship Finder HD*from the "App Store".* It was designed by Pinkfroot Limited.* The current version is 2.53.* Ignor Shipfinder.com.

-- Edited by Giggitoni on Friday 27th of January 2012 12:23:15 PM
Giggitoni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 03:24 PM   #30

Kindle and other pads

Didn't realize one had to subscribe to something to use the GPS function on the Apple. That would eliminate the Apple for consideration. Do you also have to subscribe to something to use it in the house if you have wi-fi? I thought GPS chip with something like Navionics software would function with out subscribing to any thing. Am I wrong? Not going to use it as phone, but realize to down load books thru wi-fi would have to pay someone, but didn't think one had to pay anyone to use the GPS function with the proper software. Interesting.

Phone I have is old cell phone with Verizon. $14.00 a month on my daughters plan. Can't use it in lieu of a tablet unless I upgrade. Sounds as if I might just as well buy my wife a kindle and be done with it, although she has seen her daughters IPad and thinks she ought to have one hence my quest to learn more about the capabilites of the tablets. I will have to see if any of Android ones requre subscriptions to use the GPS capability.* Thanks for the information regarding Apple.

-- Edited by Fighterpilot on Friday 27th of January 2012 04:31:21 PM
Old 01-27-2012, 05:58 PM   #31
Scraping Paint

City: -
Kindle and other pads

Quote:
Fighterpilot wrote:
Didn't realize one had to subscribe to something to use the GPS function on the Apple. That would eliminate the Apple for consideration. Do you also have to subscribe to something to use it in the house if you have wi-fi?
*It is my understanding--- and I may well be mistaken--- that wi-fi is free but 3G is not in most cases.* If you have a wireless router in your house, an iPad, Kindle, etc. will connect up to it just fine, no charge.* Not so 3G.* Accessing 3G requires a contract, if you will, from your phone company or the 3G provider and you have to pay for it.

My wife has had a Blackberry Storm 2 for a couple of years (RIM's answer to the iPhone at the time).* When she got it she wanted to add GPS navigation (vehicle) to the capabilities of the phone through an app called VZ Navigator.* VZ Navigator was free- it came already loaded on the phone.* But in order to use it she had to add GPS navigation capabilities to her phone contract (Verizon) and it is x-amount per month extra.* This allows her to use not only VZ Navigator but a whole host of other apps like Blackberry Traffic and other apps to find stores and gas stations and whatever in relation to her location.

Now in the case of the Kindle, if you get the wi-fi/3G model, which is what we have, the 3G is free throughout the whole world.* I have downloaded books in a hotel room*in a remote city in China with no problems or no delay and at no cost.

BUT...... the free*3G in the Kindle only does one thing--- it connects you to the Amazon's bookstore.* That's it.

BTW, for anyone contemplating the acquisition of a Kindle--- and I'm talking about the e-reader, not the Fire which is Kindle's poor-man's iPad--- I strongly suggest you pay the extra fifty bucks or whatever it is now to get the Kindle that has 3G in addition to wi-fi.* The reason is that the Amazon*3G is free, and you can download books and whatnot anywhere on the planet where*you have a 3G signal.* Which these days is damn near anywhere you are likely to be.*

With the wi-fi only model, if you're on the road and want to download a book you*have to find somewhere that has a wi-fi signal like a Starbucks or whatever.

-- Edited by Marin on Friday 27th of January 2012 07:02:47 PM
Marin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 07:06 PM   #32
Guru

City: Sidney BC
Vessel Name: Rochepoint
Vessel Model: 1985 Cheer Men PT38 Sedan

The Ipad 2 3G is the one to use for navigation as it has the AGPS chip in it but it does not require the 3G to be activated. Mine does not even have the sim card for a telephone provider in it but all the nav and mapping programs work. If you install the free Drag Queen Anchoring app by Jeffrey Siegelit (thanks) it tells you what your GPS accuracy is, usually between 15 to 30 feet. I love the Ipad as a backup, but it is good.
rochepoint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 01:02 PM   #33

Rochepoint, glad to hear you can use GPS without activating some phone company. If I understand your post than you can use it for navigation without any monthly fee of any kind. Can one also use it with wi-fi without any activation, but only pay for the program you access if it isn't free. In, other words, can you load an use free apps thru your house wi-fi system without activating the 3G capability? Should be able to since 3g is third generation phone system and if you don't use it still should be able to wi-fi. Right?

If one has wi-fi does one have to activate a phone system to download books. Can one do that thru wi-fi by paying the provider of the books for books acquired? Just that, no monthly fee?

Now, how about the "other" tablets. The android type tablets. Anyone with actual experience in using them out of tower and wi-fi range for navigation such as out in the middle of the Gulf. I continue seek information from the people that sell them but they don't have a clue as to what I am talking about. I looked at the specs on a couple of the tablets but not clear if they have a GPS chip or not. Talked to Sears, Staples, and Sams again today. No luck in furthering my knowledge regarding GPS use or not.

May have to go with apple. If my wife can download books thru our wi-fi system and I can navigate in the Gulf with GPS, AND not have to activate or sign monthly contract than might go with 16GB, wi-fi-3g apple. Unless someone comes up with a good android example. Thanks
Old 01-28-2012, 02:00 PM   #34
Guru

Kindle and other pads

Quote:
Fighterpilot wrote:
Rochepoint, glad to hear you can use GPS without activating some phone company. If I understand your post than you can use it for navigation without any monthly fee of any kind. Can one also use it with wi-fi without any activation, but only pay for the program you access if it isn't free. In, other words, can you load an use free apps thru your house wi-fi system without activating the 3G capability? Should be able to since 3g is third generation phone system and if you don't use it still should be able to wi-fi. Right?

All I have to use the Ipad 2 is the wi-fi. Here is a screen shot of the Ipad 2 on a footstool in our livingroom running Navionics with the wi-fi turned off, so no connection of any type just AGPS. With wi-fi you can access everything the internet has to offer. The red triangle on the chart in its position and Drag Queen says the GPS accuracy is 16.4 feet. Books, Movie, magazines, camera, email, surfing, boat log - etc. Anything you could want (or I want). Navionic also allow the Ipad to take photos and imbed them into to chart as an icon, click on it and you have the photo full screen, a great reminder of what that area was. I can also use it to be a repeater display for my Nobeltec program running at the lower helm using Splashtop as the boat has a long range wi-fi access point that can be shared by any wi-fi device onboard. Good to have toys, like my friend says "He with the most toys when he dies......wins".

Oops.....sorry about the photo orientation!*

-- Edited by rochepoint on Saturday 28th of January 2012 03:01:35 PM

-- Edited by rochepoint on Saturday 28th of January 2012 04:31:37 PM
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ipad 2.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	117.9 KB
ID:	9778   Click image for larger version

Name:	apps1.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	109.6 KB
ID:	9779   Click image for larger version

Name:	apps.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	131.9 KB
ID:	9780  
Old 01-28-2012, 05:58 PM   #35

Kindle and other pads

Great information. What size storage do you have? 16, 32 or 64GB. If you have all yours on 16GB that gives me a good idea as to what I would need. Thanks

-- Edited by Fighterpilot on Saturday 28th of January 2012 06:59:56 PM
Old 01-28-2012, 06:43 PM   #36
Guru

Went crazy and got the 64GB, but I have already used 12GB of storage.
Old 01-28-2012, 07:36 PM   #37

Thanks, trying to see if I can get by with 16GB. My wife will download books and I will put some marine programs on it. Might just pay up and get the 32GB system to be safe.
Old 01-30-2012, 08:11 AM   #38

Wife looked at grand daughters Kindle and said too small, so bit the bullet and bought a Ipad 2, wi-fi, 32GB yesterday. Have Navionics on it, but haven't checked it out to see how many sats. it can see here at the house. Guess one has to buy an apps to display that. Is that correct? Maybe it was just using wi-fi to determine location, which it showed. Have not activated phone, which is AT&T since sold at a*military installation and that service is world wide for the troops.

Thanks for all the information in the previous posts. FP

"When you are out of F8s you are out of gunfighters".

Old 01-30-2012, 10:39 AM   #39
Guru

If you have the iPad without the 3G, you can buy a separate GPS receiver for about $100. This receiver sends the GPS signal to the iPad by bluetooth and voila, you have another chartplotter on your boat without any expensive 3G data plan.

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Dual-XGPS150-...item19ccf5236a
Fotoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 05:49 PM   #40
Guru

If you have a 3G Ipad you don't need a data plan for the GPS to work or another receiver. It works with AGPS.