JVCOMM SSB help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sealife

Guru
Vessel Name
Sea life
Vessel Make
Krogen 42 #61
I have an ICOM IC-M700, w/ external speaker jack plugged into microphone jack on laptop running windows 7. I have or think I have all the settings in jvcomm program set correctly. Picture is just static. Although I hear all static with a faint computerized sound in background. The white black spectrum meter seems to confirm this. I receive voice broadcast OK, a little static depending.

Any thoughts? Besides buy a new radio, sat phone, etc. :)

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    197.2 KB · Views: 96
If I understand it, you are trying to display NAVTEX weather fax on your computer. I couldn't find much on the JVComm software, but I believe that what is missing is the hardware or software equivalent of a modem to decode the analog fax transmission and hand it off to JVComm for processing and display. That is normally done in a NAVTEX receiver. I am not sure if the ICOM radio has that capability.

I was playing around with an app on an IPhone that would decode the NAVTEX signal and display it, by simply holding the microphone on the IPhone up the speaker on the receiver. I wasn't close enough to a transmitting station for it to work.

Tom

If you can't hear the signal for the weather fax, JVCom can't use it. You probably have too much stray RF either from ambient sources or background noise on the boat. The ICW is tough for SSB coverage with all the cell towers, airports, etc. Don't ditch the radio yet.

Tom,

JVComm is the program that "interpretes" the input to the computer's sound card and translates it to the picture. Basically it's software that mimics a modem. The ICOM 700 can't attach to a modem. I think the issue is the static, but I can get voice transmissions without the static, which makes me wonder how much of the issue is pc vs. ssb.

Still working on it, but hate to head out to the wild blue yonder with out a proven source of wx info and hope I can get it working later!

Back
Top Bottom