iPad Pro

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Gbinterim

Vessel Name
Interim
Vessel Make
Grand Banks 36
Has anyone purchased an IPad Pro and loaded navigation software on it?

It should be the same as the iPad Air or Air 2 except with a larger display.

Plan to buy an iPad Pro but will probably wait until March or April before I buy. Have a Survivor case on my iPad Air. Understand Survivor cases for the Pro will be available in January. Whether I buy the new iPad Pencil is still up in the air but I suspect I will pass on that item.

For those of you who purchased the IPad Pro and navigation software, what are your impressions so far? Gaston you responded that you have one, spill the beans!

Last edited:
For those of you who purchased the IPad Pro and navigation software, what are your impressions so far? Gaston you responded that you have one, spill the beans!

No beans to spill the iPad Pro is just the same as standard iPad but bigger so it easier for my old eyes ;)

I am also gonna wait until early next year to purchase the Pro.
I'm planning on the largest memory model, and I suspect that in order to get the GPS (for nav programs) it will need to have internal internet service, is that correct? My IPAD 2 I'm pretty sure the gps will work on wifi but maybe not, it still works fine, but bigger screen is better for me.

I'm planning on the largest memory model, and I suspect that in order to get the GPS (for nav programs) it will need to have internal internet service, is that correct? My IPAD 2 I'm pretty sure the gps will work on wifi but maybe not, it still works fine, but bigger screen is better for me.

Why wait ? the iPad pro has GPS so no need for internet and if you buy it now you get to use it for longer time unless you plan to never die :D

Don't you have to buy Wi-Fi from AT&T or equilivant? I have an i-pad air w Navamatics that will display charts w/o Wi-Fi wherever I am but do'nt know anything about software. I'd need to buy another one as I always use my Navamatics for long range chartplotting or surfing for anchorages to keep my Garmin chartplotter on short range so I dont run up on the rocks. Don't want to loose that.

I have the Pro with Bluecharts and iSailor installed. Good so far. I have the wifi/cellular model. As with all previous iPads you need the cellular model to get the internal GPS, but you do not need a plan from cell provider for the gps to work with your charts.

I love the size of the pro, it's also the fastest iPad to date. YMMV

Why wait ? the iPad pro has GPS so no need for internet and if you buy it now you get to use it for longer time unless you plan to never die :D

Cuz Santa might bring me one for Xmas, LOL!

If the new iPad is like the older ones, if you want to be able to use GPS with no connectivity whatsoever you have to buy the wifi/digital model. You don't need a digital account (AT&T, etc) but the only iPads that have stand alone GPS/GLONAS recieving capability are the wifi/digital models. The wifi-only models do not have the stand-alone GPS/GLONAS receiver and so need wifi connectivity in order to show and track the iPad's position.

That's why I'm able to use my wifi/digital iPad II to show me where I am and track me in the middle of China or the Middle East or anywhere on the planet with no connectivity whatsoever. Also why we can use the excellent charting app Navimatics anywhere we are in the boats with no connectivity at all. If we had the wifi-only model we would not be able to do this.

I Pad Pro Visibility

Happy Thanksgiving All
Question for anyone who has purchased the Pro.
How do you find the display in bright light?. I have both the Ipad and also the Ipad Mini both with Navionics, I purchased the Ipad mini specifically for Nav as the screen, though smaller, is much brighter and more readable in sunshine. I installed an expensive filter used by Pilots on the regular Ipad. It improved the reflection problem but its no where as readable as the ipad mini without any screen filter added. Both are WiFi and Cellular. Both work very well with no internet or cellular connection. I am surprised sometimes at the accuracy. I also run Garmin Blue Charts on both of them as a crosscheck, This is excellent as it incorporates Active Captain information.....sorry diversified from original question on Ipad Pro visibility!
Many Thanks

I don't know if it is more cost effective...but there are adaptors that you can plug into the lightning port on a wifi only iPad that will give you GPS positioning.

There is a bluetooth version as well.... So do not feel the need to rush out and spend spend spend more money on a cellular iPad. Just buy one of these little adaptors and you are on your way...
Getting GPS on a Wi-Fi iPad with New Sky

Just google "how to get GPS on wifi only iPad".

Hi,

Behave about something :
1) iPads what are only wifi models don't have a real built-in GPS, but a A-GPS (Assisted GPS) what is not enough accurate to navigate with aboard.

2) iPads what are wifi AND cellular have a real built-in GPS (similar our GPS chart plotters) what perfectly works EVEN if there is no SIM card installed (so, no need of plan contract) and perfectly works aboard boats, cars, planes.

On my boat, I'm using a iPad 3 wifi / cellular without SIM card installed, and it perfectly works with Navionics maps. Once again no SIM card, no plan, no contract.

For those who have only wifi Ipad (no cellular), forget any Bluetooth dongle. Buy the following add :

http://www.amazon.com/Bad-Elf-Connector-iPhone-touch/dp/B0035Y7ZJ2

Bad Elf GPS works perfectly on only wifi iPad, and iPhone as well. I bough it years ago to use on my former iPad wifi and my iPhone, it's great and not expensive. So, you don't need to buy a wifi and cellular iPad of you already own a only wifi iPad.

I remember using my former iPad (only wifi) with Bad Elf GPS connected, aboard a Airbus 320, flying from Paris to Greece. My seat was window side and the iPad showed perfectly the speed, altitude, of the flight.

Hopefully you understand what I meant, even with my basic English, sorry about that !

For more information, you can PM me on TF.

Samsung Note Pro 12.2. Less than half the cost, virtually same screen size, same performance. Apple products are grossly overpriced and often a year behind.

Samsung Note Pro 12.2. Less than half the cost, virtually same screen size, same performance. Apple products are grossly overpriced and often a year behind.

The market does not think so.....

The market does not think so.....

Yes, you are quite correct, the market does, in fact, belong to Apple products. Does that make them a better product or value? Or, do most folks blithely assume that Android products just can't be the equal of Apple products? I think yes. I have owned, still own, an I-Pad so I indeed can compare the two based on actual experience. I will never purchase an Apple product again and be robbed. I made that mistake when I purchased a Mac Pro based on so many folks exclaiming the virtues of the Apple god. I hate that machine and have since replaced it with a Lenovo Windows laptop. The Mac Pro is only used, quite infrequently I might say, to use an app that I purchased for the Mac. You won't be purchasing an inferior product with I-Pad, just a product that is grossly overpriced and often a year behind Android products in terms of technological advances. My goodness, the Samsung Note Pro comes with a writing stylus, FREE! Apple charges a $99 add-on. Such value! My eye.

Last edited:
I use aBad Elf with Navionics on a WiFi iPad and it works perfectly.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom