iPad enough?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Not the same kind of problem. Every time one moves the location of the vessel relative to the iPad screen the degree of detail changes. it happens often without the user being aware.

This only happens with raster charts, only if they are not quilted, and only when the boat moves across the boundaries between two charts. And then, because an iPad is a touch screen, the image can be immediately resized with two fingers.

"IMO no boat in the ICW should be without a depth sounder."

EZ enough as the best dept sounder is a marked pole sturdy enough to push off ,after the deep water has been located.

An electric device only tells what you already know,, you are aground , and does nothing to find the way off.

IMO a depth sunder is only useful if the GPS goes down, for contour nav in blue water. Recording required.

I'm currently running an iPad alone for navigation. I use Navionics, and have the Skipper app (basic GPS on downloaded charts) on my iPhone for backup. For inland/coastal cruising, I'm having trouble picturing why I would need anything else (like chart plotter, Garmin GPS, etc). Thoughts on why that might not be the case?

In this long thread, back to the original question.

The OP has a better navigation system than what most of us had not too long ago. But, for the foggy PNW I'd suggest a modern plotter radar combination. The targets, tracking and navigation ease a modern radar plotting system offers is astounding.

In this long thread, back to the original question.

The OP has a better navigation system than what most of us had not too long ago. But, for the foggy PNW I'd suggest a modern plotter radar combination. The targets, tracking and navigation ease a modern radar plotting system offers is astounding.

Agreed.

Back
Top Bottom