Old 10-29-2015, 07:31 PM   #21
TF Site Team

City: Seattle, WA
Vessel Name: Pau Hana
Vessel Model: 1989 PT52 Overseas Yachtfisher
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Spy View Post
Again. You don't need to buy the iPad with the GPS chip or 3G or 4G wireless. You can Bluetooth an external device to any iPad.

There are advantages and disadvantages.

One advantage is that GLONASS satellites operate at a higher orbit inclination, 64, instead of 55 for GPS. This will give you better coverage at higher latitude.

Another advantage is that it gives you access to twice as many signals, which not only fixes faster, but the antenna is more likely to find a signal when you are in a fjord or behind a mountain.

Things people in the lower 48 don't think about.
Point taken. Counterpoint- why have an external device (and another piece of gear adrift) when the the ipad with the hardware installed is available. Pricing is the only delta I can think of- and $130 isn't all that much money.

1989 52' PT Overseas yachtfisher
Pau Hana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2015, 07:47 PM   #22
Guru

City: Powell River, BC
Vessel Name: Northern Spy
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pau Hana View Post

Point taken. Counterpoint- why have an external device (and another piece of gear adrift) when the the ipad with the hardware installed is available. Pricing is the only delta I can think of- and $130 isn't all that much money.
Most of my argument was made for GLONASS capability. I do understand that the external GPS is more reliable as it is not subject to Apple's power management system. The pilots I know all use external antennas because of this.

I wouldn't know as mine is not cell capable.

That said, I did have a wobble with my Garmin GLO earlier this year when Apple IOS changed. Bad Elf and Dual users did not.

Northern Spy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2015, 08:50 PM   #23
Guru

City: Lions Bay, BC
Vessel Name: Phoenix Hunter
Vessel Model: Kadey Krogen 42 (1985)
iPad

I've got iNavX on my iPad with the CHS, NOAA, (both raster) and Navionics charts (vector). That's some $650 in charts. It's an iPad 2 and after 4 years is starting to show its age. Apple buggers around with the IOS a lot. The later versions of IOS slow the older units down A LOT! I have hesitated upgrading beyond 7.1.2. My wife just upgraded hers and it has basically crippled it.

So figure on 3-4 years of functional life with an iPad. NB: iNavX informs me the CHS charts Han be migrated to a me iPad. They will provide the details when I go down that road.

Jim
Sent from my iPad using Trawler Forum
JDCAVE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2015, 09:03 PM   #24
Guru

City: Lions Bay, BC
Vessel Name: Phoenix Hunter
Vessel Model: Kadey Krogen 42 (1985)
Further to the IOS issue: the newer apps will not work on an older IOS, and you have to be careful about updating older apps as well as these, once updated may not function with the old IOS.

Jim
Sent from my iPad using Trawler Forum
JDCAVE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2015, 06:18 AM   #25
Guru

You might at least consider an android tablet. I've had my Samsung Galaxy Note 8 for almost 2 years and am very happy with it. Android has many more choices in hardware and all the important apps are availlable except Garmin's Blue chart mobile.
timjet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2015, 06:46 AM   #26
Veteran Member

City: Melboune
Vessel Name: Lady M
Vessel Model: Horizon 68
For what its worth I have had a bit of experience with ipad navigation and for me isailor is easily the best, simplest, best charts, course up option its very good.
I have tried and still look at Navionivcs, Inavx and memory map, and only use isailor now together with Raymarine on my main plotter.

I run two ipads upstairs and down in pilothouse, I find that I pretty much use the ipads.

Interesting fact though my original ipad was a ipad2 non retina, I recently bought ipad3rd gen retina, I can tell you the old ipad 2 is better because the gen 2 is good on power, the gen 3 needs so much power that even when in its charging cradle when on all the time, navigating , the battery will still run out...it has a new battery as Apple replaced it when I complained. I think its the screen and the processor bad on battery!

So Ipad 2 non retina will go all day and night, retina will have to be turned off at times to allow the battery to catch up!

Maybe the newer models are better but my charging cradles are for these models so I have stuck to them.
andrewf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2015, 08:27 AM   #27

City: Edgewater, MD
Vessel Name: Catalina Jack
Vessel Model: Defever 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewf View Post
For what its worth I have had a bit of experience with ipad navigation and for me isailor is easily the best, simplest, best charts, course up option its very good.
I have tried and still look at Navionivcs, Inavx and memory map, and only use isailor now together with Raymarine on my main plotter.

I run two ipads upstairs and down in pilothouse, I find that I pretty much use the ipads.

Interesting fact though my original ipad was a ipad2 non retina, I recently bought ipad3rd gen retina, I can tell you the old ipad 2 is better because the gen 2 is good on power, the gen 3 needs so much power that even when in its charging cradle when on all the time, navigating , the battery will still run out...it has a new battery as Apple replaced it when I complained. I think its the screen and the processor bad on battery!

So Ipad 2 non retina will go all day and night, retina will have to be turned off at times to allow the battery to catch up!

Maybe the newer models are better but my charging cradles are for these models so I have stuck to them.
I have an I-Pad with Garmin Blue Chart. It works but in my opinion is inferior in every way (except for lack of Active Captain integration) to Navionics which I run on my Samsung Note Pro 12.2 And, having an I-Pad and a Note Pro I also opine that the Note Pro is far superior to the older I-Pad have. As for the newest I-Pads, they are nearly equal to the Note Pros but cost way, way more and do not have a port for adding micro sd chip memory. No, I am not an Apple hater or an Android fanboy, just a user who has used both Apple and Androids products (phones, too), made the comparison on functionality and value, and am sticking to Android products in the future. IMHO, Apple products no longer are in the category of "getting what you pay for". They charge an big premium based solely on reputation not reflective of real value. Okay, I'm suited up in protective Kevlar ready for your slings and arrows.
catalinajack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2015, 09:21 AM   #28
Guru

City: Satsuma FL
Vessel Name: No Mo Trawla
Vessel Model: Hurricane SS188
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gbinterim View Post
Looks like I've narrowed it down to the Ipad 4th generation 4g with Retina Display 64gb wifi + LTE and the software would be Navionics. Now the search begins for the best price. I think I've run out of questions for the moment.
Thanks again for your informative help in helping me understand!
I have a Retina iPad Air 16gb + 4gLTE. If you are just using the iPad for boat stuff, 16gb is fine. If you plan to take a lot of pictures or videos, you might want more storage. I plan to upgrade to the new iPad Pro with a 12.9" display. It will be a 4g LTE version.
Donsan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2015, 12:30 PM   #29
Veteran Member

City: Phoenix
Vessel Name: Interim
Vessel Model: Grand Banks 36
Thank you everyone for your quick responses and information. It's great to be associated with fellow boaters who will share.
Gbinterim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2015, 01:55 PM   #30
TF Site Team

City: California Delta and SF Bay
Vessel Name: FlyWright
Vessel Model: Marshall Californian 34 LRC
Quote:
Originally Posted by cardude01 View Post
Garmin Bluechart works well with the iPad and works with Active Captain.

The data plan let's you have up to date weather reports and weather radar while on the water, Active Captain updates, etc. I wouldn't get one without the 3G.
Quote:
Originally Posted by timjet View Post
You might at least consider an android tablet. I've had my Samsung Galaxy Note 8 for almost 2 years and am very happy with it. Android has many more choices in hardware and all the important apps are availlable except Garmin's Blue chart mobile.
Both good points. I've seen the BlueChart on Giggitoni's iPad and it's impressive, especially the AC interface.

I use a Samsung Note8 like timjet. I didn't purchase it for nav use, but it works well with Navionics. It's another source of info for me at the helm and also serves as a hotspot for the laptops while underway. I also have Active Captain compatible nav apps on the tablet but hardly use them.

My primary nav computer is a simple $150 Asus notebook running free OpenCPN. Its 10-11 inch screen and laptop convenience suits us well and eliminates the need for another tablet mounting system. It is, by far, the most affordable nav system I could come up with.

Custom Google Trawler Forum Search
FlyWright is offline   Reply With Quote