Old 08-19-2015, 08:13 AM   #41
Guru

City: North Carolina for now
Vessel Name: Small Incentive
Vessel Model: Boston Whaler 130 Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by refugio View Post
Well I just turn the inverter off at the dock. Different strokes
No automatic pass through on your inverter?

"There's the Right Way, the Wrong Way, and what some guy says he's gotten away with"
caltexflanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2015, 11:04 AM   #42
Guru

City: Lions Bay, BC
Vessel Name: Phoenix Hunter
Vessel Model: Kadey Krogen 42 (1985)
Quote:
Originally Posted by refugio View Post
Well I just turn the inverter off at the dock. Different strokes

The manual says it uses 30 watts inverting, no load and 8 watts when inverting and searching. I'm not sure if it is inverting or searching so turn it off when I am at anchor for long periods. The LEDs on the AC receptacles. 30 watts is appx 60 AH over 24 hrs. I'm concerned about the light loads over long periods. They add up.

Jim
Sent from my iPad using Trawler Forum

JDCAVE is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2015, 11:06 AM   #43
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by caltexflanc View Post
No automatic pass through on your inverter?

I have automatic pass through but would be concerned with draining the batteries with inverter loads draining the batteries in the event of a power failure.

Jim
Old 08-19-2015, 11:19 AM   #44
TF Site Team

City: SEWARD ALASKA
Vessel Name: LISAS WAY
Vessel Model: BAYLINER 4788
Quote:
All the stuff not powered by the inverter is on other panels. In our case, stove, water heater, AC, laundry dryer, dishwasher, 3 non-inverter battery chargers, and miscellaneous stuff.

We're the same...

AC stove, electric heaters, trash smasher, water heater come to mind as not wanting to run off of the inverter.
www.mvlisasway.com
ksanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2015, 12:51 PM   #45
Guru

City: Meydenbauer Bay Yacht Club
Vessel Name: Refugio
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDCAVE View Post
I have automatic pass through but would be concerned with draining the batteries with inverter loads draining the batteries in the event of a power failure.
Same here. In practice I generally leave the inverter on thru the summer but go to setting it off in the winter when we use the boat less and I have electric heat turned on.
Old 08-19-2015, 01:05 PM   #46
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDCAVE View Post

Jim
Many inverter systems, and all of the higher end units have an adjustable low voltage cut off setting, so no need to kill your batteries. In my case I set that pretty low, as the sole function of that battery bank was the inverter.

I very much like having the inverter ON in case of a power outage, to keep the refrigerator in particular going. On our set up, we could get fancy if we wanted and have the generator auto start at another predetermined battery voltage (and on newer systems that can be triggered by state of charge as well) and then shut off after some designated period. Don't think we've ever used that on shore power though, it's a bit complicated in that case vs being out on the hook.

"There's the Right Way, the Wrong Way, and what some guy says he's gotten away with"
Old 08-19-2015, 03:17 PM   #47
Guru

Quote:
Many inverter systems, and all of the higher end units have an adjustable low voltage cut off setting, so no need to kill your batteries. In my case I set that pretty low, as the sole function of that battery bank was the inverter.

I very much like having the inverter ON in case of a power outage, to keep the refrigerator in particular going. On our set up, we could get fancy if we wanted and have the generator auto start at another predetermined battery voltage (and on newer systems that can be triggered by state of charge as well) and then shut off after some designated period. Don't think we've ever used that on shore power though, it's a bit complicated in that case vs being out on the hook.

It's okay as my fridge and freezer are DC units so operate without the inverter. My figuring is power outages in the PNW are typically fall-winter events. In the event of a power failure, I don't want the heaters drawing inverter loads as they would drop the batteries down in no time. I'd be checking on the boat if the shore power shutoff. Yes, my inverter has an automatic shutoff setting but it's use is pretty much moot with it manually shut off.

Jim
Old 08-19-2015, 03:25 PM   #48
Guru

OK, I see, in your case you are running the heaters off inverter-connected outlets.

Old 08-19-2015, 05:24 PM   #49
Guru

Yes and there is no need for inverter based loads when I am away from the boat.

Jim
Old 09-01-2015, 02:46 PM   #50

City: LaPaz ,Mexico and the Sea of Cortez
Vessel Name: Delta Swizzler
Vessel Model: 1988 58' Vantare
Any major trick to installing two different manufacturers invert/chargers so that don't back feed to each other if you want them to charger one bank ? I have combined all my house and engine start batteries in one large bank. Before you say NO I have a separate bank of batteries for my two gensets, in case my 1800 amp hours bank gets low. At this point I have not used my chargers in the past four months because I have been solar power. I am looking to add a second invert so that I can draw more off of my batteries.
Dswizzler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2015, 04:01 PM   #51
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dswizzler View Post
Any major trick to installing two different manufacturers invert/chargers so that don't back feed to each other if you want them to charger one bank ? I have combined all my house and engine start batteries in one large bank. Before you say NO I have a separate bank of batteries for my two gensets, in case my 1800 amp hours bank gets low. At this point I have not used my chargers in the past four months because I have been solar power. I am looking to add a second invert so that I can draw more off of my batteries.

I would think that sizing is everything. Are your house and starter batteries the same age and type? It's best if they are the same age and type, or you can get into a situation where either good batteries are charging batteries of poorer health, or, overcharging some batteries in order to bring the others up to a state of charge.

Jim
Old 09-01-2015, 04:48 PM   #52

City: Grand Island NY
Vessel Name: Missy
Vessel Model: Mainship 350
Instead of buying another inverter, get a good size charger. Split the bank with a 1-2-Both switch, then you can charge one side with the inverter and one side with the charger. Thats what we do, works good.
ronlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2015, 04:51 PM   #53

City: LaPaz ,Mexico and the Sea of Cortez
Vessel Name: Delta Swizzler
Vessel Model: 1988 58' Vantare
Not a problem on the batteries they are all1 year old agm lifeline batteries, my concern is the charging circuits back feeding each other. I always turn off the solar before activating the inverter chargers.
Dswizzler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2015, 05:08 PM   #54
Guru

City: West Coast
Quote:
Originally Posted by ronlord View Post
Instead of buying another inverter, get a good size charger. Split the bank with a 1-2-Both switch, then you can charge one side with the inverter and one side with the charger. Thats what we do, works good.
FWIW, I have both an inverter (which also charges) and a stand-alone charger on my main bank. Normally, there is no need for the stand-alone to be on, but when the bank is deeply discharged, recharging with both brings back the charge faster. If I forget to turn off the second charger, sometimes, when they get down to trickle charging, the inverter and charger will both act up (the charger gets hot but doesn't put out a lot of current, while the inverter signals an error message).
MYTraveler is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2015, 05:39 PM   #55
TF Site Team

City: Chicago, IL
Vessel Name: Bay Pelican
Vessel Model: Krogen 42
Two good size chargers at one time. I played with this issue and ran into the chargers reducing output. Finally put in an A/B switch between the two battery boxes. Now each charger gives full output to one box. From the meters looks like I am getting a total of 200 amps output. This is acceptable with a 1300 amp hr bank.
Old 09-01-2015, 06:07 PM   #56
TF Site Team

City: California Delta and SF Bay
Vessel Name: FlyWright
Vessel Model: Marshall Californian 34 LRC
I would think the charger with the higher voltage wins in the tug of war between the competing chargers. The charger with the lower voltage sees the higher voltage as battery voltage and reduces the current. I see this when using my generator/shore charger while running the engines. The Balmar alternator trumps the shore charger with its higher voltage.

Custom Google Trawler Forum Search
FlyWright is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2015, 06:12 PM   #57
Guru

City: West Coast
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyWright View Post
I would think the charger with the higher voltage wins in the tug of war between the competing chargers. The charger with the lower voltage sees the higher voltage as battery voltage and reduces the current.
That is not my experience. If one charger alone is not able to provide enough current to charge the battery bank at the maximum rate it can permit, then the second charger will see a voltage somewhere between the battery bank's voltage and the other charger's voltage.
But once the batteries are sufficiently charged that their acceptance current (if that is the right term) is lower than what the first charger can provide, the second charger (or at least one of the two) will see that higher voltage and stop charging. I think that is what is happening when my chargers get confused, as I described above.
MYTraveler is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2015, 07:39 PM   #58
TF Site Team

City: California Delta and SF Bay
Vessel Name: FlyWright
Vessel Model: Marshall Californian 34 LRC
I think you're right, MYTraveler. My experience has been with nearly full batts when the peak voltage has been achieved (absorption stage) and the acceptance rate of the charging current is reducing.

In bulk stage charging, both would contribute to boost the voltage.

Custom Google Trawler Forum Search
FlyWright is online now   Reply With Quote