Old 11-16-2011, 03:57 PM   #21
Guru

RE: Inverter Tips

Quote:
GonzoF1 wrote:
*Yea Chuck, read it yesterday and I am headed that direction, however, ProMarimer doesn't seem to make a 2000W hard-wired inverter anymore. At least I can't seem to find one. I'll keep looking. Perhaps a suitable alternative will surface. What surprises me about your rig is that your battery bank is so "small". I figured you would have more that 440Ah,but it is the exact same size as ours. I thought I would need far more to do what you do. Good to know I am at least in the ballpark.

*I don't understand, here and here is the same unit I have and it can esily be hardwired. And here again on ebay . I was not aware that they have discontinued this one. Chuck

Capn Chuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 06:28 AM   #22
Guru

City: Cary, NC
Vessel Name: Skinny Dippin'
Vessel Model: Navigator 4200 Classic

Thanks Chuck... I called BoatBandit and they were out of stock, but I didn't think to check eBay. DOH!

Tom.B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 03:19 PM   #23

City: Everett
Vessel Name: Note by Note
Vessel Model: 34 DeFever

Where have you installed your inverter? Have you had any problems?

The guy who installed my Magnum 2812 insisted on putting it in the hanging locker. I didn't like the idea because of the very real possibility of blocked airflow from clothes in the hanging locker. The yard electrician claimed there would be too many problems with heat and moisture if I installed it in the engine room. I'm thinking of moving it. What do you think?
bobc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 05:22 PM   #24
Guru

City: San Diego
Vessel Name: "Sandpiper"
Vessel Model: 2006 42' Ocean Alexander Sedan

Quote:
bobc wrote:
What do you think?
*Mine is in the ER and right next to the 3-8D AGMs. The boat is 7 years old now and -0- problems with the inverter in that location.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	dscn1175.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	54.3 KB
ID:	8560  
Codger2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 06:25 PM   #25
Guru

City: Cary, NC
Vessel Name: Skinny Dippin'
Vessel Model: Navigator 4200 Classic

How hot does it get in there? I want mine in the engine bay too.
Tom.B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 07:40 PM   #26
Guru

City: Cowichan Bay, BC
Vessel Name: Gray Hawk
Vessel Model: Defever 43 Offshore Cruiser

My Freedom 20 is in the engine room.* I don't have a thermometer in there but it must get well into the 90s when we're underway.* I don't know how long its been onboard but its an old inverter, predates the Xantrex era.* Having seen inside the Heart series inverters and some of the newer Xantrex "equivalents" I'd be looking for an old Heart if I wanted another inverter.* We have a Heart 25 on the bus.* I had the relays replaced in it about 2 years ago.* Its hard to find somebody who actually knows how to work on them but they are rugged.
bobofthenorth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 07:32 AM   #27

City: Louisville
Vessel Name: Lucky Dog
Vessel Model: Mainship 350 Trawler

Bare in mind that the hotter the battery (above 80 F) the quicker it will self discharge and the less amp hours it will be capable of producing. Check the battery manufacturers charts.
David O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2011, 05:49 PM   #28
Guru

City: North Charleston, SC

I'll just make some random comments on the subject:

In most cases, it's more efficient to use 12 volt appliances than 120 volt appliances powered by an inverter and 12 volt batteries. Fans, lights, TVs, refrigeration, etc. There is at least a 10% loss through the inverter. The exception would be a 12 volt coffee maker. These seem to be incredibly slow.

Some appliances will function just fine powered by a "modified sine wave (it's really a square wave with the corners filtered off)" inverter, but some do best with a pure sine wave inverter.

An inverter needs to be installed as close to the batteries as possible to minimize the voltage drop between the batteries and the inverter. Given the choice, the leads between the batteries and inverter should be as short as possible and the 120 volt circuit can be as long as necessary. An inverter will need ventillation and may have to be installed in a specific orientation.

The power (in amps) drawn from the batteries is more than ten times the power (in amps) produced at 120 volts AC.

An inverter is probably not ignition proteced and should not be installed in the engine room of a gasoline powered boat.

The advertised power rating of a microwave oven is the "cooking power, not the power consumption. The power consumption will be listed on the label near the power cord connection and will be considerable more than the cooking power. A "700 watt" microwave oven draws over 1,000 watts 0f 120 volt AC power. That is over 100 amps from a 12 volt battery bank.

Heating water with an electric water heater or heating the cabin with an electric heater powered by batteries and an inverter will draw too much power for too long a period to be practical. The same goes for air conditioning.

An inverter will have a standby current of up to one amp or so even with no load connected so it needs to be turned off when not in use or when it won't be used for a day or more to avoid unecessary drain on the batteries. Get one with a remote switch.
rwidman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2011, 06:17 PM   #29

City: Everett
Vessel Name: Note by Note
Vessel Model: 34 DeFever

Quote:
rwidman wrote:
The advertised power rating of a microwave oven is the "cooking power, not the power consumption. The power consumption will be listed on the label near the power cord connection and will be considerable more than the cooking power. A "700 watt" microwave oven draws over 1,000 watts 0f 120 volt AC power. That is over 100 amps from a 12 volt battery bank.
According to the inverter's control panel, the 900W microwave on my boat draws 150A out of the batteries.*

That's not the whole story.* The oven's magentron doesn't conduct over the entire AC cycle, it only draws current during a fraction of one-half of one cycle.* It's off during the other half (half-wave rectified).* So, the peak current loads on the inverter are quite a bit higher than you might think.*

My microwave sounds a bit different when I'm on the inverter, so I'm not sure the 900W microwave would work very well with anything smaller than the 2800W inverter I'm using.
bobc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2011, 03:47 AM   #30
FF
Guru

Unless its a quite expensive true sine wave inverter,

ALL inverters will take longer than dockside or big noisemaker (Over 10KW) 120V current to produce the same cooking result.

Home Power suggested heating a Pirex held quart of water with line 120 , and then again with the inverter.

Then its simple to add 10% to 30% to cook times when on the batteries.

Might be an interesting experiment with a 4KW or 6KW noisemaker too.

Refrigeration IS better with DC as the compressor speed can be easily controlled.

With lighting , fans and the rest I have found cheap thin DC wiring looses as much as a reasonable inverter working.

Newer inverters are way better than those from only a decade ago.
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2011, 06:24 AM   #31
Guru

My original microwave (circa 1999) would sometimes start and then stop cooking on inverter power. I replaced it with a Panasonic. This one is reliable on inverter power but makes a lot more noise.

I conducted experiments heating water on shore power and microwave power. As I recall, with the Panasonic, one minute on microwave power raised a cup of water from 75 degrees or so to 130 degrees while shore power raised it to about 145 degrees.

I thought about returning the Panasonic and trying something else because of the noise but my wife said it didn't bother her so I kept it. It's either 800 watts or 900 watts (don't remember) and slight ly larger inside than the one it replaced but fit in the same location.

It doesn't have an "always on" clock which is a good feature when you will be turning the power off on a regular basis.
Old 11-27-2011, 07:39 PM   #32
Veteran Member

City: St Augustine
Vessel Model: Mainship390

The microwave clock does not keep accurate time when powered off the inverter, must not be right on 60 cps.

Also, gfi outlets hum, loudly.

Xantrex 1800 watt. Other then the above works fine.
millennium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2011, 08:24 PM   #33
Hospitality Officer

City: Pittwater
Vessel Name: Sarawana
Vessel Model: IG 36 Quad Cabin

Ditto, Xantrex 1800 in engine Bay.Works well, noticable hum/wine when the fan kicks in. Enough to make us turn it off when we go to bed.
Andy G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 03:15 PM   #34
Guru

Quote:
millennium wrote:
The microwave clock does not keep accurate time when powered off the inverter, must not be right on 60 cps.

And it doesn't keep time at all if you turn the inverter off without shore power.

The GE microwave oven I bought for my home (above the range with fan and light) won't even heat a cup of cold coffee if the clock is not set (after a power failure or glitch).* Not just set the time (AM or PM), but the day, date, month and year!*

If I had known that, I would have taken it back to Lowes and bought something else.* Why does a microwave oven need to know any of this?
Old 11-30-2011, 05:06 AM   #35
Scraping Paint

City: Fort Lauderdale
Vessel Model: CHB 48 Zodiac YL 4.2

Quote:
rwidman wrote:
Why does a microwave oven need to know any of this?
Maybe it collects data on all your activities and sends it back to China.

RickB is offline   Reply With Quote