Old 05-28-2013, 05:45 PM   #21
City: Snohomish, WA
Vessel Name: Simply Hawaiian
Vessel Model: 1986 Bayliner 3870
I too use a Verizon Mifi up here in the PNW. Works great. Be aware that Verizon no longer has unlimited data plans. My Mifi is part of a shared plan for 5 users (don't ask ); the data comes in $10.00/2Gb chunks.

"Simply Hawaiian"
1986 Bayliner 3870
MMSI: 338119843
Scottlb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 09:22 PM   #22
Veteran Member
City: Panama
Vessel Name: Mar Azul
Vessel Model: DeFever 44
The costs of using USB modems vary in the Carribean. We used them with success everywhere we tried, at varying costs. Presently Honduras is cheap $25 US for 5GB data. That's cheaper than most US plans. But...our unlocked modem won't work everywhere, YMMV. Here we had to spend $25 US on a new USB modem.

The Cradlepoint and TP Link MR3420 routers will allow you to share a USB cellular modem with everyone on your boat. (And cruising buddies anchored next to you).

Overall, we used:

1 - WiFi if it was there (we have an outside amp system) and the cost was reasonable

2- Cellular USB Modem

3 - Isatphone Pro for weather and text email only.

Ebaugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 03:25 PM   #23
Veteran Member
City: San Jose, CA
Vessel Name: Tropical Blend
Vessel Model: Nordhavn 43
Originally Posted by jwnall View Post
So, then, with an MiFi module on my boat I can have wi-fi available to run a laptop? (Provided that the signal from the carrier exists, of course). I'm going to change my verizon plan tomorrow (just by way of coincidence) anyway, so should perhaps get unlimited data plan? My marina does not have wi-fi service available (possibly the last remaining marina on the face of the earth which does not!) and I sorely miss the internet when I am down there.
Yes, that's correct. In my office, we had a very intermittent internet signal because of some line-of-site interference (the brain trust here installed a wireless point-to-point provider), so I started to use the Mifi hotspot - it works quite well. As long as you can get a signal, you can use a Mifi modem. You have another option - if you have an unlimited data plan, download an app called Foxfi, pay a one-time $7.95 fee, and you can use your phone as either a wireless or wired (via USB) router - no Mifi hardware needed.

Blender Boy is offline   Reply With Quote