Internet access or lack thereof

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

wdbox

Vessel Name
Honey B
Vessel Make
Silverton, 36C
I have a whole bunch of things on the boat, both wired and wireless, connected to a router. This is the boat LAN. When I have the boat at home, I have cable at my dock and I simply connect the router WAN port to a cable modem with an ethernet cable. Everything works and I have internet where I need it.

The problem I have is when we travel. If the marina has wifi I can connect the computer and get internet. However, without a modem I cannot distribute it to my boat network. In this case I cannot access my printer or MFD's while I am connected to the internet.

I am looking for something to replace the cable modem. This device should plug into the routers WAN port and accept its internet input from the marina wifi.

I have devoted hours to this problem. I have read about access points, bridges, switches, multiple routers and other supposed solutions. I even talked to the Geek Squad at Best buy. At this point I am totally over my head and have no solution in sight. I can sort of work this out by using my phone as a hot spot but this has a number of drawbacks and I really do not want to do this.

Now it would seem to me that I can not be the only person on the planet with this problem. There has to be a simple solution. If any of you computer experts can help me out, I would really appreciate it.:confused:

There are a lot of options to achieve what you want. I have been keeping this particular article updated with the latest full systems for staying connected:

https://seabits.com/best-boat-internet-systems/

It sounds like you already have an on board router? Or are you referring to the cable modem combo unit?

If you’ve got router already, a MikroTik groove or other similar WiFi extender would be an easy way of grabbing the Marina WiFi when around.

Could you comment more on what sort of router and devices you have? That would help with recommendations.

Get a small, low powered computer (like an Intel NUC) with a wifi card and 2 network ports and put pfSense or other router software that can handle wifi on it. And let it handle your internal network's DNS, DHCP, etc., using the existing router as just a wifi access point and network switch.

Done right, you'll be able to take internet from either a wired connection (like your cable modem) or connect the router to wifi and let it feed your network from that. Adding a 4G cell phone modem to the mix is possible too (or you could tether the router to your phone) for times where cellular internet is the only available option.

We have a couple of unlocked quad phones and unlocked USB modems. When we’re in another country we buy SIM cards. We like the USB modems better than tethering if for nothing else the amount of date we go through is less. With the USB modem it’s one device at a time.

Attachments

• B79BF21F-AF2F-4A8D-8768-16A942DA3F9D.jpg
    B79BF21F-AF2F-4A8D-8768-16A942DA3F9D.jpg
    189.7 KB · Views: 78
There are a lot of options to achieve what you want. I have been keeping this particular article updated with the latest full systems for staying connected:

It sounds like you already have an on board router? Or are you referring to the cable modem combo unit?

If you’ve got router already, a MikroTik groove or other similar WiFi extender would be an easy way of grabbing the Marina WiFi when around.

Could you comment more on what sort of router and devices you have? That would help with recommendations.

I have a Linksys Wireless router connected to two laptops, two MFD's and a printer. I will check out the MikroTik Groove.

All we have ever used in 4 years full time cruising is a $50 unlocked android phone as a hotspot connecting 6 devices using 80gb/mth.

We used a cable modem. I looked at the output of the plug and it was 12V. So just cut the plug off and wire it to your DC system.

We also had a WiFi extender which helped signal strength.

Check out the Bullets (or more user friendly versions using the exact same technology but at 2x - 3x the price).

Check out the Bullets (or more user friendly versions using the exact same technology but at 2x - 3x the price).

The Bullet hardware was manufactured by UniFi/Ubiquiti and is no longer being made. The newer Bullets on their site are for Point to Point WiFi and won't work. However, some vendors are still using the older hardware, and sell products for 2-4x the cost of the hardware with their own custom firmware on it that makes it much easier.

This is a great option if you don't want to deal with MikroTik, which can be more challenging to configure.

However, all Bullet hardware is 2.4Ghz only which rarely works in crowded marinas or other electrically "noisy" areas. If you're curious, you can read about why at Marina WiFi is Hard.

Having both 5Ghz as well as 2.4Ghz is becoming a pretty important requirement just to get those remote WiFi signals. I switch between them at least once a week depending on conditions. The MikroTik is unfortunately the only product that has both radios in it - I wish someone else would come out with one that works well and is simple to use!

The Bullet is a good choice if you know that the only networks you're connecting to are 2.4Ghz, and that there is not a lot of interference. Otherwise you might have to use the MikroTik.

Mikrotik Groove 52AC is your best bet. Have the same setup on our boat and it works amazingly.

https://mikrotik.com/product/RBGrooveGA-52HPacn

If you do get a MikroTik, you probably will want to read my step-by-step setup guide as they are a bit challenging to configure.

Good luck!

Throwing out for discussion.
I have windows 10 laptop wifi connected to my router.
I went to win 10 settings, network & internet and find a mobile hotspot to share the incoming wifi on a new shared network (wifi or lan). I have not tested this with a printer. As I have a dongle wifi (2 separate wifi receivers, built in is only 2.4) I looked and saw the shared signal. I am now curious if a ethernet cable from laptop to router will then share internet and also have a private network.

Throwing out for discussion.
I have windows 10 laptop wifi connected to my router.
I went to win 10 settings, network & internet and find a mobile hotspot to share the incoming wifi on a new shared network (wifi or lan). I have not tested this with a printer. As I have a dongle wifi (2 separate wifi receivers, built in is only 2.4) I looked and saw the shared signal. I am now curious if a ethernet cable from laptop to router will then share internet and also have a private network.

The W10 hotspot capability will work with a wireless printer, but... I haven't tested with a wired printer... and also I've only shared via Wifi (didn't notice an option to share via wired LAN).

You can select which radio you're sharing -- WiFi, WiFi2, etc. -- but then I think the frequency band carries through... so if you're sharing 5 gHz and your downstream devices only do 2.4 gHz... they won't connect to the W10 hotspot.

I think.

-Chris

I think any hotspot will drive a printer. Tune your printer to the hotspot and your document source device to the same hotspot. We use a phone. Works every time.
The W10 hotspot capability will work with a wireless printer, but... I haven't tested with a wired printer... and also I've only shared via Wifi (didn't notice an option to share via wired LAN).

You can select which radio you're sharing -- WiFi, WiFi2, etc. -- but then I think the frequency band carries through... so if you're sharing 5 gHz and your downstream devices only do 2.4 gHz... they won't connect to the W10 hotspot.

I think.

-Chris

First, we are doing the inland rivers, then this fall we start the Loop, so only Canada as another country. We use an Ipad Pro (already owned) as Personal Hotspot - covers our 42' sundeck for wifi and our 'smart' TV. Works great as long as we can get at least one bar of cellular coverage. When we have guests they log into our wifi with no problems. Very simple solution. Was told that if we used our phones as hotspot they would soon burn up, but no problem with the ipad, so far - about one year.

First, we are doing the inland rivers, then this fall we start the Loop, so only Canada as another country. We use an Ipad Pro (already owned) as Personal Hotspot - covers our 42' sundeck for wifi and our 'smart' TV. Works great as long as we can get at least one bar of cellular coverage. When we have guests they log into our wifi with no problems. Very simple solution. Was told that if we used our phones as hotspot they would soon burn up, but no problem with the ipad, so far - about one year.

I have been using phone as hotspot for my laptop for several years. It gets used 6 months a year every day... I haven't heard of any phones burning up by using as hotspot.

I think.

-Chris
I succeeded in receiving wifi off one network and picking it up with wifi hotspot from laptop. While Ethernet was also plugged in to laptop I could print.
Of course other devices had to log into the wifi hotspot. In the brief time I had , I could not get a lan to appear so as to send via Ethernet. Perhaps printer plugged direct to laptop will work or wifi printer to hotspot. But it works without any other expenditure.

I have been using phone as hotspot for my laptop for several years. It gets used 6 months a year every day... I haven't heard of any phones burning up by using as hotspot.
I use the phone too. The only difference I noted was hotspot via wifi made the phone slightly warmer, whereas usb to phone was cooler. It also limited to one device on phone hotspot.

We have an IslandTime Wifi extender system. We wanted an antenna that also had the 5.8Ghz band. The 5.8GHz band doesn't have the range but is less crowded than the 2.4Ghz band. The marina we're in now, broadcasts on both bands and the speed/connectivity is superior on the 5.8 GHz. We had the "Bullet" before which as ok but only had the 2.4 GHz band.

Here's an article discussing the differet bands:

https://www.sabaitechnology.com/blog...vs-5-ghz-wifi/

The Island Time system we bought has the Mikrotik Groove 52HPn Dual Band High Gain antenna 2.4/5.8Ghz, 7/8dbi. Hobo’s now wired and the Tech support is great.

https://www.islandtimepc.com/

The Island Time system we bought has the Mikrotik Groove 52HPn Dual Band High Gain antenna 2.4/5.8Ghz, 7/8dbi. Hobo’s now wired and the Tech support is great.

Gotta second that. The people at Island Time are great. Just call them and they will set you up with what's best. They cost a little more, but your hardware will come preprogrammed and practically plug and play. They are sailors who do electronics, not warehouses selling parts, and know what works.

Steve,

Excellent information about communication on your site. Am reading all the articles.
Thanks!

Do they load a custom firmware on the MikroTik as they used to on the Bullet, or is it just a bundle with updated mounting hardware and remote tech support?

I've been waiting for someone to produce a custom, streamlined firmware for the MikroTik, but it is a huge undertaking, and no one seems to have done it yet...

The Bullet hardware was manufactured by UniFi/Ubiquiti and is no longer being made.

This is what I am using and it is still available on Amazon:
https://www.amazon.com/s?k=ubiquity+bullet&ref=nb_sb_noss_2

It is disappointing to hear that Ubuiti doesn't make this (or apparently anthing similar), so I just purchased a backup. Thanks for the heads up.

Edit: I see no indication on Ubiquiti's site that they no longer manufacture the BM2HP, which in my experience is ideally suited to the application. What am I missing?

Last edited:
Do they load a custom firmware on the MikroTik as they used to on the Bullet, or is it just a bundle with updated mounting hardware and remote tech support?

I've been waiting for someone to produce a custom, streamlined firmware for the MikroTik, but it is a huge undertaking, and no one seems to have done it yet...

I don’t know. The system is plug, play and forget or has been for me anyway.

I read your blog and looked at the Pepwave MAX Transit Router With Cat 12 LTE Advanced Pro Modem - $899

5G store also has a Pepwave MAX BR1 Mini with Cat 6 LTE Advanced Modem for $399

What's the difference between the two?

I don't use marina WiFi since it's slow or too many users. We don't stream video on boat. I have a WeBoost 4GX with their marine outdoor antenna. All I want to do is rebroadcast the cellular signal from the booster throughout a 40' boat via WiFi. We use 2 Samsung tablets to surf and emai.

The tablets needs to be close to the indoor antenna to get good connections. We want to be able to connect from anywhere on the boat.

We boat Puget Sound and BC and the carrier is Verizon.

I have yet to test this. Just finished finding on net. Go to wifi properties on the laptop which is receiving internet via wifi from whatever source. go to sharing tab, check it share, it will ask how to create private network, choose ethernet, plug cable from laptop to router wan.

Per the recommendation of Steve (Airstream345), we're going in this direction:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07G5KWZ3H/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

The plan is to remove the current Comcast hardware, and plug this into the Apple Airport Extreme router. $60/month or so for unthrottled unlimited service.

The Nighthawk is a great unit, used by a lot of RV'ers. I have one and it is a great unit as long as you have a good outdoor antenna if you care about getting signal in remote areas.

What Verizon plan are you going for that is $60/month unlimited? They had one a year and a half ago, and they discontinued it. I still have the plan and it is amazing - completely unlimited and unthrottled, whereas the other 4 plans I have are "unlimited" but slow down at some point....

Back
Top Bottom