Internal GPS showing wrong date

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

PJHoffnet

Vessel Name
Changes in L'Attitudes
Vessel Make
1999 Maxum 4100 SCA (not a trawler)
2012 Simrad NSS12 (pre-evo models).

No issues until last week when we went out and I noticed no time displayed on screen in any page/display (wte of Satellite view). Also noted GPS receiver icon was RED.

Track data had correct lat/long, but all track points showed 12/31/1969 19:00:01 for date/time. Ran again this week, same symptoms. On Satellites page seeing correct position, and time, but date shows as 27/03/2099.

Any thoughts on correcting would be greatly appreciated. Did a Google search, but not much on these older devices.
W4pfH8q.jpg

purely a guess...

An internal battery finally died.

I had a PC behave the same way long ago, far away. new BIOS battery fixed it...

They want us to throw stuff away by the time this happens now...

I don't know if this is your problem, but there was a very similar problem with avionics made with a certain popular GPS chip set. A register overflows, and the date goes bad. Everything else works fine. Is the GPS internal to the plotter? GPS receivers are very cheap now, I'd just add an external one.

purely a guess...

An internal battery finally died.

I had a PC behave the same way long ago, far away. new BIOS battery fixed it...

They want us to throw stuff away by the time this happens now...

I was thinking the exact same thing.

Is the GPS internal to the plotter? GPS receivers are very cheap now, I'd just add an external one.

Yes, internal. Going external is certainly the solution if I can't get it figured out.

This has hit Simrad across the board with a number of model products. It’s a bug and you will have to wait for a fix. More info is available on the hull truth.

I have the same model with an external GPS sensor. I have also just lost the time from the corner of the screen in the last few weeks. I suspected that it may have been when I changed the time to allow for our local day light saving especially as being GMT + 13 hours. But after reading this I’m now thinking a bug or program glitch. Also a word of warning. I have a low bridge to negotiate to get back to my mariner, to check the tide height I use the tide chart on the Simrad unit. It now doesn’t change to the current date automatically so could of easily caught me out had it not been so obviously far out (bad seamanship I know). The same could maybe happening with your unit.

Thanks to all ... Here's the link to the Hull Truth thread

It seems the consensus is batch of bad GPS chips thatand manufactures are working on a fix.

Last edited:
E-mailed SIMRAD and received this response ... same as all the other manufactures I'd guess.

"This is still in process with no set ETA. We're working with the GPS chipset manufacturer to try and integrate a fix into our systems."

Simrad have just emailed me that they have a patch that can be down loaded to fix this issue. I will try the fix in a day or two and report back.

Good deal

Simrad have just emailed me that they have a patch that can be down loaded to fix this issue. I will try the fix in a day or two and report back.

Thanks for letting me the update had come out - I haven't received the e-mail notification. Can't get to the boat for a few days, but fingers crossed my update goes as smoothly as yours.

Thanks for letting me the update had come out - I haven't received the e-mail notification. Can't get to the boat for a few days, but fingers crossed my update goes as smoothly as yours.

I’m sure it will - good luck.

Installed update on 18 JAN, worked fine - back to normal ops.

of course

I just recently saw on another forum something about Furuno having published info about some of the older GPS units which will be affected by a "March 17 GPS rollover". (Think I remember that date correctly.)

The statement says units will need factory updating, or Furuno recommends replacement with a more current unit.

Happens our oldest GPS -- a GP-36 differential version -- is on the list. OTOH, the display on our unit is also going south, some pixels not lighting, etc... and ours is also a third installed GPS on the boat, so... I'm not overly concerned. I'd actually replace the thing with a different instrument, if I could think of something we need and that would fit in roughly the same space...

Or maybe I'll ask Furuno about fixing both date and display...

-Chris

I just recently saw on another forum something about Furuno having published info about some of the older GPS units which will be affected by a "March 17 GPS rollover". (Think I remember that date correctly.)

-Chris

The roll over is at days end of 6 April (7 april will be week 0.) I've asked SIMRAD if the just released (8 JAN) software update is 'GPS week number roll over' safe. Waiting to hear from them, will post when I hear. If not, and we have to wait two months for a fix like this most recent problem, I'll be a bit po'd. Even worse, I'll be headed out on a multi-week cruise right about then.

I asked SIMRAD if the latest update (8 JAN) for the NSS series would be affected by the GPS week number roll over - their answer:

No the 2019 Spring GPS rollover will not effect the new software and GPS in the NSS12.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom