Old 11-26-2013, 11:49 PM   #1
Guru

City: South FL
Vessel Name: Oliver
Vessel Model: Nordhavn 47 Hull# 12
After reading Hollywood's thread about installing his SSB. It got me thinking we have on on the new boat, this is the setup M802 SSB Radio, AT140 tuner, and 23' Shakespeare galaxy antenna. Anyways how do I use it? Are there any guides out there? Also we will be adding some small garmin for the SAT weather, so basically the only use I see with it is long range distress radio.
Nordhavn 47 Hull #12
N4712 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 12:25 AM   #2
Guru

City: Mooloolaba
Vessel Name: Flora
Vessel Model: Timber southern cray boat
Oliver,
Check out the Cruising Club of America web site.
They have some good stuff on communications and some details on using the Icom 710 series of HF radios.
These are earlier models that the 820 but may be of some use.

Down here in our neck of the woods the HF is a great source of weather info if one travels off shore out of VHF range and also the best safety device other than the EPIRB ( these are compulsory down in Aus)

The sat phone is good but you can only ring one person the radio contacts everybody on the air waves .
Cheers
Benn
Tidahapah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 12:48 AM   #3
Guru

City: Port Townsend Washington
Vessel Name: " OTTER "
Vessel Model: Ocean Alexander Europa 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by N4712 View Post
After reading Hollywood's thread about installing his SSB. It got me thinking we have on on the new boat, this is the setup M802 SSB Radio, AT140 tuner, and 23' Shakespeare galaxy antenna. Anyways how do I use it? Are there any guides out there? Also we will be adding some small garmin for the SAT weather, so basically the only use I see with it is long range distress radio.
On Volunteer I kept a radio schedule with friends as they sailed around the Pacific, on last years delivery trip to mexico we used the ssb to communicate with a buddy boat out of vhf range. radio telephone,weather, email, ssb nets, news are just some of the reasons to use the ssb.

HOLLYWOOD
hollywood8118 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 04:10 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

City: Chicago, IL
Vessel Name: Bay Pelican
Vessel Model: Krogen 42
Oliver

Use will depend upon where you go. In the United States and Canada we generally rely upon cell phones and VHF radios. The SSB is sort of sidelined. Once you leave the US and Canada the SSB becomes both your telephone and your weather information source. Starting with the Bahamas there are specific weather broadcasts to listen to each morning and evening and very active cruisers' nets that will tell you both where your friends are and provide all sorts of information.

Noonsite has a list of cruising nets. http://www.noonsite.com/ For weather in the Bahamas start with Chris Parker Marine Weather Center - Bahamas & Caribbean Marine Weather Services. There are many other sites you will learn about.

Marty
Bay Pelican is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 06:44 AM   #5
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tidahapah View Post
Oliver, Check out the Cruising Club of America web site. They have some good stuff on communications and some details on using the Icom 710 series of HF radios. These are earlier models that the 820 but may be of some use. Down here in our neck of the woods the HF is a great source of weather info if one travels off shore out of VHF range and also the best safety device other than the EPIRB ( these are compulsory down in Aus) The sat phone is good but you can only ring one person the radio contacts everybody on the air waves . Cheers Benn
Thanks Benn I'll check out that website.
Nordhavn 47 Hull #12
Old 11-27-2013, 06:49 AM   #6

City: Foley, Alabama
Vessel Name: GITANA
Vessel Model: Sea Ranger 47 Pilothouse
Lots of good information available via SSB once you obtain broadcast schedules and frequencies from any of the above referenced sources. Ditto on Chris Parker Weather net for superb info in the Bahamas and throughout the Caribbean. No license is required to listen; however, if you want to transmit on SSB you will need a license (Marine Radio Operators Permit). They're fairly easy to obtain from the US FCC (Federal Communications Commission) and no longer expire.
Captain K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 06:52 AM   #7
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by hollywood8118 View Post
On Volunteer I kept a radio schedule with friends as they sailed around the Pacific, on last years delivery trip to mexico we used the ssb to communicate with a buddy boat out of vhf range. radio telephone,weather, email, ssb nets, news are just some of the reasons to use the ssb. HOLLYWOOD
Thanks.
Nordhavn 47 Hull #12
Old 11-27-2013, 06:56 AM   #8
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bay Pelican View Post
Oliver Use will depend upon where you go. In the United States and Canada we generally rely upon cell phones and VHF radios. The SSB is sort of sidelined. Once you leave the US and Canada the SSB becomes both your telephone and your weather information source. Starting with the Bahamas there are specific weather broadcasts to listen to each morning and evening and very active cruisers' nets that will tell you both where your friends are and provide all sorts of information. Noonsite has a list of cruising nets. http://www.noonsite.com/ For weather in the Bahamas start with Chris Parker Marine Weather Center - Bahamas & Caribbean Marine Weather Services. There are many other sites you will learn about. Marty
Thanks I'll take a look at those websites. Well mainly be around the far Bahamas, so I check out those cruiser nets, also I heard that you can get grib files for weather how is this done?
Nordhavn 47 Hull #12
Old 11-27-2013, 07:00 AM   #9
Guru

City: Joe Wheeler State Park, Al
Vessel Name: Serenity
Vessel Model: Mainship 36 Dual Cabin -1986
have you considered getting a HAM radio for SSB?
Old 11-27-2013, 07:16 AM   #10
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain K View Post
Lots of good information available via SSB once you obtain broadcast schedules and frequencies from any of the above referenced sources. Ditto on Chris Parker Weather net for superb info in the Bahamas and throughout the Caribbean. No license is required to listen; however, if you want to transmit on SSB you will need a license (Marine Radio Operators Permit). They're fairly easy to obtain from the US FCC (Federal Communications Commission) and no longer expire.
Thanks, was not aware you need a permit though.
Nordhavn 47 Hull #12
Old 11-27-2013, 07:18 AM   #11
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony B View Post
have you considered getting a HAM radio for SSB?
Not really because I'm just learning all the possibilities of an SSB. Don't really think I need ,but I might as learn how to use it if it's there.
Nordhavn 47 Hull #12
Old 11-27-2013, 07:23 AM   #12
TF Site Team

City: Jacksonville
We have the ICM802 with a SCS Pactor 3 modem. This allows us to send and receive emails and weather fax anywhere in the world. You can't surf the net but it's an easy way to stay in touch. You can usually find a used Pactor on E Bay or on the coconut telegraph. For SSB you'll be using Sailmail which costs $250/year.

SailMail

If you get your ham license (IC-M802 is ham ready), you can use Winlink. It's free with basically unlimited time.

http://www.winlink.org/

We have a subscription to Bouyweather and get daily weather forecasts and also passage forecasts. We have done the same thing with weather forecasts from Chris Parker. You can also download weather faxes from anywhere in the world.

http://www.nws.noaa.gov/om/marine/rfax.pdf

HF Radio is a wonderful tool!
Larry M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 07:32 AM   #13
Guru

City: Thibodaux, Louisiana
Vessel Name: Gumbo
Vessel Model: 2003 Monk 36
There are several book on the subject I have one o the boat I can't remrmber the name now, here is a link to another
The ICOM M802 Radio Manual for "Idi-Yachts": Capt. Marti Brown: 9780971564046: Amazon.com: Books
Old 11-27-2013, 07:33 AM   #14
TF Site Team

Oliver: When you start playing around with your radio, turn off all your onboard electronics which include you refrigeration, battery charger/inverter, florescent lights, etc. They will interferer with your reception. An easy way to get started is to listen to VOA or any of the news channels and start turning things back on. You'll be amazed at what interferes with the signal. You can also set your clocks to HF Timed Broadcasts. They give the time continually. Here are some of the frequencies: 5 MHz, 8MHz, 10MHz, 15MHz and 20MHz
Old 11-27-2013, 07:37 AM   #15
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry M View Post
We have the ICM802 with a SCS Pactor 3 modem. This allows us to send and receive emails and weather fax anywhere in the world. You can't surf the net but it's an easy way to stay in touch. You can usually find a used Pactor on E Bay or on the coconut telegraph. For SSB you'll be using Sailmail which costs $250/year. SailMail If you get your ham license (IC-M802 is ham ready), you can use Winlink. It's free with basically unlimited time. http://www.winlink.org/ We have a subscription to Bouyweather and get daily weather forecasts and also passage forecasts. We have done the same thing with weather forecasts from Chris Parker. You can also download weather faxes from anywhere in the world. http://www.nws.noaa.gov/om/marine/rfax.pdf HF Radio is a wonderful tool!
Thanks I'll take a look at the websites, for now I'll just use it for forecasts, then if I like it maybe get an license.
Nordhavn 47 Hull #12
Old 11-27-2013, 07:39 AM   #16
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve View Post
There are several book on the subject I have one o the boat I can't remrmber the name now, here is a link to another The ICOM M802 Radio Manual for "Idi-Yachts": Capt. Marti Brown: 9780971564046: Amazon.com: Books
Thanks, I'll Check out that book.
Nordhavn 47 Hull #12
Old 11-27-2013, 07:40 AM   #17
Guru

Quote:
Oliver: When you start playing around with your radio, turn off all your onboard electronics which include you refrigeration, battery charger/inverter, florescent lights, etc. They will interferer with your reception. An easy way to get started is to listen to VOA or any of the news channels and start turning things back on. You'll be amazed at what interferes with the signal. You can also set your clocks to HF Timed Broadcasts. They give the time continually. Here are some of the frequencies: 5 MHz, 8MHz, 10MHz, 15MHz and 20MHz
Wow didn't know that thanks for the heads up.
Nordhavn 47 Hull #12
Old 11-27-2013, 07:58 AM   #18
TF Site Team

Quote:
Thanks I'll take a look at the websites, for now I'll just use it for forecasts, then if I like it maybe get an license.
For SSB frequencies you'll need to submit an application to the FCC but no test. I believe this is the same form you need to fill out if you are going to use your VHF radio outside the US. This one license will cover your SSB, VHF, EPIRB plus a few others. Anyone have the form number or want to add to this?

You will need to take a test for your Ham license if you are going to broadcast on the ham frequencies.
Old 11-27-2013, 08:00 AM   #19
Guru

Quote:
For SSB frequencies you'll need to submit an application to the FCC but no test. I believe this is the same form you need to fill out if you are going to use your VHF radio outside the US. This one license will cover your SSB, VHF, EPIRB plus a few others. Anyone have the form number or want to add to this? You will need to take a test for your Ham license if you are going to broadcast on the ham frequencies.
So I have to submit a forum to the FCC to listen in on frequencies?
Nordhavn 47 Hull #12
Old 11-27-2013, 08:13 AM   #20
Guru

City: Tampa, FL
Quote:
So I have to submit a forum to the FCC to listen in on frequencies?
No, you are free to listen without any forms required. You only need to register with the FCC if you wish to transmit.
denverd0n is offline   Reply With Quote