Old 12-19-2013, 05:01 PM   #21

City: Palmetto Bay
Vessel Name: Sunshine
Vessel Model: Island Pilot DSe 12m Hybrid
Buying a steel plate to heat up so you can then heat up an old pot or pan is missing the point - the value of having an induction cook top in the first place is to use less energy with the added benefit of not having a hot cook top keeping burns to a minimum. My guess is by the time you've heated up the steel plate then heated up your aluminum pot or pan you might have just kept your old cook top? My guess is the cook would love an excuse to get new pots and pans, too? LOL.

Old 12-19-2013, 05:29 PM   #22
Moderator Emeritus

City: St. Marks, Florida
Vessel Name: Morgan
Vessel Model: Gulfstar 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjtrane View Post
Buying a steel plate to heat up so you can then heat up an old pot or pan is missing the point - the value of having an induction cook top in the first place is to use less energy with the added benefit of not having a hot cook top keeping burns to a minimum. My guess is by the time you've heated up the steel plate then heated up your aluminum pot or pan you might have just kept your old cook top? My guess is the cook would love an excuse to get new pots and pans, too? LOL.
I thought that also, when I read about the steel plate. But didn't say so, mostly because I didn't have any facts to back me up in case someone called me on it. :-) I bought an induction burner (just one burner) for my boat, and found a couple of pots in Goodwill that a magnet stuck to. About $5 each as I recall. Good condition, too.

Old 12-19-2013, 06:05 PM   #23

City: New Castle, Delaware
Vessel Name: Belladonna
Vessel Model: Monark 58 custom
Ahhh....but I think you are missing the point as well There are many people who might want to upgrade galley/kitchens because a range has failed, or is on its last leg. Or perhaps because they are doing the whole galley. My neighbor just did hers.

But you see, she has a favorite pasta pot that is huge, has the strainer, etc. She has yet to find a similar pot in iron, or with an iron base. She doesn't want to give up on using this since it helps her to entertain. If someone brings a pot of something for a gathering and its not iron she can still throw it on and heat it up.

Hence, the iron plate.

There also may be some who having spent thousands of $ renovating, might want to hang on to their pots and pans for a while and count those as another large purchase down the road. A nice set can run $400-$600.

Just saying its another option. If it were not a good one why would some induction burners now COME WITH one? As for it being hot, well of course it is! lol I for one have had a hot stove around all my life and somehow survived

I know, I know...that's one of the reasons to GET an induction burner. But there are also reasons maybe to have a plate tucked away somewhere too.
aronhk_md is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 06:29 PM   #24

City: Bayfield, WI
Vessel Name: All Night Long
Vessel Model: Regal 2765
Quote:
Originally Posted by aronhk_md View Post
A nice set can run $400-$600.
I have to make a pitch for the Circulon Infinite series cookware here. It is incredibly rugged (only non-stick that is both dishwasher and broiler (!) safe), induction ready, and very, very affordable. A set of two pans is like $60 on Amazon. The 10 piece set is less than $300. I got rid of my Calphalon and only use this now. Oh they do make a portable induction plate too, but I've never used it.

Circulon Infinite Hard Anodized Nonstick 10-Inch and 12-Inch Skillets Twin Pack : Amazon.com : Kitchen & Dining
BDofMSP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 09:10 PM   #25
Veteran Member

City: Erie, PA
Vessel Name: LIBERTY
Vessel Model: Pilgrim 40
I second the motion concerning the Circulon Infinite series cookware. We also bought the 10 piece set and are completely satisfied.
drf6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2013, 05:08 AM   #26

City: Vienna
Vessel Name: DODO
Vessel Model: Selene 40
Sorry, forget these price tags today.

2011 we made the switch from gas to induction on our boat and purchased IKEA 365+ cookware and itīs great! A 7-piece set is $ 49,99 and the same quality as the expensive “premium” cookware (WMF) we use at home. The admiral is replacing the pots and pans at home with IKEA 365+.
IKEA 365+ cookware series - IKEA

At home we have an induction cooktop with touch panel, usually fine but with wet hands it does not always work properly. Same story with the ceramic before. So for our boat we purchased a 2 burner with knobs and are very happy.

We have a Victron Quattro 3000 and no, absolute no problems running the induction cooktop and other devices at the same time.

Karl
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Dodo_527.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	56.2 KB
ID:	25939  
dodo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2013, 07:36 AM   #27
Guru

City: South FL
Vessel Name: Oliver
Vessel Model: Nordhavn 47 Hull# 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by dodo View Post
Sorry, forget these price tags today. 2011 we made the switch from gas to induction on our boat and purchased IKEA 365+ cookware and itīs great! A 7-piece set is $ 49,99 and the same quality as the expensive “premium” cookware (WMF) we use at home. The admiral is replacing the pots and pans at home with IKEA 365+. IKEA 365+ cookware series - IKEA At home we have an induction cooktop with touch panel, usually fine but with wet hands it does not always work properly. Same story with the ceramic before. So for our boat we purchased a 2 burner with knobs and are very happy. We have a Victron Quattro 3000 and no, absolute no problems running the induction cooktop and other devices at the same time. Karl
Very, nice and clean install!!
Nordhavn 47 Hull #12
N4712 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2013, 08:05 AM   #28
Guru

Vessel Name: Anastasia III
Vessel Model: Krogen 42
I bought a Max Burton brand off Amazon and love it! Most of my pots and pans work with it, only the cheapie aluminum ones don't. Like someone said, you can pick up ones that will at the Goodwill or other resale shop, or garage sales for next to nothing.

Keith is offline   Reply With Quote