Old 06-17-2016, 04:37 PM   #41
Guru

City: Full-time onboard
Vessel Model: Trawler
I don't have the hardware change so I didn't see that. We're in the process of swapping out my unit.

You update the firmware within the iKommunicate admin panel directly.

The thing works really well. I've had mine on now for 3 weeks continuously and it doesn't miss a beat, need a restart, or anything else odd. It's just working for me.

Jeffrey S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2016, 08:09 PM   #42
Guru

City: Meydenbauer Bay Yacht Club
Vessel Name: Refugio
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffrey S View Post
I don't have the hardware change so I didn't see that. We're in the process of swapping out my unit.

You update the firmware within the iKommunicate admin panel directly.

The thing works really well. I've had mine on now for 3 weeks continuously and it doesn't miss a beat, need a restart, or anything else odd. It's just working for me.
Updating is supposed to be via the online admin panel or the micro SD card stored under the "iKommunicate plan end cap", but - get this - that feature wasn't working until the latest release which...you can't get anywhere. I have a 12vdc power supply at home so I just plugged it in and did the automatic update to the June 8th firmware, but there's no sign of the June 16th update (per Paul Sumpner):
  • "The Device List had been working for months, but a recent change to the code broke this feature and it was not picked up by our firmware release testing, as we only tested with our simulated N2K network rather than a real one ! We have taken steps to ensure that all releases (big and small) will be tested on both our simulated and real N2K network.
  • If you download the latest firmware, released yesterday, this is fixed. Also with this release is the new Upload Firmware function that allows you to download the firmware on another device and then upload it via the web interface if you do not have internet connectivity on the boat."
User "marinereview" is reporting that his installed system is continuously rebooting "about every 6 minutes". He doesn't have the ability to "Upload" from the microSD card, and so he's going to have to get online with the device, do a quick scan for the device, log in, access the admin page, download the new version (when it becomes downloadable!), and reboot the device...in under 6 minutes.

As we are all (you, me, Digital Yacht) software developers I think you can appreciate the "epic fail" here.

Old 06-22-2016, 01:57 PM   #43
Guru

iKomminicate gateway

I just got an email saying the new firmware was available, so I updated and yes the new off-line update page is there. It will be interesting to see if it will stay up more than the few hours at a time.

Keith
Old 06-22-2016, 02:06 PM   #44
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale
I don't know what problem I have that they're really addressing. I just don't get excited over pre-market things on kickstarter. However, the discussion is very interesting.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2016, 05:55 PM   #45
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by BandB View Post
I don't know what problem I have that they're really addressing.
I have a minor use case that I'm envisioning. I have an Airmar WS-200X on my N2K network, connected to my laptop via an Actisense NGT-1 USB emulating a COM port. So that connection can only be used by one app on the laptop. I typically have it connected to Coastal Explorer but I would like to be able to use Weathercaster to show all the weather (particularly wind) data - and I can't use both at the same time. I could install a 2nd NGT-1, but...

...I'm envisioning a Weather page on the iKommunicate that I can hit from a web browser - on my nav PC or actually any device on my boat's LAN (wired or WiFi).

But I just checked it so see if the device was still up from this morning and it had locked and couldn't respond to a web request even though the Status light was green and there was no Error light. I had to power cycle it to get it going again so I have no idea how long it was operational, whether it would have eventually rebooted itself, or in fact any idea what happened. And before I could even finish typing this message it's again unreachable. Not good.
Old 06-22-2016, 07:17 PM   #46
Guru

City: Full-time onboard
Vessel Model: Trawler
Quote:
Originally Posted by refugio View Post
And before I could even finish typing this message it's again unreachable. Not good.
I hope you're contacting them about it. They can give you a command to trace everything so they'll see what's going on.

Mine has been running for 3+ weeks and hasn't had a problem. The only reason it's 3 weeks and not 10 is that I turned off the network circuit breaker a few weeks ago to reset the router.
Jeffrey S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2016, 10:01 PM   #47
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffrey S View Post
I hope you're contacting them about it. They can give you a command to trace everything so they'll see what's going on.
I've posted a few messages but there hasn't been a response. I did get an email from Paul asking for more information.

Keith
Old 06-23-2016, 10:46 AM   #48
Guru

Update: Paul also posted on the forum (another user is having the same experience) and has put me in touch with the CamanoLight developers.
Old 06-29-2016, 05:33 PM   #49
Guru

Update #2: a new firmware has apparently fixed my issue. I have also learned about the multiplexing capabilities of this device which will allow me to remove my NGT-1 and I don't also need to add an NGW-1-AIS to process 0183 AIS. I'll have all my 0183 and N2K data available to my nav laptop and any other devices on my boat LAN.

Keith