Old 04-09-2014, 09:36 AM   #1
Veteran Member

City: Newburyport, MA
Vessel Name: Kairos
Vessel Model: Island Pilot 395
ID these antenna and connector?

Hi Folks,

First, we sold our Cheer Men PT41 trawler this past November and bought a 36' Hunt Express. 8kts just wasn't working for our lifestyle and available time. 24kts should do just fine:-) Hope I can still hang out here and seek/offer advice from time-to-time. The boat is in MD now (i'm in MA) and we are hopefully heading down next week to bring it back home.

Second, who builds a boat without a stereo?? Apparently Hunt... Oh well, now I get to pick out the one I want.

Questions:
-Take a look at the attached photos. I have two ~36" antenna. I assume the thicker one is the VHF..but what about the skinny one? Could that be an FM antenna that was installed with some forethought that someone might actually want a stereo someday?
-There is also a "stub" on the mast wing. Perhaps just a stub, but could be from an old TV antenna? See below...
-Take look at the helm pic and the small round connector to the right of the AP. What is that?

Thanks,
Donny
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0372.jpg   IMG_0407.jpg   4450977_20130903071747226_1_XLARGE.jpg  
DonnyP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 09:46 AM   #2
Guru

City: Port Townsend Washington
Vessel Name: " OTTER "
Vessel Model: Ocean Alexander Europa 40
the squatty body is a vhf.. it is designed to sit up the mast on a sailboat... get a better one.

the fat one is similar to a cell phone antenna we had on a previous boat, they probably connected it to the phone through the connector on the dash.

the "stub" is a extra threaded mount.

Beautiful boat by the way!

HOLLYWOOD
hollywood8118 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 10:10 AM   #3
Veteran Member

City: Newburyport, MA
Vessel Name: Kairos
Vessel Model: Island Pilot 395
Thanks Hollywood, much appreciated.

Sounds like a good plan would be to replace the phone antenna with a good FM and use the old wire to pull the new one to the helm.

-Donny
DonnyP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 10:14 AM   #4
Guru

City: St. Petersburg, Florida
Vessel Name: M/V Sherpa
Vessel Model: 24' Vashon Diesel Cruiser
The connector looks like a BNC style; but I am fairly certain that hollywood is correct--it appears to be to a cell phone antenna. Too bad many cell phones now adays lack provision for an external antenna--this would come in handy. I'd seriously like to have an external antenna for my next cell phone so I can better pick-up 4G when I'm on the water.
Vashon_Trawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 10:20 AM   #5
Guru

City: South FL
Vessel Name: Oliver
Vessel Model: Nordhavn 47 Hull# 12
Our boat also came without a stereo I feel you. Welcome aboard! I also concur with others, looks like a cellular antenna.
Nordhavn 47 Hull #12
N4712 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 10:38 AM   #6

City: Baltimore
the Samsung 4s has ext antenna ports. Not sure about the Iphone...doubt it. The reason i went with it was that and the SD card port.
eseyoung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 05:22 AM   #7
FF
Guru

the squatty body is a vhf.. it is designed to sit up the mast on a sailboat... get a better one.

Better?

Many boats will have a huge long range VHF antenna that must be hand lowered to pass under bridges,.

The usual channel to talk to bridges or locks is restricted to low power.

When lowered the big antenna does squat on low power.

The sailboat VHF works fine as it need not be lowered and with its base coil sounds louder than the low power output would suggest.
Might even wake the bridge tender!
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 09:14 AM   #8
Guru

City: Port Townsend Washington
Vessel Name: " OTTER "
Vessel Model: Ocean Alexander Europa 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by FF View Post

Better?

Many boats will have a huge long range VHF antenna that must be hand lowered to pass under bridges,.

The usual channel to talk to bridges or locks is restricted to low power.

When lowered the big antenna does squat on low power.

The sailboat VHF works fine as it need not be lowered and with its base coil sounds louder than the low power output would suggest.
Might even wake the bridge tender!
if the O.P. wants to have better vhf range the squatty body antenna was designed with a lower db gain.. but it gets additional range due to being mounted high on a sail boat mast. Some people don't have to worry about bridges and want to have the best possible range if they are offshore or is a desolate region, or as in the PNW around a lot of hills
HOLLYWOOD
hollywood8118 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 11:08 AM   #9
FF
Guru

As always when outfitting for service in a particular area what makes sense locally varies.

The base coil gives a short antenna a 6 DB boost , higher is possible depending on weather its worth the extra effort when inshore.

My point was laying flat even a 20DB antenna is basically useless.
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 12:11 PM   #10
TF Site Team

City: California Delta
Vessel Name: FlyWright
Vessel Model: 1977 Marshall Californian 34 LRC
Like Vashon Trawler said, that connector on your panel looks like a BNC connector, commonly used for antenna connections. Could be a spare GPS antenna, VHF antenna or cellphone antenna...you'll need to trace the cable or perform a continuity test by bridging the two cable wires and testing for continuity at the other end at your antennas.

@DeltaBridges - 25 Delta Bridges in 25 Days
FlyWright is offline   Reply With Quote