Icom CommandmicII not working correct

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cardude01

Guru
Vessel Name
Bijou
Vessel Make
2008 Island Packet PY/SP
ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1433503246.150073.jpg

I have this mic at the bridge that's hooked up to the Icom radio down below.

The mic works only as a mic, but none of the other functions work like changing channels, volume, etc.

Is this operator error or is the mic bad? Can I open it up and "clean" it or something?

Also, is there a way to mount a speaker at the bridge? I can barely hear the speaker down below.

That mic has a speaker in it. Bet it's a wiring issue. Wouldn't open it. Send it back to icom for checkout.

One more thing. Spray some tuner cleaner into the plug end and onto the pins on the radio end.

I don't have a Commandmic, but...

Do you have the ICOM manual? Our radios (IC-604) seems to indicate the optional Commandmic should be connected to one of two different output ports, i.e., different ports from the regular front or rear mic connections.

Assuming connections are correct, though... Doesn't look like there anything much involved in working it.

Should be a speaker in the mic itself... Ours does have an external speaker connection port, but it shares that with GPS output (NMEA 0183), so if you have that it may be in use already?

Have you checked with ICOM?

-Chris

Last edited:
There is a cable from the radio to bridge. Disconnect that cable at the back of the radio and connect the mic there and test. If it's the cable, get a replacement.

Got the other functions working. Operator error.

Speaker in mic still won't work. Tried what the manual said to do. No joy. Called icom but didn't get to a human. Left email also.

I have the same mic on my FB mounted Icom M422. I recently added an external speaker to supplement the mic speaker at the lower helm. It connects to the yellow wire on the radio back panel. I found that the volume on the command mic does not control the volume at the radio - it's the radio volume that's directed to the speaker. I have to adjust the volume on the FB at the radio. I'll be adding an inline volume control to the ext speaker feed.

I had the mic lock up on me once and fund I had unintentionally activated the lock feature on the command mic controls. Not very user friendly, but it works.

Ok. Thanks for the ideas everyone.

Back
Top Bottom