Icom 506 AIS output over NMEA 0183

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Arthurc

Guru
Vessel Name
Sea Bear
Vessel Make
Kadey-Krogen 54
Hi,
I just installed an icom m506 with AIS, it's taking the NMEA 0183 gps input but the only thing it seems to be outputting is some proprietary sentence. Has anyone been able to get an ais output over NMEA 0183 on this radio? It's outputting to my computer running coastal explorer.
The sentence I'm getting is $picoa,16,00,DSC,LNK,3677862400,v*15

Thoughts or ideas would be greatly appreciated. I checked and nothing seems to come across at 38000, the above sentence is at 4800.

Thanks!!

Check the wiring. The nmea connections are a real nuisance, it took a while to connect my Standard Horizon to a Si-tex. Wire colours are supposed to be industry standard but in reality few are. One gotcha, some radios use a common for the negative power connection AND the common nmea connection. Good luck, try and use a terminal bar for the connections so you can make easy changes.

If only it was that simple, I've double checked the connections and have used what little best practices there are for NMEA 0183 wiring. I think it's a hidden setting in my icom since the computer is getting a clear output from the icom, it's just not the AIS output...

How is the computer connected to the M506? N2K I'll bet.

The M506 only outputs AIS to N2K. It does not send it to 0183. It's not well called out, but can be inferred by looking at the supported sentences and PGNs.

Well that is super irritating... are you sure?
Under the NMEA 0183 section the manual clearly says "connect to NMEA input lines of navigation equipment to receive position data of other ships" on page 101, also only some versions of the radio have N2k.

I'm also installing a Furuno FA170 so that might have 0183 output, my whole system is 0183 and working so hoping not to mess with N2k.

AC

Under the NMEA 0183 section the manual clearly says "connect to NMEA input lines of navigation equipment to receive position data of other ships" on page 101, also only some versions of the radio have N2k

That section on page 101 goes on to say:
A NMEA 0183 (ver. 2.0 or later) sentence format DSC or DSE compatible navigation equipment is required.
Those are DSC sentences, not AIS sentences. So I interpret the manual to really mean: Connect to NMEA input lines of navigation equipment, to receive DSC position data of other ships.

The manual appears to be silent on passing AIS data via 0183. The PGNs for AIS are listed for 2000 on page 90.

All this suggests to me TT is indeed correct.

Disclaimer: I have no personal experience with this Icom unit but have been playing with 0183 and 2000 and AIS lately on my network.

Last edited:

Under the NMEA 0183 section the manual clearly says "connect to NMEA input lines of navigation equipment to receive position data of other ships" on page 101, also only some versions of the radio have N2k.

I'm also installing a Furuno FA170 so that might have 0183 output, my whole system is 0183 and working so hoping not to mess with N2k.

AC

I'm quite certain. You are not the first person burned by this. The 0183 port speed can't be set to 38kb either which is a giveaway that it doesn't support AIS.

You might consider the Standard Horizon drop in equivalent. Model is 6500 i think. It actually includes a full class b tranceive, but with e Fa170 you won't need that.

I'll be real interested to hear how you like the FA170.

Thanks everyone, you were correct. I've decided to add a box that will output GPS and AIS over TCP to the mix, not only for CE, but can use as a backup AIS, also this will be easy for iSailor to pickup on the iPad.
Will then use the FA170 for nmea out to the radar which is a Furuno 1935.

Should have the FA170 in by the end of July.
AC

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom